Jake Thornton OL Coach

jknighton

AUBURN — Ole Miss offensive line coach Jake Thornton will be Auburn’s next offensive line coach under Hugh Freeze according to On3 Sports’ Matt Zenitz.

Ole Miss finished third nationally in rushing at 261 yards per game in 2022. Freshman Quinshon Judkins rushed for 1,476 yards and 16b touchdowns, while Zach Evans rushed for 899 yards and eight touchdowns this season.

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/jake-thornton-tabbed-as-auburns-next-offensive-line-coach/?s=09

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Huge disappointment not getting Matt Luke.

Thought I’d read Thornton’s o-line was 3rd in the nation. I’d settle for 3rd in the SEC at this point. I’d be elated with 3rd in the nation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Huge disappointment that he is not coming out of retirement? Holy crap lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Now come on, who wouldn't want to go back to work when they don't have to... it just doesn't make sense that he wants to spend time with his family... Hugh freeze can't recruit! 

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He was never an option. The problem is that everyone is listening to these paysites and gravitating to these big names. As soon as he was mentioned several days ago, it was posted on this site that ML was not coming out of retirement by someone that knew him very well. 
these auburn pay sites just set people up for disappointment. THEY WANT CLICKS. 
This OL coach is pretty good from what I can tell. Know very little about him but I do know the last 3 we had were Awful. 

Where is Thornton from? He may be the most important hire behind Caddy. We have had an awful OL for years now and that’s where games are often won. Never heard of him, but that means nothing if he can recruit and coach. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Considering the program in general the past few years and what we’ve gone through, luring a guy out of retirement to go to work again isn’t even in the league of what I’d classify as a huge disappointment. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

He was never an option. The problem is that everyone is listening to these paysites and gravitating to these big names. As soon as he was mentioned several days ago, it was posted on this site that ML was not coming out of retirement by someone that knew him very well. 
these auburn pay sites just set people up for disappointment. THEY WANT CLICKS. 
This OL coach is pretty good from what I can tell. Know very little about him but I do know the last 3 we had were Awful. 

Bingo.

Wouldn't be surprised if Freeze checked out Matt Luke situation and maybe others before grabbing Thornton. I'm good with CJT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If I'm ever in a position to retire, I'll be darned if anyone talks me out of it 😆 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

If you were hanging your hat on Luke to be happy with the OL coach hire, your expectations are out of whack. He was the long shot not the expected get. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Ha it is done. We have hired the OL coach from Ole Miss

I've read that it was expected. I haven't read it was confirmed. If so congrats to coach Thornton. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUFiend said:

If the guys refuses to come out of retirement, there's not much you can do. can't force him to come back.

Completely understand - I was banking on his relationship with Hugh Freeze being the difference. I was hoping Freeze would be the only one to pull him out of retirement, and Hugh could prove his recruiting prowess right off the bat. It would’ve been a big feather in our cap over UGA, and maybe would’ve opened the door for getting some of the UGA lineman to hit the portal. But… oh well, moving on.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1