Jake Thornton OL Coach

jknighton

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Seems like a good hire. I wonder did Judkins make them look better than they actually were. He broke a lot of tackles and had incredible balance to where you couldn’t knock him over easy 

And how many time did Tank get hit in the backfield ...  This is a step up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Coaching and playing are two different animals. 

Yeah, just because a guy knows how to do something at the highest level, doesn't mean he knows how to do something at the highest level.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

Yeah, just because a guy knows how to do something at the highest level, doesn't mean he knows how to do something at the highest level.

Should we try to get Herschel Walker as coach?    

Deion was blessed with amazing physical talent.  He was ALWAYS the fastest player on the field by far.   But physical ablity has nothing to do with being head coach.   Not saying being a good athlete excludes you from being a good coach, but I doesn't automatically include you in that group either.    More often than not it makes no difference at all.   

I can not think of one exception athlete head coach that would be considered a top 25 coach.    Lots of them were good players,  but none exceptional that I can think of off hand.     

Give me that slower than average, or undersize player that learned  all the nuances, intricacies, strategies and fundamentals of the game just to compete at the highest level.  Those that had to fight for every single thing they ever got in the game.   The ones everyone doubted but they overcame it with exceptional work ethic.    

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Should we try to get Herschel Walker as coach? 

I'm sorry.  That is too disingenuous to even consider.  The man has mental problems.

Nice try though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I wonder did Judkins make them look better than they actually were.

Only one way to settle this…. Let’s bring Judkins and those FR OTs to AU and see how they do!!!😁

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

and those FR OTs to AU and see how they do!!!😁

I think that is the key,,, blocking.  We haven't been very good at it for some time.

One thing I will say for Freeze,,, he knows his offense doesn't work without effective blocking.

War Eagle Coach Thorton. I'm excited about what Auburn can be again with an offensive line coach that can coach them up while the focus on recruiting is amped up. This is gonna be a great hire.

19 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Yeah, just because a guy knows how to do something at the highest level, doesn't mean he knows how to teach others to do something at the highest level.

FIFY

On 12/4/2022 at 5:32 PM, CameronCrazy said:

Completely understand - I was banking on his relationship with Hugh Freeze being the difference. I was hoping Freeze would be the only one to pull him out of retirement, and Hugh could prove his recruiting prowess right off the bat. It would’ve been a big feather in our cap over UGA, and maybe would’ve opened the door for getting some of the UGA lineman to hit the portal. But… oh well, moving on.

If Im able to retire at like 55 and live my days comfortably with my family around, nobody could talk me into that. 

1 hour ago, ChrisH said:

If Im able to retire at like 55 and live my days comfortably with my family around, nobody could talk me into that. 

Matt is 46.  He's likely going to come out of retirement at some point.  My guess is when his kids are old enough that he's comfortable with the time commitments again.  Then again, maybe not.

I assume Thornton has already contacted these big time OLs that just hit the Portal. I'm sure the word is out about 4 open slots. Not sure  any of our inexperienced backups are ready. AU needs the most talented 4 that we can get ASAP. Sure hope the money is there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisH said:

I’m betting he is still very busy, just a different kind of busy.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

He is one of my favorite linemen ever.  Was an exceptional painter also BTW,

but  his coaching resume consists of...2 lines?

Coaching and playing are two different animals.  being a great player is not much of an advantage recruiting against other great players that are also coaches now.  He just needs some experience. I would love to keep him here,  but understand if Freeze wants a more experienced guy.

It's nothing personal,  it's just business.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:11 PM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

He is one of my favorite linemen ever.  Was an exceptional painter also BTW,

but  his coaching resume consists of...2 lines?

Coaching and playing are two different animals.  being a great player is not much of an advantage recruiting against other great players that are also coaches now.  He just needs some experience. I would love to keep him here,  but understand if Freeze wants a more experienced guy.

It's nothing personal,  it's just business.

There is no comparison here between these two guys, Jake Thornton and Kendall Simmons. Bio's are not even close. 

• Like 1