Should we accept a Bowl Game

gr82b4au

40 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Tank needs 30 yards to hit 1000 on the season. Although, I’d imagine he’d sit out.

let him get his thirty and then sit? i bet caddy would allow it. but i am confused. i thought i saw a headline where the team was split down the middle on playing or not playing? granted i just woke up and feel a little sickish. i guess a coach can make them play even tho some kids get to sit?

I think the recruiting angle is being overblown. There is a dead period coming up that doesn't end until after the bowls and playoffs are over. So, we can't recruit non-stop over the holidays anyway.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I think the recruiting angle is being overblown. There is a dead period coming up that doesn't end until after the bowls and playoffs are over. So, we can't recruit non-stop over the holidays anyway.

I think the bowl they are looking at would be before Christmas, right around the early signing day. When is the Recruiting dead Period.? 

100% yes.  I’m not sure why this is even a question The more teams a conference has in bowls the more money the conference gets.  The more money a conference gets the more money the schools get.  Why would you not want more money?  Who cares if Auburn loses to Tulane or some other AAC CUSA team in the Bham bowl?  It will affect nothing.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Could we not let the current staff coach the bowl and let Hugh and his staff recruit?

Sure, that could work too.  I was just thinking there could be value to the guys that are on the fence about entering the portal to see a little about how the new coach does things.  

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Guess Bama will find a way in again huh?  Bet USC loses just to make it so. 

I was thinking that, but I don't think they can pass Ohio State.  And I doubt they can pass TCU unless they get blown out by Kansas State, and maybe not even then.  Then USC is just insurance. Bama with 2 losses to less than impressive teams just isn't going to get there.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Of course you take it. These kids deserve it with how they closed out the year and the practice would be huge. 1000% take it.

Exactly right. We also need to be breaking in that brand spanking new shiny football only facility. Time for WORK.

50 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I was thinking that, but I don't think they can pass Ohio State.  And I doubt they can pass TCU unless they get blown out by Kansas State, and maybe not even then.  Then USC is just insurance. Bama with 2 losses to less than impressive teams just isn't going to get there.

Normally I agree.  But until they keep them out, I don't believe they will if there is a toss up.  And Bama both losses are by 1 play.  That's how they will likely see it. 

3 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Tank has played his last snap.  I really wish we had him under any other coach(es) than Gus' last year and Harsin.

Tank will play in the NFL I have no doubt. 

6 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I think the bowl they are looking at would be before Christmas, right around the early signing day. When is the Recruiting dead Period.? 

December 19 through January 12. There are also some "quiet periods" at other times. Then other days have certain exceptions. If you want a headache, here ya' go: https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibility-center/recruiting-rules/recruiting-calendar

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Tank will play in the NFL I have no doubt. 

After that move he put on the bammer defense that thought they had him in the backfield, he’ll play. That was an NFL move.

22 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

We need recruiting more than anything right now. 

Tons of D1 Recruits in the Tampa Bay Area...Caddy and him can visit IMG...it is less than ten minutes from my house.  There is fertile grounds in an hour & 1/2 from Tampa...Invite local coaches to the practice, D1 prospects and future prospects to come with their coaches to an open practice along with local AU fans...There are a ton of us here in the area.  Are you kidding we can show up and show out!...Oh and don't forget the players that we have on the Bucs....they may could show up on that day...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CCTAU said:

After that move he put on the bammer defense that thought they had him in the backfield, he’ll play. That was an NFL move.

He’s a first round pick! 

On 11/29/2022 at 2:06 AM, DAG said:

Kansas State beating TCU seems like the sure bet.

You think so? TCU is a helluva football team. Them running the table would be a great story. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

What exactly needs to happen for us to get the bid?

Auburn has to have a certain level of excellence in academic progress. I believe this team qualifies in that department. Then, there has to be a shortage of teams that won 6 or more games. That looks iffy. I'm not sure but I don't think the bowls can pass over a six-win team for one with a 5-7 record. That's what I've heard in passing, I haven't looked into it in depth.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Auburn has to have a certain level of excellence in academic progress. I believe this team qualifies in that department. Then, there has to be a shortage of teams that won 6 or more games. That looks iffy. I'm not sure but I don't think the bowls can pass over a six-win team for one with a 5-7 record. That's what I've heard in passing, I haven't looked into it in depth.

It's complicated. Probably have some things wrong. But from what I can gather -

Currently there are three open spots after all bowl eligible teams are taken. Buffalo is 5-6 and may earn one of the 3 spots Friday night against Akron. Of course it's also not impossible a six win team could decline a bid for some reason.

5-7 teams get bids based on APR, which my understanding is we are third. BUT.... one team we are behind, UNLV, just fired their coach Monday and has unofficially indicated they would decline a bowl bid.

But wait there's more:

App State is 6-6 but two wins are over FCS teams which makes them ineligible. However they are claiming a scheduling hardship and have asked the NCAA for a waiver to make them bowl eligible.

NMSU is 5-6 and has asked for a waiver to become bowl eligible because their 12th game was postponed (weather) and their opponent has declined to reschedule

There are no set guidelines or precedent for these waivers just the whim of the NCAA. But if either one is granted they would take open slots ahead of us.

Sorry if I got anything wrong

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, ertrader said:

It's complicated. Probably have some things wrong. But from what I can gather -

Currently there are three open spots after all bowl eligible teams are taken. Buffalo is 5-6 and may earn one of the 3 spots Friday night against Akron. Of course it's also not impossible a six win team could decline a bid for some reason.

5-7 teams get bids based on APR, which my understanding is we are third. BUT.... one team we are behind, UNLV, just fired their coach Monday and has unofficially indicated they would decline a bowl bid.

But wait there's more:

App State is 6-6 but two wins are over FCS teams which makes them ineligible. However they are claiming a scheduling hardship and have asked the NCAA for a waiver to make them bowl eligible.

NMSU is 5-6 and has asked for a waiver to become bowl eligible because their 12th game was postponed (weather) and their opponent has declined to reschedule

There are no set guidelines or precedent for these waivers just the whim of the NCAA. But if either one is granted they would take open slots ahead of us.

Sorry if I got anything wrong

Great summary. Thanks