Round 5.0 Coaching Search:

AUY2K

43 minutes ago, AuburnWarVet said:

So it seems like James Franklin is now in the mix...what say you

He played Tennessee like a fiddle in their 2020 coaching search. They truly thought they were hiring him but Franklin played them to get a raise at Penn State. Tennessee then hired Heupel. 

Franklin has done that a few times since he got to Penn State. I don't see him leaving there though. He is a native of Pennsylvania. He does a good job though. He won the 2016 Big 10 Championship, beat us 2 years in a row, has his team 10-2 and ranked 8th in the AP. He has 10+ wins in 4 of his 9 years there. At Vandy he was 6-7, 9-4 and 9-4. He was 24-15, made a bowl appearance every year and was ranked top 25 in 2 of those 3 years. That's amazing at Vandy. 

He had some stuff happen at Vandy with players getting prison terms for sexual assault. Penn State still hired him after that but that wouldn't fly at Auburn.

10 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’m beginning to think that the reason why we can’t attract a great coach is because of us *AU fans*

Would be the actual last consideration for any head coach. We might’ve interrupted the decision making for a few higher ups internally, but the couple of times that has happened (including this round), it’s been VERY well deserved. WE fund THEM. They can’t do this without us supporting them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

He played Tennessee like a fiddle in their 2020 coaching search. They truly thought they were hiring him but Franklin played them to get a raise at Penn State. Tennessee then hired Heupel. 

Franklin has done that a few times since he got to Penn State. I don't see him leaving there though. He is a native of Pennsylvania. He does a good job though. He won the 2016 Big 10 Championship, beat us 2 years in a row, has his team 10-2 and ranked 8th in the AP. He has 10+ wins in 4 of his 9 years there. At Vandy he was 6-7, 9-4 and 9-4. He was 24-15, made a bowl appearance every year and was ranked top 25 in 2 of those 3 years. That's amazing at Vandy. 

He had some stuff happen at Vandy with players getting prison terms for sexual assault. Penn State still hired him after that but that wouldn't fly at Auburn.

Penn State has a habit of that it seems.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Would be the actual last consideration for any head coach. We might’ve interrupted the decision making for a few higher ups internally, but the couple of times that has happened (including this round), it’s been VERY well deserved. WE fund THEM. They can’t do this without us supporting them. 

Yes, we are fans. We are the customers. We come first. It’s not the players, recruits, or coaches. We pay the bills. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m not really talking about the no Freeze thing. He has lukewarm support among those who AREN’T never Freezers. 
I could be judging the entire fan base from this board, that maybe the issue but

When you have half the board saying no way to Swinney ... it reveals that there can’t be a consensus for the next coach no matter who it is.

The “us” you mentioned is as fractured as a broken glass

53 minutes ago, alexava said:

He had a terrible defense but coached his way right out of the pac 12 championship just 3 days ago. To a team that only completed 6 passes. Went for it on 4rth down 3 possessions in a row with the lead in the fourth quarter. That works when you have a healthy Nix. It doesn’t work when he is not a run threat. 

Yep, not trying to pretend that didn't happen, but I'm also not going to hold one or two games in his first HC season against his future potential. Even the best coaches have made some boneheaded decisions a time or two, the hope is that the better ones will learn from them going forward.

All that said I doubt he leaves after his first year, but I'd be very excited about the hire if it came to that.

Edited by Auburn02
  • Like 1

What're opinions on Todd Monken? With Dell McGee coming with him as OC?

Curious what people think about Monken as a potential candidate. I still believe there are serious candidates in this search that no one is talking about, and I think he could be one of them. Outside of his resume, I’m not familiar with him as a recruiter, but imagine a scenario where he brings over Dell McGee with him from UGA as an OC and a massive recruiter. Keep Caddy as assistant HC/RB coach/Running game coordinator, but I think this staff would turn a lot of heads.

Has coached the majority of his career in the south/SEC (UGA, LSU, Louisiana Tech, OK State, Southern Miss). Has coached in the NFL, too. Bryan Kelly has spoken highly of him (when he was trying to hire him as OC @ LSU.

Head coaching at Southern Miss before taking an NFL OC job:

2013: 1-11 (1-7 conf)

2014: 3-9 (1-7 conf)

2015: 9-5 (7-1 conf), won division title, Monken won C-USA Coach of the Year

1 minute ago, mjd072700 said:

What're opinions on Todd Monken? With Dell McGee coming with him as OC?

Curious what people think about Monken as a potential candidate. I still believe there are serious candidates in this search that no one is talking about, and I think he could be one of them. Outside of his resume, I’m not familiar with him as a recruiter, but imagine a scenario where he brings over Dell McGee with him from UGA as an OC and a massive recruiter. Keep Caddy as assistant HC/RB coach/Running game coordinator, but I think this staff would turn a lot of heads.

Has coached the majority of his career in the south/SEC (UGA, LSU, Louisiana Tech, OK State, Southern Miss). Has coached in the NFL, too. Bryan Kelly has spoken highly of him (when he was trying to hire him as OC @ LSU.

Head coaching at Southern Miss before taking an NFL OC job:

2013: 1-11 (1-7 conf)

2014: 3-9 (1-7 conf)

2015: 9-5 (7-1 conf), won division title, Monken won C-USA Coach of the Year

Despises recruiting

“If” we can’t find anyone better before Wednesday, announce we will leave the interim tag on Caddy for the 2023 season. Let it be known that we are still looking for the right fit, but we will remove the interim from Caddy if the team does well next year. This allows us to not fire Caddy next year and lets him continue to grow for the future. Bring in one or more older, previously successful coaches to help mentor him on Zoom. We definitely saw progression over the past four games. If it doesn’t work out, Caddy leaves for a small school, gets more experience, and returns to lead us in 5-10 years. Profit.

Edited by SeattleTiger86
Months->games

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Despises recruiting

Wasn't aware of that. I thought I saw his name tied to some big recruits like Vandagriff at UGA? If he were to bring major recruiters with him immediately on his staff, I still think he would be a solid hire. Total pipe dream, but imagine him bringing Dell on as OC, keeping Caddy on as RB coach/assistant HC/run game coordinator, and Muschamp as DC.

Just now, mjd072700 said:

Wasn't aware of that. I thought I saw his name tied to some big recruits like Vandagriff at UGA? If he were to bring major recruiters with him immediately on his staff, I still think he would be a solid hire. Total pipe dream, but imagine him bringing Dell on as OC, keeping Caddy on as RB coach/assistant HC/run game coordinator, and Muschamp as DC.

Ah....it's that "Dell for XYZ" time of year

21 hours ago, AUY2K said:

Legit options.

Johnson is starting to generate a lot of smoke due to his connection with Cohen.   This seems pretty legit and would be a positive hire - not sure about “splash”.  I don’t think there will be a “splash” unless it’s Deion.

Too much friction with fans/alumni with a freeze hire.  Johnson would be a safe positive hire.

they say he took jalen and made him a way much better qb.

i was hoping we would talk to fritz but it appears he will be jawja techs new head coach.

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

Sounds like he's a Jimmy Sexton client?

56 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Despises recruiting

So, better suited for the NFL, although the new college minor league football system may be right on time for just buying players.  It could be his time!  😬

51 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i was hoping we would talk to fritz but it appears he will be jawja techs new head coach.

I was about to bring up Fritz.  It would make sense as to why Auburn hasn’t announced yet.  It would be the out of left field hire.  Also if Auburn wanted him they wouldn’t have a problem over coming GaTech for his services.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I was about to bring up Fritz.  It would make sense as to why Auburn hasn’t announced yet.  It would be the out of left field hire.  Also if Auburn wanted him they wouldn’t have a problem over coming GaTech for his services.

i read where he is a top ten all time wins coach  but now i cannot find the article. we can and might still do worse......

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Yes, we are fans. We are the customers. We come first. It’s not the players, recruits, or coaches. We pay the bills. 

Auburn would be getting Troy level coaches, with Samford level players and would get the same visibility from recruits as Spring Hill if the fans didn’t support Auburn. The SEC as a whole benefits from the most ardent fans (views, merchandise, etc) in the country. They would NOT be in the financial heaven that they are without fans. Money makes all of this work, and the money comes from us. 

In no particular order, I would take a look at:

Deion Sanders

Jeff Brohm (Purdue)

Chris Klieman (Kansas St)

Jeff Traylor (UTSA)

Willie Fritz (Tulane)

I think we need to look at coaches that have proven they can successfully build a team.

The problem I have with Lanning is that he walked into a situation with a talent advantage and wasnt able to take advantage of it. 

3 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Deion Sanders

Jeff Brohm (Purdue)

Jeff Traylor (UTSA)

Willie Fritz (Tulane)

I think we need to look at coaches that have proven they can successfully build a team.

The problem I have with Lanning is that he walked into a situation with a talent advantage and wasnt able to take advantage of it. 

Has lanning been there long enough to say that? Norvell won 4 games his first two seasons, everyone wrote him off and put him on the hot seat, and he sort of turned it around this year. 

5 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Deion Sanders

Jeff Brohm (Purdue)

Jeff Traylor (UTSA)

Willie Fritz (Tulane)

I would take any of them over Freeze.