Defensive Coordinator  
DL Jeremy Garrett
DE  
LB  
OLB  
CB Zac Etheridge
Safety  

Special Teams  

Only one spot to fill on the offensive side. 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

OK, I have seen it mentioned on multiple sites that Wesley "Crime Dog" McGriff is coming back to AU as DB coach which will move Zac over to Safties.  I have not seen anything here.  Can anyone confirm or deny.  I am excited about that hire, but would like some confirmation before I become a part of the rumor mill.

1 hour ago, AUDaddio said:

OK, I have seen it mentioned on multiple sites that Wesley "Crime Dog" McGriff is coming back to AU as DB coach which will move Zac over to Safties.  I have not seen anything here.  Can anyone confirm or deny.  I am excited about that hire, but would like some confirmation before I become a part of the rumor mill.

Some of this is confirmed by officials. The names mentioned are likely part of the staff but it is mostly guesswork as far as who is on the field or in an off field role. I don’t think that will resolve completely until the OC and DC are named. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

It's very curious to me that we have an OL and DL coach in place without the OC and DC being hired yet. Makes me wonder if they have agreed to come but have to fulfill current obligations and have agreed in part to come to AU? Seems like that is such a big part of their job that they would want their own OL and DL guys. If this is the case it seems that we may have a couple of good Co-coordinators coming. May just be my orange colored glasses though...

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Makes me wonder if they have agreed to come but have to fulfill current obligations and have agreed in part to come to AU?

You might just be on to something. Here, take your internet point.

• Thanks 1

Since we can only have a total of 11 on field coaches on staff (NCAA limit), I thought I'd show how Freeze organized Liberty vs our announced hiring's.

11 Liberty   6 Auburn  
  1 Head Coach   1 Head Coach  

1 Co-Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach        
  1 Co-Offensive Coordinator/WR Coach   1 WR Coach  
  1 Tight Ends   1 Tight Ends  
  1 Running Backs   1 Running Backs / Associate Head Coach  
  1 Offensive Line   1 Offensive Line  

1 Co-Defensive Coordinator/LB Coach        
  1 Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties        
  1 Defensive Line   1 Defensive Line  
  1 Defensive Backs     ??  

1 Special Teams Coordinator        

We do not know yet if Zac has secured on on the field spot on this coaching staff - this is what I remembered being announced.  That is why I have "??" shown above.

I think the coordinator positions maybe known just not announced - I hope.  

We have 4-5 coaches yet to announce.  

35 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

It's very curious to me that we have an OL and DL coach in place without the OC and DC being hired yet. Makes me wonder if they have agreed to come but have to fulfill current obligations and have agreed in part to come to AU? Seems like that is such a big part of their job that they would want their own OL and DL guys. If this is the case it seems that we may have a couple of good Co-coordinators coming. May just be my orange colored glasses though...

This has been the weirdest staff hiring I can ever remember in Auburn history. 

I cannot remember a time where we hired offensive and defensive staff without hiring an OC or DC. All of the Auburn sites are scrambling because half of them don’t know who has been hired and who has not. There are 2 choices at WR coach according to rivals. We may or may not have an LB coach, safety coach, and Corners coach. No DC named yet. And Auburn has not put out any official hirings yet other than Carnell. 
Rivals literally stopped making guesses and predictions days ago. Hoke throws stuff out there that is ludicrous (speed). 

just like the head coaching search, nobody knows. 

in my opinion, we had some names that we were going to hire, but other teams have stepped up or stepped in to offer more money. And it is causing us to have to reevaluate.

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

in my opinion, we had some names that we were going to hire, but other teams have stepped up or stepped in to offer more money. And it is causing us to have to reevaluate.

Well, I went from being optimistic to meh.... Thanks!

Just kidding, I would expect nothing less at this time of year. Everyone is scrambling to make hires and the only winners are the agents Like Jimmy Sexton. Oh well, I guess we just need to get the popcorn out and watch and see how it all pans out.  

1 hour ago, AUnCullman said:

Well, I went from being optimistic to meh.... Thanks!

Just kidding, I would expect nothing less at this time of year. Everyone is scrambling to make hires and the only winners are the agents Like Jimmy Sexton. Oh well, I guess we just need to get the popcorn out and watch and see how it all pans out.  

Haha. At first I think yeah, this is a negative, but in many cases it turns out to be a positive. Hopefully that is what we see. 
We need recruiters and a lot of them. And we need a strong DC. 
Everything else is gravy. 
the portal opens today so we need it fast 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AUnCullman said:

I am thinking he may have lined up co-ordinators. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

This has been the weirdest staff hiring I can ever remember in Auburn history. 

I cannot remember a time where we hired offensive and defensive staff without hiring an OC or DC. All of the Auburn sites are scrambling because half of them don’t know who has been hired and who has not. There are 2 choices at WR coach according to rivals. We may or may not have an LB coach, safety coach, and Corners coach. No DC named yet. And Auburn has not put out any official hirings yet other than Carnell. 
Rivals literally stopped making guesses and predictions days ago. Hoke throws stuff out there that is ludicrous (speed). 

just like the head coaching search, nobody knows. 

Most likely he knows whom the OC and DC are going to be, has talked to them etc. Waiting for the college bowl season or the NFL season to be completed to publicly name them.

I don’t think Freeze in his new office thinking… well golly gee, should I pick this guy or maybe this guy or that guy, I just can’t figure it out.

• Like 1

It’s also the first time a new hire is jumping into portal week and early signing period all at the same time while working the coaching tree. 

• Like 2

WJOX just stated that Brandon Marcello is reporting that Coach Crime Dog McGriff is returning to The Plains.  Ruff, Ruff!!

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 2

McGriff expected to rejoin Auburn football coaching staff

25 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama–A veteran defensive coach who spent the 2016, 2019 and 2020 seasons at Auburn, Wesley McGriffis expected back to the Plains to join Hugh Freeze’s staff, a source confirms to Auburnundercover. His role on the defensive staff is still to be determined. 

Coaching twice at Auburn and Ole Miss in addition to a season spent at Vanderbilt and also working at Kentucky, McGriff is very familiar with the Southeastern Conference. The Georgia native brings a veteran presence to the staff and versatility with the ability to coach multiple positions.

Working the 2022 season at Louisville, McGriff spent the 2021 season at Florida where he served as the secondary coach. The Gators were one of the top teams against the pass, finishing 25th nationally with an average of 203.9 yards through the air.

Part of Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele’s staff at Auburn for two seasons, McGriff coached NFL Draft picks Noah Igbinoghene and Daniel Thomas on a defense ranked eighth nationally in both red zone and third down defense in 2019, allowing only 19.5 points per game against a schedule that featured six 11-win opponents. In 2020 the Tigers had nine interceptions in 11 games with safeties Jamien Sherwood and Smoke Monday having breakout seasons along with cornerback Roger McCreary.

In his season as co-defensive coordinator at Auburn, McGriff helped guide the 2016 Tigers to a Sugar Bowl berth as the Tigers went from the bottom third of the SEC in 2015 to top three in the league in 2016 in scoring defense (11th/26.0 to 2nd/15.6), rushing defense (11th/182.7 to 3rd/124.8) and third-down conversion defense (13th/44.9 to 2nd/34.0).
The Tigers gave up far fewer explosive plays of 10+ yards (190 in 2015, 144 in 2016) and were locked down when it came to allowing touchdowns in the red zone (51.0 percent to 34.2 percent). Auburn ranked seventh nationally in scoring defense (17.1 ppg) and 11th in total red zone defense (74.4 percent) in 2016.

McGriff served as defensive coordinator at Mississippi during the 2017-18 seasons, adding the title of associate head coach during his second season. During the 2017 campaign McGriff guided a defense that included NFL draft picks in Breeland Speaks (second round) and Marquis Haynes (fourth round). The pair combined for 14.5 sacks, and both earned second team all-SEC honors.

Also with pro experience, McGriff spent three seasons in the NFL with the New Orleans Saints, working with the defensive backs. In his first two seasons McGriff oversaw the development of safeties Rafael Bush, Kenny Vaccaro and Pierre Warren and cornerback Terrence Frederick while also depending on safety Jairus Byrd and cornerback Keenan Lewis, who led the Saints with 13 passes defensed, adding two interceptions. Vaccaro led the New Orleans secondary with 113 tackles.

14COMMENTS

McGriff spent the 2011 season as defensive backs coach/recruiting coordinator at Vanderbilt where he helped the Commodores to only their fifth all-time bowl appearance. His secondary produced 12 interceptions (three returned for touchdowns). McGriff helped Green Bay Packer player Casey Hayward become the first Vanderbilt All-American in four years, posting seven interceptions, the third-highest season total ever by a Commodore. McGriff spent four seasons as the secondary coach at Miami (Fla.). In 2010, the Hurricanes ranked second in the nation in pass defense, allowing just 164.3 yards per game. The Miami defense ranked 16th nationally and 21st in scoring defense. In 2009 he tutored All-America defensive back Brandon Harris, seven-year NFL veteran safety Kenny Phillips (2007 All-American and first round NFL draft pick) and Green Bay defensive back Sam Shields. McGriff served as the defensive backs coach/recruiting coordinator at Baylor from 2003-06 and enjoyed his first SEC stint at Kentucky from 2001-02.

McGriff joins former Ole Miss offensive line coach Jake Thornton and Liberty assistants Jeremy Garrett (defensive line) and Ben Aigamaua (tight ends) as hires for Freeze on his first Auburn staff.

Further, McGriff was Freeze's DC at Ole Miss. If a DC wasn't lined up or a difficult hire, Freeze would have hired McGriff to the DC spot. IMO, it means Auburn has a DC that currently has contractual obligations. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DAG said:

There has to be a DC if we are hiring like this.

Do you have any guesses?