2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

Auburn football transfer portal tracker: Running list of transfers in and out, real-time thoughts

Justin Hokanson

Photo by Matt Rudolph/Auburn Live

AUBURN — The spring transfer portal window is open from April 15-30. Auburn Live expects a number of current football players to enter into the portal following the completion of spring camp. The Tigers also plan to add another quality haul of transfers coming into the program in the next two weeks.

Bookmark this page as we’ll link relevant stories, provide thoughts and track Auburn’s transfer situation during this spring window.

RELATED

The portal is open: 3 important needs for Auburn football

Who should Auburn pursue? Here’s 5 entires to consider

Spring transfers out

Landen King

Colby Smith

Dylan Brooks

Craig McDonald

Tobechi Okoli

Powell Gordon

Tar’Varish Dawson

Jeffrey M’Ba

Kameron Brown

Desmond Tisdol

Running thoughts on Auburn’s spring transfers out

— Smith didn’t play in two years and will find a new home elsewhere. Smith was competing for playing time at a backup position this spring and clearly got the signal that more playing time would likely be found elsewhere.

— King’s entry into the portal seemed like just a matter of time. Sources do tell Auburn Live that as of just over one week ago, King wasn’t planning on transferring, but he changed his mind within the last week. The former tight end moved to receiver never really found his footing at the position. King entered the portal in the past, but removed his name and remained at Auburn.

— The Brooks news was disappointing only because Brooks was Auburn’s highest rated player in the 2021 class and at the time, a crown jewel of Bryan Harsin’s first full class. However, Brooks never developed to get anywhere close to his potential, and exiting spring, hadn’t made up any more ground on earning more playing time at the edge/jack position. In fact, Auburn’s targeting of jack players in the transfer portal speaks volumes, and certainly impacted Brooks’ decision to transfer.

— Like the Okoli news, the news of McDonald leaving isn’t all that surprising. McDonald has already transferred once, so unless he receives a waiver by the NCAA, he’ll have to sit out one year. But with the prospects of playing at Auburn slim, McDonald decided that was his best option. Auburn needs more depth at safety and cornerback. Two freshmen will arrive this summer.

— The news of Okoli entering the draft, respectfully, is likely of little concern to Auburn’s coaching staff. Okoli played in one game during his freshman season in 2021 and didn’t play in 2022. He committed in August of 2020 and remained a part of Bryan Harsin’s first class in 2021.

— The decision for Gordon to leave the program isn’t a shocker. He was a Bryan Harsin recruit, a local kid, and his addition made sense at the time, both adding a player for depth and adding a local player to make inroads. Gordon told Auburn Live he’s leaving the door open for a return to the program, although that seems unlikely. Gordon hasn’t found his true position yet, bouncing between linebacker and jack, remaining undersized for either position exiting the spring.

— Dawson, like M’Ba, had thought about entering the portal in the past. Following a spring where he wasn’t able to make a push into the starting rotation, Dawson entering the portal wasn’t a shocker. Auburn has Ja’Varrius Johnson and Jay Fair in the slot, both players who Hugh Freeze singled out for consistent spring efforts.

— M’Ba thought about entering the portal after last season, but stayed. He seemed to be happy about how things were going and his position change to defensive end when he spoke to the media during spring camp. Then again, M’Ba is a generally happy person. M’Ba was poised to play significant snaps this fall and provided important depth to the defensive line.

— Tisdol and Brown both announced their departures in the middle of spring camp. Neither contributed much and don’t really impact Auburn’s roster in a meaningful way.

How many transfers might Auburn target this spring?

Auburn is looking at 6-8 spring transfer portal additions, plus or minus some on either side. Of course, this number is fluid based on two things: Auburn actually finding the right fits at the right positions (meaning not taking a player just to take a player), and current players leaving the program matching up with what Hugh Freeze and Co. expect.

Quarterback, safety, cornerback, jack/defensive end/rush end, and a “few” offensive linemen are all positions Freeze has specifically mentioned as positions of need during the spring window.

Spring transfers in

Players and links will be provided as Auburn adds players in the spring transfer window.

Running thoughts on Auburn’s spring transfers in

Thoughts will be provided as Auburn adds players in the spring transfer window.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Zeek I couldn’t message you so I started this thread. There may be something already but I didn’t see it. I think a separate thread would be helpful. Remove if you don’t think so.

Does the portal open at midnight?

7 hours ago, toddc said:

I think we might have a shot at this kid. Who knows though? 

Believe he lost his starting spot or was at risk, but we literally have no one.

Money should be thrown at him. He's from Phoenix City, I believe 

• Like 1

Also forgot the drama. He was committed. Was going to flip on NSD, so Gus dropped him and released a statement so he couldn't "flip".

Believe there has been some twitter s*** talking during the time too

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yes there was.  Spoke very poorly of Auburn too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Also forgot the drama. He was committed. Was going to flip on NSD, so Gus dropped him and released a statement so he couldn't "flip".

32 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Yes there was.  Spoke very poorly of Auburn too.

Water under the bridge or too much to overcome?

Wasn’t he the one that came to our practice in Birmingham and made a video mocking us in the parking lot? 

I do remember having a lot of negative things to say about AU. I know we need linemen but no thanks. He tried to make a fool of us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Wasn’t he the one that came to our practice in Birmingham and made a video mocking us in the parking lot? 

Yes

37 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I wouldn't want him but I could see why we would still offer him.

5 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I do remember having a lot of negative things to say about AU. I know we need linemen but no thanks. He tried to make a fool of us. 

Yep, doing that stupid karate kid move.  

Cohen can kick rocks as far as I am concerned. He had an opportunity but decided to make a mockery of it on the way out the door. There are other options 

Edited by e808
  • Like 4

EJ Williams from Clemson is very intriguing WR option.  I know we were in on him the full ride but lost him to Clemson late.  Did not pay attention to his stats at Clemson, but he seemed talented in HS.

59 minutes ago, e808 said:

Cohen can kick rocks as far as I am concern . He had an opportunity but decided to make a mockery of it on the way out the door. There are other options 

What happened to the AU redemption, forgiveness, second chance tour?

• Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Do we start reeling them in on Portal Day like you do signing day?

When does this start?

I'm ready!

The bidding wars are just beginning.  I don't think the big battles will play out so quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Hope not, who cares. We need help

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

EJ Williams from Clemson is very intriguing WR option.  I know we were in on him the full ride but lost him to Clemson late.  Did not pay attention to his stats at Clemson, but he seemed talented in HS.

Apparently RaRa Thomas from State will be visiting this weekend.  

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hope not, who cares. We need help

The players certainly don’t…..tons of AU players are tweeting at him.  Also saw where Alston is tweeting that grad transfer lineman from Oklahoma that just went into the portal. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Do we start reeling them in on Portal Day like you do signing day?

When does this start?

I'm ready!

It all starts today. 

You have some that have predetermined destinations, you will see them go in and out quick…..those moves obviously were worked behind the scenes.   Then you have the ones who will actually take visits.  They can sign at anytime. 

• Like 1