2002 Iron Bowl Vibes?

RunInRed

11 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

2015 they would not have even played for the SEC Championship if Ole Miss hadn’t given up that crazy 4th down over the head fumble toss to Arkansas.

Didn’t stop them during their BYE week in 11 or 17. 

2 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Ugh.  2011.  Oklahoma State crapped the bed!

#1 Oregon and #2 Kansas State both crapped the bed on 11/17/2012.

Wow, watching that 2002 game brings back so many memories.  I was a student then and it was party time after that one!  Watching how that team played really contrasts with what Auburn has been for the last few years (up until the last few games that is).  The really good teams under Tuberville all had a lot of things in common, an offense based off the basic I-Formation along with variations of it where the QB would swap from being under center into the shotgun.  The O line was usually made up of upperclassmen that had some game experience but were mostly reserves as underclassmen, the RBs were usually big time recruits that had a couple years of experience, and the WRs recruited were usually 6 feet tall or taller.  If you look back at the recruiting classes they were generally ranked in the teens nationally with one or two in top ten and a couple in the low 20s.  There were usually 4 to 5 4-star guys and the rest were mainly 3 star ranked guys.  I just kinda went thru them on a site that has them listed out and what their star rating was out of high school.  It is amazing how many of the guys that were 3-star recruits ended up having good NFL careers versus how many 4 and 5 star guys that ended up in the NFL.  That was because Tuberville and his staff coached these guys up and molded them into very good players.  Whoever ends up getting the HC job at Auburn, I sure hope they can coach 'em up like Tuberville did.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Ugh.  2011.  Oklahoma State crapped the bed!

The BCS died in Ames, Iowa. Crazy. There should be a documentary on that. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

#1 Oregon and #2 Kansas State both crapped the bed on 11/17/2012.

Ohio State crapped the bed by being on probation. BCS NCG would’ve been ND/tOSU

Edited by woodford

“Out of the shotgun Patrick Nix. Alabama bringing everybody. Nix is gonna float one to Sanders….Sanders! Oh he caught it at the two and he dives in! Touchdown Auburn! Touchdown Auburn! Oh my goodness. Frank Sanders went up over Tommy Johnson or Antonio Langham. He caught the ball at the two. How he held it, I don’t know. But he dives into the back of the end zone and Auburn is right back in the thick of it!”

Absolute chills! That call embodies everything about the Auburn Spirit. College football is all about moments. Titles, championships, etc all come second. Moments like that can define programs and fandoms for years to come. 

We need a moment like this on Saturday. 

I have not watched many Auburn games this year, because Harsin .... But I've been watching Caddy games.

I'll watch this one.

WDE!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, woodford said:

The BCS died in Ames, Iowa. Crazy. There should be a documentary on that.

No wait we were told it was LSU and bammer playing twice in 2011 that broke the BCS i.e. SEC favoritism.

If Oklahoma State (who lost in Ames, Iowa) had played LSU for the title, no one could have claimed SEC favoritism.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

No wait we were told it was LSU and bammer playing twice in 2011 that broke the BCS i.e. SEC favoritism.

If Oklahoma State (who lost in Ames, Iowa) had played LSU for the title, no one could have claimed SEC favoritism.

Yes, I’m saying OSU losing killed the BCS because it led to LSU/BAMA. 

Les Miles and that LSU team really didn’t give a sh*t about the game did they? Lol pathetic. That hurt his career imo 

9 minutes ago, woodford said:

Yes, I’m saying OSU losing killed the BCS because it led to LSU/BAMA. 

Les Miles and that LSU team really didn’t give a sh*t about the game did they? Lol pathetic. That hurt his career imo 

No he cared.  He was just so stupid that he thought he could use the same game plan as he did earlier without any changes.   Sort of like Gus in 2017 against Georgia with a hurt Kerryon.   

• Like 1

2002 remains the lone SEC road game I’ve attended and it was glorious. We had no expectations of winning that day without Cadillac and Ronnie. To be in that stadium with a bunch of very quiet banners was amazing.

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

No he cared.  He was just so stupid that he thought he could use the same game plan as he did earlier without any changes.   Sort of like Gus in 2017 against Georgia with a hurt Kerryon.   

Gus had no other options available.

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

100%

Back then our starting running backs were both hurt and had to rely on a TE and a 3rd string freshman trey smith.

This year we just don’t have any QBs and OL is highly questionable.  No depth on defense.   

Unfortunately not the same scenario. The 2002 team had underachieved to that point. The roster was loaded with guys who would be part of the 2004 undefeated team. 2002 2003 2004 and maybe 2005 were Tubs most talented teams. We may have been underdogs, but we absolutely matched The Updykes talent wise in that game. This year nowhere close unfortunately. Obviously anything can happen and I hope it does!

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Unfortunately not the same scenario. The 2002 team had underachieved to that point. The roster was loaded with guys who would be part of the 2004 undefeated team. 2002 2003 2004 and maybe 2005 were Tubs most talented teams. We may have been underdogs, but we absolutely matched The Updykes talent wise in that game. This year nowhere close unfortunately. Obviously anything can happen and I hope it does!

Yep.  Lost a close one in L.A. to the Trojans, lost the heart breaker in O.T. at the Swamp, and lost the heartbreaker to UGA on the 4th and 15 David Greene pass (pretty sure they dropped an INT earlier in that drive).  The only team that dominated them was Arkansas in Tubby’s annual totally unprepared to play game.

• Like 1