First Year expectations?

CT Tiger

Considering the recuiting incapability for the past cplk of yr, don't expect that happen even with a great coach like CHF. I will bet on 2024

No.

I keep it real simple. The only expectation I have is to go to the games and cheer on the Tigers no matter the score. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, aucat said:

Considering the recuiting incapability for the past cplk of yr, don't expect that happen even with a great coach like CHF. I will bet on 2024

2024 is when the expanded playoff starts. 

I can’t imagine any reasonable AU person would expect a playoff spot next year. That’s pushing it a little even for a crazy fanbase like us lol. :) 

If we hit the portal and recruit optimally, I’d say top 20-15. We have a very big hole to dig out of. Two years is asking for a lot of stars to align.

• WarTiger changed the title to First Year expectations?

I'm not going to fantasize about making the playoffs just yet, but if you're being honest getting into the top 12 is not all that lofty of a goal when you have 3 loss teams up in that range now. But those 3 losses can't be Bama/UGA/LSU and still expect to get there.

For next year, I "expect" improvement and we get Vandy along with an easier non-conference schedule, so I'll say 7 wins minimum, hoping for 8.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

His buddy Gus had us within 13 seconds of a natty. Is Hugh gonna let Gus out coach him?

Are you saying you expect us to be in the national championship game? Surely you understand the meaning of “context.”

I want it to look like we practice and game plan during the week.  I want our HC to show up and actually recruit in state talent.  

Our needs are to great to have a complete turn around even with the Portal.  In this years HS class we would have to flip a lot of players most of whom would not help in 1st year.  Then we lose our best two DL in Wooden and Hall plus though not great we lose almost whole O-Line.  Basically we are looking at rebuilding O-Line and D-line both starters and backups.  It is hard to say how good our DB's are because when we had games like bama where we were not getting pressure we were asking them to cover for to long.  We have two very good RB's in Hunter and Alston plus it appears we still have Cobb coming in so we are ok there.  Need an infusion of talent at LB,  current WR's might be ok but need more big ones, we are fine at TE and who knows at QB. 

I am looking for filling out HS class some of whom will be projects especially O-line, Portal to start rebuild but will still have holes.  The good to great teams have enough talent to rotate to keep players fresh and to be ready for injuries. I don't think we can pull in enough talent to be able to do that in 1st year.  

I always hope for the best but what I would like to see if enough of a talent infusion that we can beat the cream puffs, be competitive with the big boys for 2 or 3 quarters before lack of depth hurts us and a scheme on both O and D that hides our weaknesses.

• Like 2

Lets see what the roster looks like in a few months. The roster as of today is on the low end of the conference. I think that will inprove but it remains to be seen how quick and to what degree

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

I mean I assumed the sarcasm would come through…..

Have you seen the last 48 hours with people calling others rapist, quoting scripture , etc

I am not going to assume anything as that seems to be an ongoing issue. Glad you weren’t being serious though 

• Like 1

Year 1:    7-8 wins. 

Hopefully year 3 we are making a run for an appearance in the SEC championship game and a playoff spot - I have no idea what the dynamics of the SEC will look like by 2026.  Pods? 12 team playoff?

3 hours ago, einatlanta said:

I will answer this question when we have purchased the best OL and DL that money can buy😁

It still feels weird that this is an above board statement now. 😄

• Like 1

No reason Auburn can’t be in the playoff hunt in 2024.  I think I heard yesterday that LSU was in the same position scholly wise as Auburn will be after this year.  Last I checked they play in Atlanta this weekend.  2 portal classes and 1 HS class could get Auburn top 15 depending on how things break.  Obvious goal is to depend less and less on the portal except for roster band aids and home run prospects.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I can’t imagine any reasonable AU person would expect a playoff spot next year. That’s pushing it a little even for a crazy fanbase like us lol. :) 

Why? Lately at AU football, head coaches come  in and win a championship year one,  then we give them a 100 million contract and the next year they go to crap . So I would be ok if maybe we just have a winning record and then improve every year afterward 🤔

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

No reason Auburn can’t be in the playoff hunt in 2024.  I think I heard yesterday that LSU was in the same position scholly wise as Auburn will be after this year.  Last I checked they play in Atlanta this weekend.  2 portal classes and 1 HS class could get Auburn top 15 depending on how things break.  Obvious goal is to depend less and less on the portal except for roster band aids and home run prospects.

True with the portal things can change fast. Look at the Joe Borrows, that transferred looking like a walk on then turned  into a Heisman winner the next year at the new school.