Round 5.0 Coaching Search:

AUY2K

11 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

The fanbase would lose their minds because of the Cam Newton stuff.

Kind of what I figured. But consider:

- Had Mississippi State ranked number 1 in the nation during the Dak Prescott years, and I covered Mississippi State -- you guys have watched them. Having MSU ranked number 1 in the nation in football is unreal.

- Was the QB coach for some pretty amazing talents.

- Came within seconds of knocking off Alabama in the SEC title game.

Compared to some of the candidates that have been mentioned, he's got far more positives. Has won in the SEC, has beaten Georgia, has competed with Saban and Smart in recruiting, is a fairly charismatic guy, very intelligent, and he's still fairly young. He's had some time to think about mistakes he made at Florida. Seems like he's far, far more of a win than Freeze, one the fans could get behind. And I'm guessing he's got a relationship with Cohen.

Edited by Mitchie
  • Dislike 2

Just now, Mitchie said:

- Had Mississippi State ranked number 1 in the nation during the Dak Prescott years, and I covered Mississippi State -- you guys have watched them. Having MSU ranked number 1 in the nation in football is unreal.

Agreed. I would welcome him over most of the other candidates that have been suggested, but there’s some people in our fan base who probably still hold grudges toward their grandma for making an unwelcome modification to their favorite sweet potato casserole when they were in fifth grade.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Agreed. I would welcome him over most of the other candidates that have been suggested, but there’s some people in our fan base who probably still hold grudges toward their grandma for making an unwelcome modification to their favorite sweet potato casserole when they were in fifth grade.

Dammit NanNan! 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

Compared to some of the candidates that have been mentioned, he's got far more positives. Has won in the SEC, has beaten Georgia, has competed with Saban and Smart in recruiting, is a fairly charismatic guy, very intelligent, and he's still fairly young. He's had some time to think about mistakes he made at Florida. Seems like he's far, far more of a win than Freeze, one the fans could get behind. And I'm guessing he's got a relationship with Cohen.

He couldnt and wouldnt recruit at Florida. This roster is decimated. Just paid off a coach who didnt think recruiting mattered. No way.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CR said:

He couldnt and wouldnt recruit at Florida. This roster is decimated. Just paid off a coach who didnt think recruiting mattered. No way.

Yep, rumors during his time at Florida was that he just flat out didn't like recruiting and was possibly burning out mentally from the daily grind of college football. 

I'd question if Mullen even wants to coach college ball right now. 

30 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

Consider:

He doesn’t recruit.

He was largely responsible for that Cam Newton mess and subsequent media slander that we are still feeling the effects of 12 years later. 
He’s a jerk. 

I think Mullen would get an even worse welcome than Freeze would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AuburnWarVet said:

So it seems like James Franklin is now in the mix...what say you

Never Freezers better be Never Franklins too.

Just now, ScotsAU said:

Consider:

He doesn’t recruit.

He was largely responsible for that Cam Newton mess and subsequent media slander that we are still feeling the effects of 12 years later. 
He’s a jerk. 

I think Mullen would get an even worse welcome than Freeze would.

All good points on the recruiting thing, and on Cam Newton.

Again, looking at your alternatives:

- Lane Kiffin is not coming.

- Hugh Freeze may, in fact, be coming, and I actually think will be a good head coach and a winner at Auburn, but apparently the fan base is divided on him because of his obvious shady past, which I completely understand.

- Dan Lanning knows the territory but may not want to go head-to-head with Smart, Saban, Kelly and Jimbo right now, after having lost to Georgia by 46 on the field to boot, when he can compete with a weak field in the Pac-12.

- A young NFL assistant that's not proven might be the way to go -- but it's hardly what will excite a fan base that desperately needs it.

- An energetic Cadillac Williams whose only negative seems to be a lack of coaching experience and gravitas on the sidelines, but apparently is a recruiting beast.

- A litany of names that most people don't know, i.e., another Harsin hire.

Fact is, Mullen may not want to coach and has some down side. But he also has ties to Cohen and has been a proven winner in the SEC. I'm trying to think like your leadership might be thinking.

42 minutes ago, Mitchie said:

Logical post. The only problem is at Florida, recruiting was the overall problem, not x’s and 0’s if I remember correctly. He could definitely correct that though.

1 hour ago, Auburn02 said:

I see where you're going but I'm not really basing that opinion on his results in a first year at Oregon, would have been a good hire even straight out of being Kirby's DC for a couple years along with his recruiting skills. A year of HC experience only helps that. 

He had a terrible defense but coached his way right out of the pac 12 championship just 3 days ago. To a team that only completed 6 passes. Went for it on 4rth down 3 possessions in a row with the lead in the fourth quarter. That works when you have a healthy Nix. It doesn’t work when he is not a run threat. 

7 minutes ago, Zamps1976 said:

I think at this point they should go all in for Dabo, make him an offer he cant refuse.

The only thing about Dabo is I'm not even sure he would leave Clemson for 'Bama. And here's why.

I know he loves Alabama, obviously, and his love for coach Stallings is obvious.

But he basically built Clemson into what it is today. That is a very difficult thing to give up, even after losses like last weekend. He has built something special. He would be leaving that, giving that up, for even more of a pressure-cooker where he would be expected to run with the baton that Saban has carried. 

I could see him following the coach that FOLLOWED Saban. But I can't see him following the man. I'm not sure he'd want to go to Auburn to coach against him or Alabama.

I'd bet if Saban retired tomorrow, or after the bowl game, and Alabama called, that Swinney would say, thank you, I'm honored, but no.

Edited by Mitchie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mitchie said:

Mullen has always developed QB's and could spot talent. As an OC and QB coach at Utah he had Alex Smith who also went #1 in the draft. As OC and QB coach at Florida he had Tim Tebow and Cam Newton. As HC at Mississippi State he had Dak Prescott and as HC at Florida he had Kyle Trask who set a ton of records. 

I know our fans don't want him because of stuff he said 12 freaking years ago. We've actually got fans that don't want Dabo because he lost a rivalry game by 1 point to Shane Beamer. But they would kill for Josh Heupel who not only lost to Beamer, he got curb stomped by Beamer. 

Our fans are our own worst enemy most of the time. We deserve everything that happens to us. We always blame coaches, AD, president, boosters, etc but we are a part of the problem as well. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AuburnWarVet said:

So it seems like James Franklin is now in the mix...what say you

He’d be a great CEO. They were screwed out a playoff appearance one year (16 I think?) but maybe he could build a good staff. 

After all of this and millions of $$ wasted we're going to end up in the same position we were with Gus.  Should have just kept him.