Jake Thornton OL Coach

jknighton

4 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Huge disappointment not getting Matt Luke.

Cam I am really upset we didn’t get Saban. It happens. This guy is good. The numbers don’t lie .

• Haha 1

Ok, so can we please get some idea of what’s official and what isn’t? Someone in another thread said OM threw the sink at him to keep him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Huge disappointment not getting Matt Luke.

True, but at least he isn't coaching against us anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

#1 rushing team in the SEC. #3 in sacks allowed. If we hired Kiffin, this is likely one of the guys he brings with him. Nothing about this hire should come as a disappointment. 

Ferguson looks at less impressive numbers.

41FB8B57-DEF0-43E9-AB28-A46CB4CB190D.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

How do you let a First round All-Pro in Kendall Simmons go?

I’m not saying he’s a good or bad oline coach, but what does Kendall’s record as a player have to do with his abilities as a coach?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I’m not saying he’s a good or bad oline coach, but what does Kendall’s record as a player have to do with his abilities as a coach?

HE IS AUBURN!! This don't happen by accident.  This kind of experience on your staff would help bring in higher level recruits. Did you see OM QB run for his life towards the end of the year??  

Former Auburn great and eight-year NFL veteran Kendall Simmons was named the offensive line coach at his alma mater in November 2022.

A two-time First Team All-SEC and All-American offensive lineman at Auburn, Simmons returned to the Plains as an offensive analyst in January 2019 and assumed that role for nearly four years before becoming offensive line coach.

The 2001 SEC Jacobs Blocking Trophy winner, Simmons started 36 games for Auburn from 1997-2001 and was a member of a pair of SEC Western Division Championship teams in 1997 and 2000 and a co-championship team in 2001.  

Following his collegiate career, Simmons was selected by the Pittsburgh Steelers with the 30th overall pick in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft and went on to play seven seasons in the yellow and black. He was named the team’s Rookie of the Year in 2002 and won Super Bowls XL and XLIII with the organization during the 2005 and 2008 seasons. Simmons retired after playing the 2009 season for Buffalo and New England. 

Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2003, Simmons has played an active role in the diabetes community and has served as a motivational speaker for children and adults with diabetes across the country.

A native of Ripley, Mississippi, Simmons graduated from Auburn with a degree in graphic arts in 2001. 

14 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Kendall Simmons was named the offensive line coach at his alma mater in November 2022.

Simmons returned to the Plains as an offensive analyst in January 2019 and assumed that role for nearly four years before becoming offensive line coach. 

He is one of my favorite linemen ever.  Was an exceptional painter also BTW,

but  his coaching resume consists of...2 lines?

Coaching and playing are two different animals.  being a great player is not much of an advantage recruiting against other great players that are also coaches now.  He just needs some experience. I would love to keep him here,  but understand if Freeze wants a more experienced guy.

It's nothing personal,  it's just business.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

#1 rushing team in the SEC. #3 in sacks allowed. If we hired Kiffin, this is likely one of the guys he brings with him. Nothing about this hire should come as a disappointment. 

No3 in sacks allowed?

I hope this is true, great hire. Tell all the recruits how kiff screwed up by not going hard after the AU job, or how maybe he did go hard after the job but freeze was a better option. Tell them how great it is for him to get the opportunity to go to AU anyway. 

Seems like a good hire. I wonder did Judkins make them look better than they actually were. He broke a lot of tackles and had incredible balance to where you couldn’t knock him over easy 

6 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Seems like a good hire. I wonder did Judkins make them look better than they actually were. He broke a lot of tackles and had incredible balance to where you couldn’t knock him over easy 

A player of Judkins talent level always make a coach look great. But unlike our backs, he rarely got hit in the backfield and often had a head of steam prior to initial defender contact. I think that is a feather in the cap of the online coach. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

A player of Judkins talent level always make a coach look great. But unlike our backs, he rarely got hit in the backfield and often had a head of steam prior to initial defender contact. I think that is a feather in the cap of the online coach. 

Or (as in our case), the lack of Jimmy's & Joe's.  WDE

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

Wanted Matt Luke, but since that was likely never realistic, SEEMS like a pretty good hire.

And one last parting jab to Kiffen to boot!

• Like 1