What have we see so far from Freeze?

AURex

3 minutes ago, Taker said:

Not having an OC or DC yesterday tells me 1 of 2 things, he is either still in the NC hunt ORRR Danny can't decide.... 

If still in NC hunt, your chooses are:  Todd Monken, Glenn Shumann, Will Muschamp, Jesse Minter, Matt Weiss, Sherrone Moore, Garrett Riley, Joe Gillespie, Jim Knowles, or Kevin Wilson.  Am I missing anyone.

Of that bunch......I would love Garrett Riley or Matt Weiss for OC and Will Muschamp or Jim Knowles for DC.  It's probably that Danny can't decide.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

It will be interesting to watch. I’m totally familiar with the Boulder political scene etc. I don’t want to post something that belongs in the political thread; it’ll be interesting to see how they handle him!

Besides the God card, (as you called it) can you imagine any other coach (modern day) on day one saying: no hats, no earrings, only certain shoes, etc. etc. etc. We need some culture change, who knows, maybe he’s the one.

That's the thing I liked about Deion the most. It's a shame if any other coach attempted that their career would be destroyed. It's not a "culture" thing, it's a "can you follow simple rules, have respect, or are you an idiot?" That's the whole point.

10 hours ago, AURex said:

Am I the only one who is concerned about another Malzahn-like good buddy staff ..... and worse .... Harsin-like good buddy staff.

I'm hoping for some A+ surprise hires at the assistant/coordinator level.

Most of these hires that Freeze is making from Liberty are repaying these coaches for sticking with him through thick and thin.  I'm not sure if they are the best hires or not, but he feels obligated to giving them a chance on his Auburn staff.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

We’ve always said let the HC choose his own staff soooooo, let’s let the HC choose his staff lol. He’s on a time crunch so it’s only natural to go with his comfort zone and hire folks he knows and has worked with. Does anyone really expect him to fill out the staff with a bunch of dudes he doesn’t know? 

Hate to break the news to other folks, but the OC won't be a splash hire. It will be more like  a protégé to Danny Hugh. 

• Like 1

Freeze can hire his friends, but he better be willing to fire them if they don't perform or work out. 

Way too many examples out there of head coaches who choose to protect their coordinator friends job's and reputation than do what is best for their football team.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AURex said:

1. He has hit the road on awesome fashion to rub-nub and howdy-there with bunches of Alabama high school coaches. This is AWESOMENESS way beyond Harsin and I am really impressed.

That is too easy on Harsin.  Harsin didn't believe he needed to meet any of the coaches or players.  That they needed to come to him and bow before his greatness. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

We’ve always said let the HC choose his own staff soooooo, let’s let the HC choose his staff lol. He’s on a time crunch so it’s only natural to go with his comfort zone and hire folks he knows and has worked with. Does anyone really expect him to fill out the staff with a bunch of dudes he doesn’t know? 

x1000

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Hate to break the news to other folks, but the OC won't be a splash hire. It will be more like  a protégé to Danny Hugh. 

The Derrick Nix hire would have been exciting because of his recruiting but even he turned down Freeze according to OM mods.  I don't like the way this is trending.  The OC at the minimum needs to either be a great coach or a great recruiter. 

• Like 1

Given that Freeze has done a good job improving every program he's ever run, bringing on some of the same coaches that helped him do that seems like a wise move to me, not favoritism.

giphy.gif

Edited by Auburn02
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

Given that Freeze has done a good job improving every program he's ever run, bringing on some of the same coaches that helped him do that seems like a wise move to me, not favoritism.

Can he do that under scrutiny is the real question.

4 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Has Mason been fired???? 

Lawyer: Objection your Honor, relevance?

Judge: Sustained.

• Haha 1

It's still playing out, but so far it's looking very, very familiar. 

13 hours ago, AURex said:

1. He has hit the road on awesome fashion to rub-nub and howdy-there with bunches of Alabama high school coaches. This is AWESOMENESS way beyond Harsin and I am really impressed.

2. He is hiring his buds from Liberty and Ole Miss. I guess we'd expect that with a new coach, but personally I'd like to see some nationally great hires -- i.e. from NFL or great teams. This not only for expertise, but also from recruiting vantage. For example, Saban hires O'Brien

Am I the only one who is concerned about another Malzahn-like good buddy staff ..... and worse .... Harsin-like good buddy staff.

I'm hoping for some A+ surprise hires at the assistant/coordinator level.

1.  Yes!!!  He is going to bring talent!!!   Therefore, we will improve significantly!   Within the next 2-3 years, we should be in “reload mode” thanks to much improved recruiting and the portal!

2.  I’m not overly concerned yet.  These guys have helped him vastly and quickly revitalize programs, so it’s not like he’s hiring scrubs.   Also, it makes sense that those closest to him would be the first ones hired.  Much less vetting involved.   He will finish the staff with guys he’s less familiar with.    I am much more interested in the defensive hires.   Those guys are going to have more autonomy, so they need to be very good!   Finally, even if I don’t initially like some of the hires, I will reserve judgment until I see results, or lack thereof, giving benefit of the doubt to CHF and others in the decision making process that know WAY more than I do about who the right guys are for the staff.

Edited by AUinMS9528

4 hours ago, zeroforwinger said:

Doesn’t every new coach bring in people he’s worked with? Weird to compare his hires to Saban hiring O’Brien. Saban can hire anyone he wants. Freeze isn’t quite at GOAT status. 

Also, considering every offensive position coach is rumored to have been hired, I’d say it’s very likely he’s selected his OC. 

And Saban has been at Bama for what? 15years? When a new coach goes to a school, he needs to establish authority and a team that he trusts implicitly to not undermine him. It sad, but it's the reality of the situation of any new leadership there is going to be a power struggle. Saban is established and absolutely not ever going to have to worry about an underling trying to backstab him.

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ohhhh. Lashlee 2.0. 🤣

5 hours ago, roe4christ said:

If still in NC hunt, your chooses are:  Todd Monken, Glenn Shumann, Will Muschamp, Jesse Minter, Matt Weiss, Sherrone Moore, Garrett Riley, Joe Gillespie, Jim Knowles, or Kevin Wilson.  Am I missing anyone.

Of that bunch......I would love Garrett Riley or Matt Weiss for OC and Will Muschamp or Jim Knowles for DC.  It's probably that Danny can't decide.

I agree, Riley and Weiss would both be good gets...

I think we're going to end up with Will (Which I personally don't hate if his head is in the right place) but man Knowles would be a solid get.

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

As it should be. We are hiring the dude strongly based around his offense and QB track record. Some folks just go bonkers over “name” guys without thought on why we hired Freeze to begin with. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

15 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Freeze is the one that mentioned all the nationally renowned coaches wanting to work at AU. He set the expectations, not us. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

55 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

Freeze is the one that mentioned all the nationally renowned coaches wanting to work at AU. He set the expectations, not us. 

Check his quote out again. Where did he say nationally renowned coaches? That’s your words. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarEagle1982 said:

One thing that would be massively impressive would be if he gets down there to Saraland and flips that AU legacy WR they have away from Saban.

That kid is a stud.... 💯

8 hours ago, woodford said:

That's the thing I liked about Deion the most. It's a shame if any other coach attempted that their career would be destroyed. It's not a "culture" thing, it's a "can you follow simple rules, have respect, or are you an idiot?" That's the whole point.

You and I know that, millions of others don’t.You and I know that, millions of others don’t.

• Like 1