Sabotage is afoot

Swamp Eagle

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

?

I don’t think this is on Lane. He wants to leave and can’t say anything. 

They're responding to internet rumors, which is really all we have had during this search.  Somehow, there have been no leaks in this search.  He may want to leave, but I'm not at all clear that Auburn is on board that train.  He may not be the guy at all .. he may have been a red herring all along.

My point was that everywhere Lane has coached, except maybe FAU, he left wreckage and angry people in his wake.  This rumor is having the same effect, and it may not even be true!  

29 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

Agree with you.  Phillip Marshall has said nobody knows who Auburn is talking to except Cohen and McGlynn.  There are no leaks in this search.

My theory is that the mob came up with a shortlist when Harsin was fired, and in the absence of any leaks or actual journalism to find out what's been happening, that shortlist is all they had.  So, the chattering class narrowed the shortlist based on some imaginary criteria, and that's what they're reporting. 

Lane is the top candidate reported b/c no one actually knows who all Cohen is interviewing.  I sure do hope they've found someone better than Lane Kiffin and Hugh Freeze.

This can all be true, but the original guy who broke it isn't affiliated with Auburn and didn't get his Cohen source from Auburn. He's state of Mississippi plugged in, and doesn't gain anything from killing his rep there to get a couple quick clicks from primarily Auburn fans

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Give us some good examples besides these. 

You mean, who do I want them to hire?  My choice was, and is, Dan Lanning. 

We need to move to a defensive coach.  Offensive coaches are a dime a dozen .. just look across the country!  All the offenses look approximately the same, although admittedly some do a better job than others.  But, the key to building the juggernaut is to build a suffocating, swarming defense to shut these fast offenses down.  Heck, Lane's train was shut down by a herd of swarming Hawgs! 

Dan Lanning has the SEC pedigree, coached under Saban and Kirby, and he's a GREAT recruiter.  IMO, he is going to build a stout program somewhere, and I'd like him to do that at Auburn, not Oregon, or worse, at another SEC competitor.

Yes, I know what Lanning said.  I watched his "denial", but his non-verbals didn't match his words, and I think he IS interested.  He gave "reasons", but he didn't actually deny interest.  Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm just a football snob, but he's an SEC guy, and once you've played/coached in the best conference in the country, half filled stadiums of half hearted ducks on the rainy left coast just doesn't make the cut.  Auburn should go out there and do whatever it takes to bring him back!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This can all be true, but the original guy who broke it isn't affiliated with Auburn and didn't get his Cohen source from Auburn. He's state of Mississippi plugged in, and doesn't gain anything from killing his rep there to get a couple quick clicks from primarily Auburn fans

He is not affiliated with Auburn, but he also doesn't have a named source for any of his "reporting".  "Sources say" is not credible journalism.  That alone should kill his rep.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Maybe he's a Miss St. grad .. 😊

8 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

We need to move to a defensive coach.  Offensive coaches are a dime a dozen .. just look across the country!  All the offenses look approximately the same, although admittedly some do a better job than others.  But, the key to building the juggernaut is to build a suffocating, swarming defense to shut these fast offenses down.  Heck, Lane's train was shut down by a herd of swarming Hawgs! 

Dan Lanning has the SEC pedigree, coached under Saban and Kirby, and he's a GREAT recruiter.  IMO, he is going to build a stout program somewhere, and I'd like him to do that at Auburn, not Oregon, or worse, at another SEC competitor.

Yes, I know what Lanning said.  I watched his "denial", but his non-verbals didn't match his words, and I think he IS interested.  He gave "reasons", but he didn't actually deny interest.  Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm just a football snob, but he's an SEC guy, and once you've played/coached in the best conference in the country, half filled stadiums of half hearted ducks on the rainy left coast just doesn't make the cut.  Auburn should go out there and do whatever it takes to bring him back!

Dan Lanning isn't coming here. Quit dreaming. 

My preference would be that LK just stay off of social media. However…it’s not like he said “absolutely untrue,” “I’ve signed an extension with Ole Miss,” or “No way.” 

so…

Also…can we have a serious conversation sometime about how in the world The University of Mississippi still has so many tie-ins to the Civil War South and still manages to recruit at all? It’s mind blowing to me. Just sayin. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, passthebiscuits said:

My preference would be that LK just stay off of social media. However…it’s not like he said “absolutely untrue,” “I’ve signed an extension with Ole Miss,” or “No way.” 

so…

Also…can we have a serious conversation sometime about how in the world The University of Mississippi still has so many tie-ins to the Civil War South and still manages to recruit at all? It’s mind blowing to me. Just sayin. 

Like what? I don’t know much about the school. I mean, I get the mascot thing, but what are the other university ties?

21 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

so…

Colonel Reb will never not be part of their “tradition” despite their “efforts” to re-brand. Ole Miss is so ingrained in old southern money, it’ll never catch up with the times. I went to a show at a bar/venue there a few years ago that had Sambo art behind the bar. Wildly openly racist. 

Picture any college kid in short shorts, dock siders, and any form of Vineyard Vines/Comfort Colors t shirts and/or hats coupled with the “my dad is a lawyer” stereotype, and you’ve found your miserable way into Oxford, MS. The food is pretty good though I guess and the ladies are pretty. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, swimmama said:

I am no expert but I want someone who wants to come to Auburn and build something special. Kiffin drifts from one place to the next.  I also seriously doubt if he would be happy with all the joy and love that has been given to Cadillac. I just don’t think he is really a fit for us but seems like he’s what we are getting—-until he moves on somewhere else and then we start all over again. 
    This is our AD’s first big hire. I sure wouldn’t do it the day before the Iron Bowl. These boys are giving their hearts to Cadillac and the other coaches. 
   Guess we will see soon

war Eagle

Yeah you are no expert for sure. Kiffin has been working his way up towards a job like Auburn since he lost his dream job at USC. They pulled trigger too fast while on major probation from the Pete Carroll years. He’s done nothing different than any other coach… myth. Auburn is a top 15 job. Ole Miss is not. Did you expect him to stay as an OC at Bammer or a Head Coach at Florida Atlantic? Get real. 

Edited by TigerTaz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TigerTaz said:

Auburn is a top 15 job. Ole Miss is not. 

Therein lies the truth. I don't buy that Kiffin or any other coach AU hires is likely to bail out for "a better job". To do that he'd have to be winning big at Auburn and if he's winning big here there is not a better job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I believe kiffin is a Southern California guy.  He’s implied it before. He left tenn without thinking twice in under a year. While some may fret about bama, I think usc (part 2?) or ucla are potentially more the issue. They’ll be big 10.

LK

See the source image

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Therein lies the truth. I don't buy that Kiffin or any other coach AU hires is likely to bail out for "a better job". To do that he'd have to be winning big at Auburn and if he's winning big here there is not a better job.

From beginning to end, that actually…. makes a lot of sense.  

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

AU is a Top 15 job. Like it or not (myself included), bammer is a Top 2 job.

No, Kiffin does not need to win "big" at AU for bammer to consider him as Saban's successor. 8-9 wins is plenty.

Kiffin has the immature, impatient personality, the "suitcase" history, thus the disloyal coach he is, to leave anywhere for a chance to HC a Top 2 job and will grin on his way out, just as he's doing to Ole Miss.

I still ultimately believe it will be Dabo replacing Saban.

But I guarantee Kiffin will be heavily interested when it opens and it will come down to those two choices.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

No, Kiffin does not need to win "big" at AU for bammer to consider him as Saban's successor. 8-9 wins is plenty.

Kiffin has the immature, impatient personality, the "suitcase" history, thus the disloyal coach he is, to leave anywhere for a chance to HC a Top 2 job and will grin on his way out, just as he's doing to Ole Miss.

But I guarantee Kiffin will be heavily interested when it opens and it will come down to those two choices.

If he gets us up and running well enough for bama to come calling,  what can bama offer that Auburn can not match.  PLUS,  he wouldn't have to live in Tuscaloosa.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Only AUB fans... We haven't even hired the dude yet and cats on here talking about him leaving for NFL or Bama... It's amazing.  

Paranoia runs rampant. Just like some saying Deion would leave for FSU. We're not a stepping stone school and if he does leave, so what? As others have pointed out, that means he was successful here. I'll take that if that's my choice between our last 3 coaches, being fired and still on the payroll. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Viper said:

U think the pompas, arrogant arses at  Bama would stoop so low as to hire a AU coach? I dont 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

I believe kiffin is a Southern California guy.  He’s implied it before. He left tenn without thinking twice in under a year. While some may fret about bama, I think usc (part 2?) or ucla are potentially more the issue. They’ll be big 10.

I think you are right about the SoCal thing.  For him to end up at USCw again, the current administration would gave to change or he would have to very successful at his previous stop (multiple nattys).  But I could so see him bolting to UCLA, if the opportunity became available.

Guest MustardSeed
7 hours ago, lovemytigerz said:

Satan literally said “I will not be the coach at Alabama”…then like 2 weeks later became the coach at Alabama. Denials are meaningless. They only occur because hack media jobs hound people and force them to answer a question about meetings behind closed doors that can’t be made public for risk of derailing the deals. 
Id take Lanning in a heartbeat. I do hope he’s at least getting vetted for interest and interviewed if he’d do one. 

Are there click bait threads on this forum? So the sabotage is... Bama conspires w/ Kiffin to drag down Auburn then he'll beat Dabo & the field for Bama HC? In the age of dumbfounding conspiracy theories, this one is hilarious!

Btw y'all have seen Kiffins reaction to this dime store reporters sourceless and illogical story ("sources say Kiffin to auburn but auburn hasnt offerred") yes? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest MustardSeed
2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Are there click bait threads on this forum? So the sabotage is... Bama conspires w/ Kiffin to drag down Auburn then he'll beat Dabo & the field for Bama HC? In the age of dumbfounding conspiracy theories, this one is hilarious!

Btw y'all have seen Kiffins reaction to this dime store reporters sourceless and illogical story ("sources say Kiffin to auburn but auburn hasnt offerred") yes? 

I do find it hilarious the report says no one has been offered the job. That way the reporters can just say, we heard Lane Kiffin said he’d take the job, but it was true when we said no one had been offered…and they ended up not offering Lane…therefore we didn’t really lie. 
Man modern day reporting is a scam

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

This dimestore reporter did break Cohen to Auburn B4 most of us even knew John Cohen existed, so there is that.

• Like 1