Kiffin Says that He Hasn't Accepted a Job at Another School.....ESPN, Chris Low 11/22/22

Elephant Tipper

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This. 

There are plenty of top athletes across the country with good enough grades and test scores.    As of now they are all spread out on different teams.   Most of which would go to Harvard to play  IF  Harvard started taking football seriously as we do in the SEC.   50% of  the admissions process is from the interviews to get in.  They want leaders and outside the box thinkers.  Players would get a  Harvard education and Harvard  contacts.  Football history and 3 times the money to play.  New billion dollar facilities etc.   Harvard would just have to get the ball rolling for a very small fraction of their endowment.

19 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Don't Ivy league schools have certain requirements to get in? I doubt top athletes meet those standards. 

They would lower them for this "special class" of people.  Welcome to the death of meritocracy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

They would lower them for this "special class" of people.  Welcome to the death of meritocracy.

They already do that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

There are plenty of top athletes across the country with good enough grades and test scores.    As of now they are all spread out on different teams.   Most of which would go to Harvard to play  IF  Harvard started taking football seriously as we do in the SEC.   50% of  the admissions process is from the interviews to get in.  They want leaders and outside the box thinkers.  Players would get a  Harvard education and Harvard  contacts.  Football history and 3 times the money to play.  New billion dollar facilities etc.   Harvard would just have to get the ball rolling for a very small fraction of their endowment.

I almost wish they would. Would be super funny seeing the Ivy’s and their small school stadiums smoke all the big boys. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I almost wish they would. Would be super funny seeing the Ivy’s and their small school stadiums smoke all the big boys. 

the big issue will be whatever Texas decides to do  with all their money.  they are the only "SEC" school that have that kind of cash,  and they take football way more seriously and with much lower admission standards than Harvard and the ivy's.

4 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Not really,   My son had a choice.  Auburn or Harvard.  It was a tough choice because Harvard was so much  less expensive than Auburn.    ( granted I had to pay out of state for 2 years at Auburn,  but would have at Harvard also)

Harvard gives out so many scholarships and grants.    Tuition is based on income.  I think it was 10% of your income.  They make it a point to make sure none of the  students graduate with any school debt.   It was 3 times more expensive to send my son to Auburn than Harvard.    The only reason my son chose Auburn over Harvard was Harvard did not offer a degree in what my son wanted to major in. 

So glad he chose Auburn.  He is happy and thriving and just 1 semester away from graduating.

Good for your son and War Eagle but I still stand by my thought that Harvard or anywhere else like that is overpriced. 

Tuition may be based on income and may be cheaper than a state school in some circumstances but they’re not going to make it that easy for people. 

51 minutes ago, woodford said:

Good for your son and War Eagle but I still stand by my thought that Harvard or anywhere else like that is overpriced. 

Tuition may be based on income and may be cheaper than a state school in some circumstances but they’re not going to make it that easy for people. 

they really do make it that easy.   If you can get in you can go there for very cheap or free.  The hard part is getting past the interviews with the prominent alumni.   Tuition is pocket change to the school.   They have plenty of money.   They will even fly you to Harvard for the interview if there are no Harvard interviewers in your area.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:50 PM, Mitchie said:

OK, I did not post to stir things up. I have said you guys may very well have Kiffin as your next coach. This is precisely what I was saying: some of you do not want to hear it, but he may stay at Ole Miss, and you need to be ready to accept that. Hitting thumbs down on my comments isn't going to change it. He also may leave Oxford and take the job. I literally am hearing he is wrestling with it. I've been wrong before.

Thanks for the info. A lot of idiots on the board, don’t let the thumbs down bother you.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:16 PM, Mitchie said:

I see. 

Could easily clear this up by posting my identity, photo and a website. Didn't mean to be a nuisance. Wish you the best of luck.

Sorry you were treated so poorly here. Again, just a hand-full of idiots that just want to hear, what they want to hear and could care less about facts etc.

I’ve heard the reason Kiffin is on the fence is because the turds have told him he’s Lil Nickie’s coach-in-waiting. No idea if that is true. Also Hearing Lane Kiffin’s daughters want him to stay in Oxford, no idea if that is true.

I do know $60 million left on the table would be tough to turn down. Simple math - 4 years worth 10 million a year at Ole Miss $40 million. (Miss State Law) 10 years at $10 million a year at Auburn $100 million. Tough to turn that much down! 

Thanks for the info you shared.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

So Ole Miss has $10 million with which to buy players and Auburn allegedly has more. I'm very glad that Harvard and Stanford grads don't want to get deep into this business. The rest of us wouldn't stand a chance.

I've suggested that Harvard has the means to get into big time football and was laughed at. 

6 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

The could build domes and fill it with fake people without hardly scratching their endowements. 

13 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Sorry you were treated so poorly here. Again, just a hand-full of idiots that just want to hear, what they want to hear and could care less about fax etc.

I’ve heard the reason Kiffin is on the fence is because the turds have told him he’s Lil Nickie’s coach-in-waiting. No idea if that is true.

Thanks for the info! 

If they told him that it’s just to keep him away from Auburn. Dabo will get (and take) the shot before anyone else. No doubt in my mind Dabo is waiting for that call.

The admission qualifications at Ivy League schools are not ironclad rules. (Same applies to all other elite academic institutions like Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, Stanford, etc.) I know this because I had a close relationship with a woman on the faculty at Yale and another who attended Harvard. And I have a postgrad cert from Columbia.

1. Legacy admissions. Even a retard like Bush 2 was admitted to and graduated from Yale, even though he can't even spell potatoes. Most legacies are admitted no matter what their academic credentials if they are rich and connected. Trump was admitted to Penn despite being remarkably ignorant, and graduated as "the worst student ever" because he was a legacy millionaire kid.

2. Good students from disadvantaged backgrounds and from disadvantaged states (like Alabama) are often admitted over rich kids and even Asian-Americans who out-perform U.S. students by a huge margin. One of my long-time Auburn friends who served for awhile on the BoT, got his law degree at Harvard despite being, as he admitted, "just a normal guy" from Opelika/Auburn.

3. Athletes in sports that Ivy League schools compete in for the Director's Cup (in which Power 5 football and basketball are less competitive) have an advantage. Lacrosse, ice hockey, rowing, water polo, etc. As for football and basketball, it really depends on other qualifications just as much as athletic skills.

As an example, Tufts University won the 2021-2022 Director's cup. Stanford is often a leader.

I was accepted for graduate degree study at Harvard but chose instead to attend the #1 school in my field, U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. If I had wanted to be a politician or a highest notch lawyer, I would have accepted the Harvard offer.

My point is, even elite universities try to provide opportunities for those who are not from ultra-rich families, and students often make choices based on their personal interests rather than some sort of status symbolism. I could have become much more wealthy or powerful if I had gone to Harvard, but I have never for a moment regretted my decision.

• Like 1

Unless Kiffin pulls a Rodriguez, this has been over for awhile.  If you remember, most had Grimes pegged at the top of the list, but Kiffin was the primary target for Auburn…. And yes, that’s why there was a twist in the AD search.  

8 hours ago, aubcali said:

Unless Kiffin pulls a Rodriguez, this has been over for awhile.  If you remember, most had Grimes pegged at the top of the list, but Kiffin was the primary target for Auburn…. And yes, that’s why there was a twist in the AD search.  

You sure about that?

25 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

You sure about that?

Yes — Kiffin has been the primary candidate.  If he turned it down or something changed in the last few days, that I don’t know.  

8 minutes ago, aubcali said:

Yes — Kiffin has been the primary candidate.  If he turned it down or something changed in the last few days, that I don’t know.  

Ok just checking. 9 hours ago you said this “was over for a a while”, not just that Kiffin was the primary candidate. Most everyone would have assumed that. “Over” to me means done deal that’s all. This new Freeze stuff would counter that if true. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Ok just checking. 9 hours ago you said this “was over for a a while”, not just that Kiffin was the primary candidate. Most everyone would have assumed that. “Over” to me means done deal that’s all. This new Freeze stuff would counter that if true. 

It was from Auburn’s side — it was Kiffin’s job to turn down.  

19 minutes ago, aubcali said:

It was from Auburn’s side — it was Kiffin’s job to turn down.  

And he has turned it down officially now.  So looks like we lost to Ole Miss.  Embarrassing, but I guess that's how far down the gutter Harsin put this program.

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

What about that 4 year rule that everyone here was running with??

Working around it through a private foundation.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/11/26/lane-kiffin-new-contract-extension-ole-miss-money-length-auburn-rumors

Edited by kwagoner

7 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

I always thought it was funny when folks were 1000% ruling out him staying at OM because of that. Like they weren’t capable of working something out to retain him lol. People just take something and the mob always runs with it. 

• Like 1