Stan White

Ber798297

6 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

You could go with Jeff Burger.  He would be our version of Kenny Stabler

Our version of Stabler is Sonny Smith.  I really wish they would ask him to retire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AUDaddio said:

Our version of Stabler is Sonny Smith.  I really wish they would ask him to retire.

You are definitely on to something there.  I was referring to Burger loving to drink and fight.

• Love 1

18 hours ago, AUDaddio said:

I like me some Sonny Smith. Pure entertainment!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cowdoc said:

Only if laughing at old me with bad jokes because he can't see what is actually happening on the court is your idea of entertainment.  His commentary is just bad.

1 minute ago, AUDaddio said:

Only if laughing at old me with bad jokes because he can't see what is actually happening on the court is your idea of entertainment.  His commentary is just bad.

I don’t listen/watch BB often, but do enjoy his commentary.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 12/7/2022 at 4:03 PM, WarEagle1982 said:

You could go with Jeff Burger.  He would be our version of Kenny Stabler

He was the first QB I remember at Auburn. 

He assumed command of the huddle the next two years, leading the Tigers to a combined 19-3-2 record. The most important win was a 10-0 win over Alabama to secure the 1987 SEC Championship. He finished his NCAA career with 4,082 passing yards and 24 touchdown passes.

Jeff-Burger-Now-1.png

Edited by Chaotic_zx

12 hours ago, cowdoc said:

Me too. He DGAF on air. He will talk about the officials and other coaches like they arent 3 feet away. Hes hilarious. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUDaddio said:

Only if laughing at old me with bad jokes

As opposed to young men who start and end every sentence with "Sooo..." and interrupt themselves with "right?" every other word?

Most of those aren't much better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cowdoc said:

Sonny and Wimp Sanderson had a radio show a few years back.  The two of them together are hilarious!  Sonny once referred to a poorly played AU basketball game as an abortion! 🤣

Edited by gctiger

7 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I think one of his finest moments was leading the drive to beat Bama in 1986.  The 4th Down throw he made to Trey Gainous was put in the only spot he could put it in and he did it with bullets flying all around him.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Sonny and Wimp Sanderson had a radio show a few years back.  The two of them together are hilarious!  Sonny once referred to a poorly played AU basketball game as an abortion! 🤣

Sonny and Wimp. Wimp and Sonny. One thinks he’s smart, and one thinks he’s funny. That jingle was spot-on!!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I think one of his finest moments was leading the drive to beat Bama in 1986.  The 4th Down throw he made to Trey Gainous was put in the only spot he could put it in and he did it with bullets flying all around him.

Truth! Best 5 yard pass I can think of any Auburn QB making. Was clearly a catch but I remember thinking the refs were gonna screw us and call it incomplete 

Might have been a 10 yarder

Edited by jluvah

11 hours ago, aucom96 said:

As opposed to young men who start and end every sentence with "Sooo..." and interrupt themselves with "right?" every other word?

Most of those aren't much better. 

Sooo.....I agree with you completely.  I wouldn't want them doing color either, right?

Sarcasm included.😉

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to hearing Jason, but I'll miss Stan. He and Nix were QB's when I was at Auburn. 

Put Takeo Spikes on the sidelines and mic him up during the game. I'd listen to that. ;)

On 12/9/2022 at 10:30 AM, WarEagle1982 said:

I predicted that play. We had run it earlier in the season during a critical 3rd and medium. I had remembered Pat Dye talking about it on the review show. It was our go-to critical play, but we had rarely done it. It was a pick play. The slot WR (Gainous) went in motion, and at the snap went upfield until he was past the line to gain, then cut in on a crossing route. At the same time, the TE on the opposite time did a crossing route the opposite direction, screening the defender covering the slot WR.

In the student section for the 86 game was just about up there with 89.

Man the 80s were AUsome!  

So hope we can get back to greatness!!!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

In the student section for the 86 game was just about up there with 89.

Man the 80s were AUsome!  

So hope we can get back to greatness!!!

The 80's were especially AUsome to those of us who were coming of Auburn football age in the 70's.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/25/2023 at 7:11 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

The 80's were especially AUsome to those of us who were coming of Auburn football age in the 70's.

I didn’t experience the 70s (I was born in 1980), but experiencing AU football as a youth in the 80s was amazing!  It was a great time to be born into the Auburn world.  My early heroes were Burger, Slack, Tillman, Rocker, Stallworth, Danley, Joseph, Ace Wright, Crain, Cheatham, Morris, and others!!!  Unbelievable times!!

• Like 2

Can't believe it's been 22 years. I remember meeting Stan White while in school at Auburn, one evening at Touchdown's; circa 1995. WDE

Edited by Systems

14 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I certainly do miss this!  Wish they still did this at the end of victories!

Yes, jump right up and show your age:

The only lyrics I and most could understand were:

Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

It was considered a risqué song back in the day warranting a FBI investigation.

The legend of the Kingsmen’s “Louie Louie” has been told almost as many times as the song itself has been covered. (There’s no accurate count for either, but both must number in the thousands.) First released in May of 1963, and then re-released that October, the Kingsmen’s version climbed to No. 2 on the Billboard singles chart. The song’s popularity among a new generation of rock-and-roll teen-agers brought it to the attention of some concerned citizens. One of them, the father of a teen-age girl, wrote to Robert Kennedy, who was then the Attorney General, to complain about the song’s possible obscenity, prompting an F.B.I. investigation. “This land of ours is headed for an extreme state of moral degradation,” the incensed parent wrote to Kennedy. (Remember this the next time someone tries reminiscing to you about the good old days before pop music was full of sex and vulgarities.)

Several possible versions of the song’s lyrics, included with the F.B.I.’s report, do make for a rather startling read. In the second verse, for instance, Ely might sing, “At night at ten / I lay her again / **** you girl, oh / All the way.” Or perhaps his words are more onanistic: “Every night and day / I play with my thing / **** your girl / All kinds of ways.” The F.B.I. investigation dragged on through 1965, with each laboratory examination of the record deemed inconclusive: no one could determine what Ely was singing, so the record couldn’t be declared obscene. Ben F. Waple, the secretary of the Federal Communications Commission (F.C.C.), wrote to Wand Records, which was responsible for the October, 1963, pressing of the record, to ask “whether, even though unobjectionable lyrics were used in recording the song, there was improper motivation on the part of the singers … in making the recorded lyrics so unintelligible as to give rise to reports that they were obscene.”

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/jack-ely-louie-louie-the-dirtiest-song-of-the-sixties

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

es, jump right up and show your age:

The only lyrics I and most could understand were:

Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

It was also said that if the disc was played backwards there were many obscenities. I never figured out how this was known. My RCA Victrola wouldn't play backwards. :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

It was also said that if the disc was played backwards there were many obscenities. I never figured out how this was known. My RCA Victrola wouldn't play backwards. :)

You do it by hand to play backwards same with Beatles song Rain on the Revolver album. It's called "Backmasking"