Freeze's Staff

Potatooooooes!!

19 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Amazing. It truly is amazing how bad Harsin was at Auburn. 

If you consider where he came from and inherited what Petersen built, it’s not amazing he flamed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

Kelly was hired 2 days ago.

Nope 

24 minutes ago, Viper said:

Kelly was hired 2 days ago.

Yes, i stated that in another post when someone was asking which Kelly. He went to Colorado with Sanders but some folks are saying that it's not official yet because Kelly supposedly wants the DC job here and supposedly Rane wants him to be the DC here, but Freeze supposedly wants Arnett.

1 hour ago, GAAubie said:

FSU was begging for him to go when he was their DC. I don't want him at AU...as DC...

I would say I’m a given year, about 70% of CFB teams want one or both of their coordinators fired. That’s just the way it is. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUFiend said:

Yes, i stated that in another post when someone was asking which Kelly. He went to Colorado with Sanders but some folks are saying that it's not official yet because Kelly supposedly wants the DC job here and supposedly Rane wants him to be the DC here, but Freeze supposedly wants Arnett.

Although hearsay, this is why Freeze wasn't the best hire in the world. He has zero leverage and the boosters know it. The fact we have a bunch of position coaches hired before even hiring coordinators is probably a symptom of this. Other coaches and players see this and can easily use it to paint a chaotic picture before we even get started. We need to get this staff finished out and get it together ASAP. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 4

3 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Although hearsay, this is why Freeze wasn't the best hire in the world. He has zero leverage and the boosters know it. The fact we have a bunch of position coaches hired before even hiring coordinators is probably a symptom of this. Other coaches and players see this and can easily use it to paint a chaotic picture before we even get started. We need to get this staff finished out and get it together ASAP. 

people keep saying this about hiring the position coaches first, but it doesn't make sense. once a staff is already in place, you don't fire assistants every time you change coordinators, so it shouldn't make a difference to start with either. i think it just seems like the coordinators get hired first, but isn't and shouldn't always be the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Amazing. It truly is amazing how bad Harsin was at Auburn. 

He truly is our football version of Tony Barbee. This story has a chance to turn out alot like the basketball teams story.

Cliff Ellis won us an SEC Title and did pretty good during his tenure here. We hired the hot new G5 coach Tony Barbee who had coached and learned under a very good coach in John Calipari. Barbee absolutely bombs out and we fire him. Then we hire a coach that had done well at another SEC school but lost his job due to some NCAA issues. That's Bruce Pearl and Bruce has now taken our basketball program to new heights.

Our football program had Gus Malzahn who had won us an SEC Title and did quiet well here. We fired him and went with a winning G5 coach, Harsin,  that coached and learned under one of the best in Chris Petersen. Harsin ended up bombing here at Auburn and we fired him. We then hired Freeze who had coached at another SEC school and had really good success there (good for Ole Miss) but had lost his job due to NCAA issues. Hopefully Freeze can get us close to what Pearl has done for basketball.

It is pretty wild how eerily similar both programs have gone and the type coaches we've fired and hired. WDE

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AUFiend said:

people keep saying this about hiring the position coaches first, but it doesn't make sense. once a staff is already in place, you don't fire assistants every time you change coordinators, so it shouldn't make a difference to start with either. i think it just seems like the coordinators get hired first, but isn't and shouldn't always be the case.

I agree with you for sure.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, Topher 1310 said:

I need someone to sell me on Zach Arnett. The cowbells have never been top 50 in scoring defense under him I believe. 

How would this guy be a remotely good hire?

I'm clearly missing something.

No one has been able to give one good reason why this would be a great hire.

36 minutes ago, AUFiend said:

You're right. I think people are freaking out because they don't know every single little move our football coach and staff does. Freeze and other staff are working overtime recruiting high school and portal players ever since Freeze was named HC. Freeze said in an interview with Andy Burcham that he hasn't slept much since taking the job. 

I guess some people want Freeze to call a press conference everytime he makes a hire or interviews a potential coordinator. But if he did that, those same people would complain that he needs to be out recruiting an O-Line instead of making pressers about his staff hires.

Alot of people will NEVER be pleased with anything. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

The cold hard truth is that Coach Hugh Freeze is the face of AU football, for recruiting and everything else.  Forget the coordinators for now.  All that matters between now and mid-February is the portal and the early and late National Signing Days.

Come March 1, 2023, if the Liberty Defensive Coordinator is then our DC, then I will be one of the first to cry foul.  Until then, I am willing to give Coach Freeze time to rebuild the roster and to allow the coaching carousel to shake out so we can complete the staff.  The real coaching from the coordinators probably won't begin before March 1 anyway.

I don't believe that many recruits choose their schools based upon the names and pedigrees of the coordinators.  Be honest - excepting Kevin Steele (who was good but overpaid), very few coordinators have lasted more than 2 years since Tuberville was hired at the end of 1998.

• Like 2

Just now, TigerVII said:

The cold hard truth is that Coach Hugh Freeze is the face of AU football, for recruiting and everything else.  Forget the coordinators for now.  All that matters between now and mid-February is the portal and the early and late National Signing Days.

Come March 1, 2023, if the Liberty Defensive Coordinator is then our DC, then I will be one of the first to cry foul.  Until then, I am willing to give Coach Freeze time to rebuild the roster and to allow the coaching carousel to shake out so we can complete the staff.  The real coaching from the coordinators probably won't begin before March 1 anyway.

I don't believe that many recruits choose their schools based upon the names and pedigrees of the coordinators.  Be honest - excepting Kevin Steele (who was good but overpaid), very few coordinators have lasted more than 2 years since Tuberville was hired at the end of 1998.

You're right, but I sure am anxious to know who the coordinators are.

1 hour ago, TigerVII said:

Seems logical that higher rated OC’s and DC’s will wait to see dominoes fall relative HC positions b4 taking coordinator roles.

2 hours ago, Topher 1310 said:

No one has been able to give one good reason why this would be a great hire.

Why would it be a bad hire? I think it would be great but I don’t think he is truly considering AU. 

Coordinators bring in recruits who they have connections with. Ex- Coach Mason brought Kaufman over with him two years ago. I’m anxious to see who we get and more importantly who might join them.