Top 3 football facility, amazing NIL, top 10 Salary

gr82b4au

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Because the way people such as yourself view our desirability and everyone else views it are widely apart. We are smack in the middle of the greatest dynasty in the history of the sport and a rapidly ascending one. And we insist on playing both every year.

M O N E Y. If we stop trying to cheap out on hiring coaches we could get a big name. Our BOT have set a precedent for several coaching hires they aren’t willing to pay what it takes to land a big fish.  It doesn’t have to do with how desirable our job is. EVERYONE acknowledges we are a top 10-15 job.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

We are def higher than them

My opinion depends on what happened with Kiffin. If him and Sexton made a ridiculous contract demand and Cohen--learning from what's happened with Jimbo and Gus--told them to, er, self-pollinate, definitely. But if Kiffin just legit wanted to stay in Oxford, I see no reason we aren't on the same level as those three.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

M O N E Y. If we stop trying to cheap out on hiring coaches we could get a big name. Our BOT have set a precedent for several coaching hires they aren’t willing to pay what it takes to land a big fish.  It doesn’t have to do with how desirable our job is. EVERYONE acknowledges we are a top 10-15 job.

I'm sure you would've been thrilled if we'd given Kiffin what he wanted and then he turned out to be a perennial 8-4 coach. And then we would've been stuck with him for the next decade.

Edited by AUwent

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'm sure you would've been thrilled if we'd given Kiffin what he wanted and then he turned out to be a perennial 8-4 coach. And then we would've been stuck with him for the next decade.

And that is exactly what market value dictates even for good not great coaches. Mark stoops is making 8 million and kiffin now 9. It’s extremely tough to get any remotely successful power 5 coach to jump.

4 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

I just wish we could get our Bruce Pearl in football.

sigh

It's funny isn't it, how for all the talk about dysfunctional Auburn, only one sport really fits that bill?

• Like 1

Just now, AUwent said:

It's funny isn't it, how for all the talk about dysfunctional Auburn, only one sport really fits that bill?

Oh, I know football drives the train and pays the bills. 

Perception is reality. 

8 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

I just wish we could get our Bruce Pearl in football.

sigh

Only coach I’ve ever seen in my 33 years be a uniter and get all of our crazy overly emotional psychotic fans on the same page. He was the hire that was the most widely celebrated and if you make a splash hire it affords the coach a longer leash as you go through the lean years. A vanilla mid major hire  fans wouldn’t of been as patient with how Bruce first 3 years went. It also helped as well that it was basketball.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The long and short of it is we rather save some money go “cheap” and keep playing the coaching roulette game. Usc and lsu showed last year how you get it done hiring a proven coach away from a good job and situation.  AU has shown over and over that we aren’t willing to do what it takes financially speaking to get a splash hire.

But we damn sure will do what it is financially to get rid of one. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, AUwent said:

There is nothing better than peace of mind that beyond a shadow of a doubt we have the right coaches in place for basketball and baseball. I was born in 89 so I’ve never had that feeling in football….

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

Just now, PoetTiger said:

That’s what blows my mind!!! How many times do they have to keep making the same mistake before they learn!?

We're having trouble landing the big name coaches because while, yes, Auburn is/has all of the things that you mentioned, it also is in the toughest conference in the country with their 3 biggest rivals being 3 of the 10 most prestigious programs...and they don't seem to be trending downwards any time soon...and we play them every year. Add in Texas and Oklahoma joining here shortly, incredibly high and unrealistic expectations, and a rabid fanbase and it's not hard to see why kats would pass on being the HC.

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

And that is exactly what market value dictates even for good not great coaches. Mark stoops is making 8 million and kiffin now 9. It’s extremely tough to get any remotely successful power 5 coach to jump.

To 95% of fanbases, a guy who's been to an NC, two conference championship games in the toughest league in the nation against the toughest schedule in said league, and just dominated two #1s inside a month would be completely worth >$7M...for dare I say it, seven years. 🙄

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is nothing better than peace of mind that beyond a shadow of a doubt we have the right coaches in place for basketball and football. I was born in 89 so I’ve never had that feeling in football….

My point exactly!

@HabitualChiller --

image.gif

God willing, we'll "only" be playing two of those every year. Maybe if we get Vandy we'll be more desirable. But some of you *cough* want all three (or at least Florida, who could soon be in the same category as LSU).

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

'we all want'......

We? Heck half this board wouldn't take Kirby Smart because of his haircut or offense or where he attends church! Or doesn't. Saying AU fans are a little crazy is like saying the Grand Canyon is a ditch. I can't blame any coach for going to a school that will have give him some time and be a little less judgemental of his every move. That said, whoever we get , may he turn out to be a great hire , no matter who it is.

WDE.

He does have a pretty stupid haircut. 🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Listening to other fan bases talk over the last 24 hours makes me realize that they are scared to death that Auburn will actually hire someone good. 

That would be so nice for a change wouldn’t it? I can hope anyway.

4 hours ago, bishoptf said:

Honestly I think part of the problem goes back to the hiring of an AD, that really should have been done a lot sooner and I think that would have made for a smoother coaching search. That IMHO is on Roberts, the AD position should have been done much sooner, late summer etc. Cohen came in late and had to get up to speed etc, not making excuses but still I think that delayed things...

Some good points! Should’ve/could’ve been done sooner, it could’ve been done two years ago when Greene stopped showing up for work after the general was moved into the AD to babysit him. But they were scared to death to be called racist for getting rid of Greene before his contract expired.

Now it would appear, we’re worried about our image if we hire Freeze. Auburn just needs to do what’s best for Auburn, the haters are going to hate! There is no way the Bama controlled State media or BSPN is going to print positive things about the Auburn hire. I don’t know, if he really was all in for Kiffin, and that didn’t work out, so then it’s Freeze, supposedly he was about to sign Freeze, now he’s getting a bunch of pushback! Just freaking do what is best for Auburn, don’t worry about what the haters are going to say! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Sitting in one of the best recruiting locations in the country, with a rabid and loyal fan base…. 
Our choices should never have been 1) immature Twitter loving average coach Lane Kiffen or 2) put-auburn in a negative spotlight again average coach H Freeze.

Auburn is a powder keg with the right coach. Why are we settling? That is so frustrating. 

When will Auburn learn that paying for an elite coach is worth a hell of a lot more than paying coaches to leave.  

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/auburn-live-call-in-show-airs-sunday-night-7/  The problem is explained at the 55 minute mark. It is Jimmy Sexton.

4 hours ago, woodford said:

I agree. Something tells me if it’s not Freeze it may actually be a massive hire like Dabo. All those “experts” saying Kiffin would be the HC on Friday were all dead wrong like usual. 

I am not buying this Brian Johnson talk for one second. Cohen is not that stupid. 

Cohen will have to hire someone who is not a Sexton client.  Harsin was not a Sexton client.

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Ain’t that the truth?  We’re so dam good at it makes me wonder if we are somehow assisting with the Bobby Bonilla payout?

5 minutes ago, Aub2k said:

Ain’t that the truth?  We’re so dam good at it makes me wonder if we are somehow assisting with the Bobby Bonilla payout?

Now that brought back a memory!

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is nothing better than peace of mind that beyond a shadow of a doubt we have the right coaches in place for basketball and baseball. I was born in 89 so I’ve never had that feeling in football….

1989…man oh man. I remember 12 year old me watching Coach Dye at his peak, beating Bama in JHS in the First time Ever game.  My mom bought me my first score shirt later that week….30-20…”Here or there we don’t care we kicked your butts in Jordan -Hare! 4 in a row Bama! “ 

Ah good times good times.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Auburn has a bit of an identity crisis. We believe we're a 2nd teir job behind all three 3-4 blue bloods, but we're really a 3rd teir job in the 12-20 range.

We try to punch up during coaching hires and fail for a while. It's what is happening now.

What's more, TV money has become so great our financial advantages over teams like Ole Miss or really and of the bottom 8-9 SEC teams just isn't material. Ole Miss, he'll even Kentucky, can now easily pay a coach 8mm+.

We are a good job. We aren't an amazing job. We aren't a destination job. Add to the fact that our BOT is a constant disaster and here we are

There are 131 programs in FBS football.  Of those, the list of programs that have won national championships in the last 20 years is pretty short, yet Auburn is one of them, and they played for another.  Auburn is an amazing job, as they will pay top money for results, and they will even pay great money to make someone not coach anymore.  Auburn is a destination job, as coaches rarely leave Auburn for greener pastures.  Greener pastures for an Auburn coach are very rare, as Auburn will beat any offer to keep a coach worth keeping.  In the last 40 years, no one has left Auburn for a "better" job.

Auburn coaching searches may run afoul, for whatever reasons, but Auburn remains a top job.

1 hour ago, Tigers77 said:

1989…man oh man. I remember 12 year old me watching Coach Dye at his peak, beating Bama in JHS in the First time Ever game.  My mom bought me my first score shirt later that week….30-20…”Here or there we don’t care we kicked your butts in Jordan -Hare! 4 in a row Bama! “ 

Ah good times good times.

I was there with my dad. The paper shaker haze was so thick. We stayed in the stadium 20 minutes after the game screaming It’s great to be an AUburn tiger. 
great memory 

• Love 1