Tom Luginbill links transfer quarterback to Auburn

aubiefifty

ESPN analyst Tom Luginbill links transfer quarterback to Auburn

Taylor Jones
3–4 minutes

d69cfbaead15bdf89bcc0d4271cc00d0

Newly named head football coach Hugh Freeze has hit the recruiting trail hard since being named head coach on Nov. 28.

Freeze said in his introductory press conference that he feels that he can get Auburn to a respectable level of competition fairly quickly thanks to the emergence of NIL and the transfer portal.

“Ten years ago, you didn’t have (NIL and the transfer portal), and so the turnaround is a little different. Kids couldn’t just leave a school and come to Auburn. They can now,” Freeze said. “I do think we’ve got to be careful to get the right kids that fit our culture, but at the same time, it’s much easier to add to your roster now than it was when I took over at Ole Miss and they hadn’t won an SEC game in two years.”

One area that needs a boost is the quarterback position. Robby Ashford improved over the final four games of the season, especially in his run game. He is still a prime candidate to remain QB1 heading into 2023, but the position as a whole needs depth.

Zach Calzada has already entered the portal, and the status of T.J. Finley is unknown for next season. If Finley leaves, Auburn will have three scholarship quarterbacks on its roster, including Holden Geriner and 2023 commit Keyone Jenkins in addition to Ashford.

It would not hurt to have an experienced quarterback on the roster, whether it be to provide a “shot in the arm” or for leadership purposes. Out of all the current quarterbacks occupying the transfer portal, there is one that is viewed as a perfect match for Freeze and Auburn.

ESPN College Football analyst Tom Luginbill joined The Next Round on Wednesday to discuss Auburn’s options in the transfer portal. He says that Auburn should pursue Oklahoma State transfer Spencer Sanders as a transfer for a myriad of reasons, including from a momentum standpoint.

“When you marry Spencer Sanders and that skillset, and what we saw in the past from Hugh Freeze’s iterations with what we saw from Malik Willis, and even though it’s a one-and-done-type scenario, what if it helps you get off the mat, right,” Luginbill said on the show based out of Birmingham. “What if it helps you accelerate the improvement of the program, (and) generate momentum with the program? I like that marriage of the offensive identity and the skillset and a guy that’s played a lot of football, been highly successful.”

Sanders is seen as a prolific passer. In four seasons at Oklahoma State, Sanders threw for 9,953 yards and 67 touchdowns. This season, he passed for 2,642 yards and 17 touchdowns. If Freeze is looking for a one-year option to better develop his quarterback rook, Sanders may be a viable option.

List

Transfer Portal Tracker: Live updates of Auburn Tigers in the portal

26c1b200aa2c2630982769ddc70f3333

Story originally appeared on Auburn Wire

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am very familiar with Spencer Sander, as my daughter currently goes to OSU.  I have watched every one of their games the past two season.  Sanders is dynamic.  He already has all the tools to have a great final season.  He is great at running with the ball and he has a great touch on his passes.  He has tried to fit the ball into space a few times which resulted in tipped balls and interceptions.  I believe he had more turnovers during his first two years.  As he has matured, he has made better decisions with the ball and throws it away if a play looks like it is going to result in negative yards.  He is truly a dual threat.  When he tucks it and runs, he can pick up a lot of yards.  I would take him in a heartbeat with Freeze running the offense.  If Freeze is interested in a really good QB as a 1 year fill in, this is the guy that I would get.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, woodford said:

Wouldn’t be a bad idea. Would he be worth that much money though? Auburn will have to invest in building out the roster, not replacing a QB. 

Great point. I think when we look across the landscape with other teams, we see guys like Stetson Bennett IV and Greg McElroy, who were great college QBs, but seemingly b/c they have great offensive lines/protection, and great teammates. UGA had a guy like Justin Fields on their team but didn't play him, and won pretty solidly with a lesser QB starting. Building the foundation seems to be the recipe for success, rather than having a flashy star QB. Of course both would be great, but if a priority has to be set it seems like the foundation of the o-line that provides time and protection for the QB to do his job.

• Like 1

I think our starting QB next year will come from the portal.  I don't think Robby Ashford's ceiling is much higher than he has shown.  Just my opinion.