Sabotage is afoot

Swamp Eagle

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

FYI I don't know why it shows you responding to @dyehardfanAU. I believe he is in full agreement.

Yea I see that now lol. It made me think I was in the twilight zone for a second. it was in response to @lovemytigerz post where he called LK a mediocre coach.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

PTB told me that Hugh Freeze would be the coach last spring. Sorry PTB lol

Off subject. If Harsin was literally that dead of a man walking (not kind of dead, completely dead) - they already had “their guy” tagged - what the hell was the last 6-9 months even about? This is why the press eats us up.

• Like 1

Just now, auburnatl1 said:

Off subject. If Harsin was literally that dead of a man walking (not kind of dead, completely dead) - they already had “their guy” tagged - what the hell was the last 6-9 months even about? This is why the press eats us up.

That is the 17-million-dollar question. But I am not sure they had their guy tagged just yet. I think this is one of the first times in a long time, Auburn is actually proactive versus reactive.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

the fact you call Kiffin a mediocre coach and then place Lanning on a pedestal over him is crazy imo. Lanning is a good young prospect, but there is a lot of time left to see how he shakes out as a hc. I mean, Oregon is exactly playing a tough schedule, yet they still aren't able to navigate it. He may turn out to be the next Kirby, but it is way to early to know that. 

Guess it was way to early to know that about Kirby when Auburn passed on him in 2013 to hire flashy guru Gus and his sandlot high school offense.

No pedestals .. just want Auburn to hire a great football mind who can rebuild Auburn as a powerhouse.  Lane doesn't have a great football mind; he has analytics, and believes his "scenario probability tables" will always provide the winning decision matrix, all evidence to the contrary.  Heck, Lane's train was stopped cold by a herd of swarming Hawgs! 

One other stat:  Lane is the 29th winningest coach in the country.  That's 6 places behind Gus Malzahn, and 10 places behind Bryan Harsin.  http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

Coaching Record 

Year School G W L T Pct SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Post Bowl Notes
11 Yrs Overall 130 85 45 0 .654 9.09 2.95       3-3  
1 Yr Tennessee 13 7 6 0 .538 8.94 5.48       0-1  
4 Yrs USC 43 28 15 0 .651 12.00 5.47       0-1  
3 Yrs Florida Atlantic 40 27 13 0 .675 4.52 -3.12       2-0  
3 Yrs Ole Miss 34 23 11 0 .676 9.85 4.80       1-1
2009 Tennessee 13 7 6 0 .538 8.94 5.48       Chick-fil-A Bowl-L  
2010 USC 13 8 5 0 .615 9.57 6.41 14 14      
2011 USC 12 10 2 0 .833 14.16 3.49 25 5 6    
2012 USC 13 7 6 0 .538 10.53 5.76 1 1   Sun Bowl-L  
2013 USC 5 3 2 0 .600 13.72 6.22 24 19 19    
2017 Florida Atlantic 14 11 3 0 .786 8.01 -4.78       Boca Raton Bowl-W  
2018 Florida Atlantic 12 5 7 0 .417 -2.73 -2.15          
2019 Florida Atlantic 14 11 3 0 .786 8.28 -2.43       Boca Raton Bowl-W  
2020 Ole Miss 10 5 5 0 .500 8.07 7.57       Outback Bowl-W  
2021 Ole Miss 13 10 3 0 .769 11.43 4.05   8 11 Sugar Bowl-L  
2022 Ole Miss 11 8 3 0 .727 10.05 2.78 21 7      

We need to go back to a defensive coach.  Offensive coaches are a dime a dozen .. just look across the country!  All the offenses look approximately the same, although admittedly some do a better job than others.  But, the key to building the juggernaut is to build a suffocating, swarming defense to shut these fast offenses down. 

When we examine the behemoth football programs over the past 30-40 years, the difference between good teams, even great teams, and perennial behemoth championship teams is a defensive head coach who built a suffocating defense.  Auburn needs to hire a great defensive coach, not a flashy offensive guy.  Dan Lanning has the defensive coaching background AND the SEC pedigree & recruiting experience having coached under Kirby at Bama & GA.  Yes, offense in 2022 is fast and fun, and it still sells tickets; but, defense still wins championships. 

Dan Lanning has the SEC pedigree, coached under Saban and Kirby, and he's a GREAT recruiter.  IMO, he is going to build a juggernaut program somewhere, and I'd like him to do that at Auburn, not Oregon, or worse, at another SEC competitor.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the 17-million-dollar question. But I am not sure they had their guy tagged just yet. I think this is one of the first times in a long time, Auburn is actually proactive versus reactive.

100%

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lovemytigerz said:

Guess it was way to early to know that about Kirby when Auburn passed on him in 2013 to hire flashy guru Gus and his sandlot high school offense.

It was too early to know about Kirby and Gus. At the time, many of schools would've hired Gus. I really like Kirby, but let's not act like overnight he became the coach he is now. It took a little bit of time and patience. Further, you are still comparing a coach with extensive experience (Including in the SEC) to a coach who has yet to his finish his final year in the PAC 12.

That pales into comparing Gus vs Kirby, who both were practically green, although Gus had a year of non-power 5 coaching.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lanning, who I respect, has exactly one year of coaching. You have no idea how he is going to turn out. 

It was way to early to know Kirby would build a juggernaut when Auburn passed on him in 2013 to hire flashy guru Gus and his sandlot high school offense.  But, some of us DID know ...

Regarding Lane, we already know Lane doesn't have a great football mind; he has analytics, and believes his "scenario probability tables" will always provide the winning decision matrix, all evidence to the contrary.  Heck, Lane's train was stopped cold by a herd of swarming Hawgs! 

One other stat:  Lane is only the 29th winningest coach in the country.  That's 6 places behind Gus Malzahn, and 10 places behind Bryan Harsin.  http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

Just now, lovemytigerz said:

It was way to early to know Kirby would build a juggernaut when Auburn passed on him in 2013 to hire flashy guru Gus and his sandlot high school offense.  But, some of us DID know ...

Regarding Lane, we already know Lane doesn't have a great football mind; he has analytics, and believes his "scenario probability tables" will always provide the winning decision matrix, all evidence to the contrary.  Heck, Lane's train was stopped cold by a herd of swarming Hawgs! 

One other stat:  Lane is only the 29th winningest coach in the country.  That's 6 places behind Gus Malzahn, and 10 places behind Bryan Harsin.  http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

No you did not know what CKS would do. That is silly. Lane doesn't have a great football mind? Man stop.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Weird headline but ok. 
guys how else would this work? 
let’s celebrate! 

Celebrate WHAT?

Guest MustardSeed
22 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am much happier with CLK

Agreed. Kiffin isn’t my fav obviously but I’d take him a dozen times over Freeze

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s way past reactive. That’s mutually assured destruction, get a psychiatrist stuff. Hope you’re right. Moving on.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

It was too early to know about Kirby and Gus. At the time, many of schools would've hired Gus. I really like Kirby, but let's not act like overnight he became the coach he is now. It took a little bit of time and patience. Further, you are still comparing a coach with extensive experience (Including in the SEC) to a coach who has yet to his finish his final year in the PAC 12.

That pales into comparing Gus vs Kirby, who both were practically green, although Gus had a year of non-power 5 coaching.

Kirby didn't become the coach he is now whiel he was at GA .. he was already THAT coach.  He only needed the time to build GA.  His pedigree and experience put him head and shoulders above Gus, a high school coach who struck oil with Cam Newton.  

Lanning is comparable to Kirby.  Dan Lanning has the defensive coaching background and the SEC pedigree & recruiting experience having coached under Kirby at Bama & GA.  He, like Kirby, just needs time to build!  But, I'd MUCH prefer he build his dynasty at Auburn!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

No pedestals .. just want Auburn to hire a great football mind who can rebuild Auburn as a powerhouse.  Lane doesn't have a great football mind; he has analytics, and believes his "scenario probability tables" will always provide the winning decision matrix, all evidence to the contrary.  Heck, Lane's train was stopped cold by a herd of swarming Hawgs! 

One other stat:  Lane is the 29th winningest coach in the country.  That's 6 places behind Gus Malzahn, and 10 places behind Bryan Harsin.  http://www.coacheshotseat.com/WinningestActiveCoachesIA.htm

Coaching Record 

We need to go back to a defensive coach.  Offensive coaches are a dime a dozen .. just look across the country!  All the offenses look approximately the same, although admittedly some do a better job than others.  But, the key to building the juggernaut is to build a suffocating, swarming defense to shut these fast offenses down. 

When we examine the behemoth football programs over the past 30-40 years, the difference between good teams, even great teams, and perennial behemoth championship teams is a defensive head coach who built a suffocating defense.  Auburn needs to hire a great defensive coach, not a flashy offensive guy.  Dan Lanning has the defensive coaching background AND the SEC pedigree & recruiting experience having coached under Kirby at Bama & GA.  Yes, offense in 2022 is fast and fun, and it still sells tickets; but, defense still wins championships. 

Dan Lanning has the SEC pedigree, coached under Saban and Kirby, and he's a GREAT recruiter.  IMO, he is going to build a juggernaut program somewhere, and I'd like him to do that at Auburn, not Oregon, or worse, at another SEC competitor.

what do you think about schmedding? his D seems to be improving and we have no depth. do we give him a look? it is my understanding the staff and players really like him. i am not saying he should be our coach but what are the knocks against him other than being part of harsins staff? anyone?

Since Lane Kiffin came to Ole Miss:

Ole miss has been #1 in the SEC for total yards every year

They have led the SEC in rushing two out of three years, being second in 2021

Been in at least top 4 in scoring all three years

Top 3 in 2020, 2021 for passing but in the bottom half this year.

To say he is not a football mind and all analytics is ignorant.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

Kirby didn't become the coach he is now whiel he was at GA .. he was already THAT coach.  He only needed the time to build GA.  His pedigree and experience put him head and shoulders above Gus, a high school coach who struck oil with Cam Newton.  

Lanning is comparable to Kirby.  Dan Lanning has the defensive coaching background and the SEC pedigree & recruiting experience having coached under Kirby at Bama & GA.  He, like Kirby, just needs time to build!  But, I'd MUCH prefer he build his dynasty at Auburn!

He was not already that coach. He was losing to the likes of Vandy and Georgia Tech his first year. Do you really think UGA lacked talent when he got there? Not enough to be losing to Vandy.

UGA was 10-3 the previous year.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Hiring the best coach on paper that AU has hired in my lifetime?

He's a "paper coach" alright!  But he's still just a rumor .. 

Pat Dye is the current standard for coaching at Auburn with the exception that he could never quite pull off the national championship.  Our years with Dye were amazing, and Auburn was a powerhouse on both sides of the ball!  

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Most people get it.. sometimes you have throw out the stats for those on the dark 👍 

8 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

Coaching Record 

I don't disagree about Lanning's potential. you comparing LK to Gus is laughable though. 

As far as his winning percentage compared to others, context matters. Location matters. He coached a hamstrung USC team, FAU, and then Ole Miss. That is not counting the single year at UT. If we hired LK on his coaching prowess from 2013 and earlier, I would have a hard pass.

LK has grown a lot the last 10 years. To say he isn't a great football mind is absurd. Yes, he uses analytics in his gameplanning and decision making, but lots of coaches do.

Also, it was not a guarantee that Kirby would be what he is today. Yes a lot of signs pointed that he would be a good HC, but it was no certainty. There is always risk. For every Kirby....there are 10 other coaches with same kind of promise that don't pan out like that.

I am not even going to touch on your comment about all offenses looking the same. If we had even a decent Offensive minded coach the last 4 years we probably win an SEC title in 2019. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

what do you think about schmedding? his D seems to be improving and we have no depth. do we give him a look? it is my understanding the staff and players really like him. i am not saying he should be our coach but what are the knocks against him other than being part of harsins staff? anyone?

They do look better, more aggressive, the past couple of weeks .. but I'm still on the fence with him b/c our defense has been impotent all year until now.  That may or may not be fair to him.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Very true. My worry is that that’s the argument for an OC, not so much an HC. We’ve been down the  offensive genius HC path before.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

He was not already that coach. He was losing to the likes of Vandy and Georgia Tech his first year. Do you really think UGA lacked talent when he got there? Not enough to be losing to Vandy.

UGA was 10-3 the previous year.

He was totally that coach.  GA just wasn't that team yet, hence the 10-3 mediocrity.  Just needed a little time ..

Just now, lovemytigerz said:

But we DID know!  Even Pat Dye told them to hire Kirby.  

Just because Pat Dye wanted him did not guarantee he would be where he is at now. Just two years ago UGA fans were calling him Mark Richt 2.0. He took a program already established and finally got them over the hump. The fact that you said he had to "rebuild' them shows that you clearly don't know UGAs history. They were a 12,8,10,10 win team the four previous seasons that CKS got there. It worked itself out like AU should've worked itself out with Gus, alas it didn't.

1 minute ago, lovemytigerz said:

They do look better, more aggressive, the past couple of weeks .. but I'm still on the fence with him b/c our defense has been impotent all year until now.  That may or may not be fair to him.

with the mid season turmoil and losing a lot of players i think he has been outstanding. and he adjustments at halftime are refreshing to me. i think friend has as well. if we had a decent passing qb i think he looks really really well. i will say regardless of who we keep and who we pass on i will be forever be grateful for those that stayed to help us in our time of need.

• Like 1