2023 Portal Discussion Thread

toddc

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

IDK if he's interested in us, but another name to add to the wish list to fill in the completely empty DE depth chart

This would be a huge get 

On 12/12/2022 at 10:36 PM, TeamZero77 said:

Austin Davis, Seahawks QB coach. Hired here at Auburn and resigned in about 1 months time. Definitely a strange situation. I remember people were somehow linking him to Caleb through Russell Wilson and another coach. 

Kinda like when Chizik hired Scott Loeffler from Temple and alot of our fans were ecstatic because Loeffler had once worked with Tom Brady. It turned out to be one of the worst coordinator hires in Auburn history.

What happened there is his supposed “dentist” went on Reddit or somewhere and posted that Caleb had told him he was going to Auburn 😂.  I think the Austin Davis stuff just fueled it even more.  

18 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

What happened there is his supposed “dentist” went on Reddit or somewhere and posted that Caleb had told him he was going to Auburn 😂.  I think the Austin Davis stuff just fueled it even more.  

This "dentist" was allegedly big into crypto, and thus the inspiration for my username. 😎

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Walker back in the fold. 

I seem to remember someone posting he was not built well for AU’s last defense. Does anyone know enough about what we will run now, and if it fits his skill set?

2 hours ago, gman87 said:

https://coachtube.com/course/football/utilizing-a-multiple-defense/16617402

I read in a thread somewhere he bends his schemes to account for individual player

strengths.

That's good to hear, it was hard to watch Ellis Johnson's defensive schemes that required skill sets his player pool didn't possess.

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 8:16 AM, gman87 said:

https://coachtube.com/course/football/utilizing-a-multiple-defense/16617402

I read in a thread somewhere he bends his schemes to account for individual player

strengths.

What a novel concept! Not sure why others are unwilling/unable to do this 

D@#$! Sucks. Don't blame him after this past crap season and previous coaching staff. As good as the last few days have been, losing him, and missing out on Leary and McCall aren't great. Hopefully we'll get that OM commit to come our way today, maybe some other good news/surprises as well. 

In the last few days we have had a lot more good news then bad news.  We have moved into 26th on 247 from 50 something and we seem to be looking solid for 3-5 Portal type O-line.  We have also passed 4 SEC teams after being dead last in the sec for what seems like eons. So we didn't get either of the Portal QB's we wanted it is not the end of the world. 

We are so much better off now then when He who shall not be named was let go was shown the door it is not funny.  It is time for some people to have realistic expectations and not think this could be a one year re-build and we would be competing with Georgia and Alabama. 

Right now we have some solid young O-line counting the ones coming in the 2023 class which bodes well for the future and we look solid for some Portal O-Line which could give us the best O-line we have seen in recent years. We have 2 solid RB's returning we lose our best TE but have a Portal TE with more potential and our WR's should be better this year. RA is returning at QB who just because of a years experience will be better plus Geriner so we are at least as good at QB as this year with what should be a better O-Line.

We have lost our best 2 D-Line wooden and Hall but have some solid players returning plus still working the Portal where we just picked up the Vandy player plus some freshmen coming in on D-Line. Mba was starting to look good before he was hurt so will be back and maybe James even though he is thinking about NFL.  With what we have picked up plus returning players DB should be a strength.  LB we need at least a couple from Portal and another Edge would be nice.  Plus we look solid for a Portal WR.

I am not predicting a stellar team next year but we will be better than this years team and we are starting to fill the holes we were left with.  Early NSDwill be ok on HS front but won't be a dream group but with a few HS late NSD types plus Portal and JUCO we should be decent by the time portal transfers are done after spring.

It is time some of the fanbase except reality that Freeze is doing a great job given where we were when he arrived but we will not be able to have the type team Auburn deservers in one year even with the portal.

• Like 4

Drake Maye story going around. There's so much bullsh*t flying around out there, including the last two years at Auburn, it's hard to even read up and worry about it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It is time for some people to have realistic expectations and not think this could be a one year re-build and we would be competing with Georgia and Alabama.

No, but if we don't pull in those OL and if we don't find a QB who can bridge a gap we have under center and a laundry list of other needs, it may be another year next year similar to this. And then what is the storyline around Auburn? When we hired Hugh Freeze we necessitated speeding up that timeline a bit. He is not a guy who is going to command a wealth of patience from prospective recruits in this free-for-all environment or, ultimately, the fans. He's brought in some depth pieces, but I hope he can fill some primary needs soon. 

9 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Drake Maye story going around. There's so much bullsh*t flying around out there, including the last two years at Auburn, it's hard to even read up and worry about it.

You mean this?  Guarantee Bama was one of them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

No, but if we don't pull in those OL and if we don't find a QB who can bridge a gap we have under center and a laundry list of other needs, it may be another year next year similar to this. And then what is the storyline around Auburn? When we hired Hugh Freeze we necessitated speeding up that timeline a bit. He is not a guy who is going to command a wealth of patience from prospective recruits in this free-for-all environment or, ultimately, the fans. He's brought in some depth pieces, but I hope he can fill some primary needs soon. 

I agree if the Portal O-Line that are leaning towards us go somewhere else then my positivity goes out the door.  Unlike the NSD where majority of HS players send in their commitment letters with Portal we may not know about a lot of them for next few weeks.  The fact that many of the quote unquote recruiting experts think we are ahead for certain portal O-Linemen is what gives me some hope on the O-line. Plus Wright came on at end of year as did Stutts and I still have hope for Jones on the O-Line.  With Smith, Jernigan, Johnson and Harris as question marks as to their progress.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree if the Portal O-Line that are leaning towards us go somewhere else then my positivity goes out the door.  Unlike the NSD where majority of HS players send in their commitment letters with Portal we may not know about a lot of them for next few weeks.  The fact that many of the quote unquote recruiting experts think we are ahead for certain portal O-Linemen is what gives me some hope on the O-line. Plus Wright came on at end of year as did Stutts and I still have hope for Jones on the O-Line.  With Smith, Jernigan, Johnson and Harris as question marks as to their progress.

Is Jones the one just left for FSU?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Bama and _________? 

Miami?  Texas A&M?  

We may as well add UGAly to the mix as well...this ought to be a new NCAA penalty to contact players on another roster prior to entering the portal. 

Edited by AUINSY

9 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

We may as well add UGAly to the mix as well...this ought to be a new NCAA penalty to contact players on another roster prior to entering the portal. 

I guess Maye told him that himself when he called!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

You mean this?  Guarantee Bama was one of them. 

Hope we were the other

• Haha 1