Carnell Williams - Associate Head Coach

RunInRed

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So what are the responsibilities of an associate head coach?

Prolly not much.  A title, a figure head.  Guess he would take over if Hugh gets tossed from a game.

But it's good that AU and Freeze honored him with the title change.

5 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Prolly not much.  A title, a figure head.  

I think you're selling Caddy short here.  He's too smart to take a purely ceremonial position here..... after what he just did, his stock has never been higher.    If that were true,  he'd go somewhere else for a more substantial role.

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

I think you're selling Caddy short here.  He's too smart to take a purely ceremonial position here..... after what he just did, his stock has never been higher.    If that were true,  he'd go somewhere else for a more substantial role.

I don't think I'm selling him short.  He did a good job.  But his elevation in title was ceremonial.  A pat on the back for a job well done in an interim role.  A very big "thank you".  And also sort of "throwing a bone" to the misguided people who thought Caddy was ready for a HC job at AU.

I'd guess the title means different things in different circumstances. Here it's surely a recognition of & respect for what Caddy has done the past month. I also hope in this circumstance it means Caddy will be the "last one in the room" so to speak when decisions are being made about game plans (note: 318 yards rushing last Saturday), dealing with the guys, reaching out to the Auburn family, etc. I also hope it means Caddy has a front row seat for learning more fully the head coaching job. It's also a really smart move by Freeze. It's the best start he could have made toward winning over the Auburn family. If Caddy is all in, then most of us will move in that direction, even if the movement is slow for some, because we're certainly all in with Caddy.

• Like 1

does anyone know if caddy got a temp pay raise or a bonus for being head coach for four games? i hope so.

14 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I'd guess the title means different things in different circumstances. Here it's surely a recognition of & respect for what Caddy has done the past month. I also hope in this circumstance it means Caddy will be the "last one in the room" so to speak when decisions are being made about game plans (note: 318 yards rushing last Saturday), dealing with the guys, reaching out to the Auburn family, etc. I also hope it means Caddy has a front row seat for learning more fully the head coaching job. It's also a really smart move by Freeze. It's the best start he could have made toward winning over the Auburn family. If Caddy is all in, then most of us will move in that direction, even if the movement is slow for some, because we're certainly all in with Caddy.

It is a legitimate recognition of what Cadillac is and what he accomplished for AU. It also allows him to “grow” in the coaching world in a somewhat normal manner. 

• Like 1

I was pulling for him to be HC but it may be best for him to have some additional time to learn before he moves up.  I hope Auburn will make him HC  In Waiting like Texas did for Muschamp under Mack Brown (before he bailed on them, went to Florida and got run off).  I hope Freeze will find a role for Ike Hilliard, Zac Etheridge, Kendall Simmons and Trovon Reed too.  They are the type of guys we need on our side.  

Kind of a shame that this thread got buried under 9 others that are the same arguments over and over. War Eagle, Coach! As a fan that looks on 2004 as the greatest Auburn team to ever touch the field and the most tight-knit group I've ever seen, having Caddy's influence and abilities within our program is nothing but a positive!

Caddy is exactly where he should be. Now that he had a taste of being a HBC, he can learn the ins and outs from a pretty good one. This makes me feel a little better about the hiring of HF.

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So what are the responsibilities of an associate head coach?

He makes the coffee for the 8:30 am staff meetings.

• Dislike 1

I would think that keeping Coach Caddy on staff was very likely a requirement in Freeze's contract offer.  I am 99% certain Freeze would have kept him on anyway, but if our AD has a brain (and it looks like he does) this move had to happen to keep both the Auburn football players and the Auburn family/fans happy.  What Caddy did these last 4 weeks was beyond impressive, and I think he was probably the only guy on the planet that was capable of doing it given the state of the program at the time of Harsin's firing. 

Being hired as the Associate Head Coach and RB Coach is a big deal, and it will come with a very large raise I would imagine.  As the Associate Head Coach he will be able to learn first-hand how to handle all of the responsibilities of being a head coach, how to build a staff and delegate responsibilities within the staff, how to organize practices, how to schedule recruiting visits for various staff members, and he will get to learn a new offense that has been both innovative and prolific.  These are all things that Coach Caddy needs to learn to be a head coach at a major program.  Caddy will eventually be able to take the offense he played while at Auburn and combine it with plays and formations from Freeze's offense as well as Malzhan's to develop his "own" offensive identity when/if he takes a head coaching job. 

Assuming Freeze stays at Auburn a long time, it is also possible that Caddy could be hired as Auburn's Offensive Coordinator on down the road.  If Freeze hires an OC that has a lot of success over 3 or 4 years, that person will likely get offers to be a head coach somewhere.  If they do leave, Caddy will be in a great position to take that job over.  He would know Freeze's offense inside and out by that point, and if he can continue that level of success he will also get some HC job offers after 2 or 3 years.  

• Like 1