New DC - Ron Roberts

TitanTiger

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Attacking style defense too. None of this bend but don’t break s***. 

If this were last year I think everyone would be very very happy. Wish we had gotten CK JUST because he likely would've pulled in Russaw and Smith.

Edited by AUwent

Baylor HC Dave Aranda was a tier 1 DC. He was DC for LSU in 2019 when they finished 15-0. 

If Dave Aranda thought enough of Ron Roberts to name him DC of his team, that's enough for me.

Roberts also has head coaching experience at Delta State and Southeastern Louisiana.

Welcome Coach Roberts!!!! WDE

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Attacking style defense too. None of this bend but don’t break s***. 

Good point. Of course we all know the Big 12 does not play defense. Hope he is successful here. That would be my same argument for an OC from the Big 12. It’s laid out and here’s Hugh’ s chance to prove his mettle.

59 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If this were last year I think everyone would be very very happy. Wish we had gotten CK JUST because he likely would've pulled in Russaw and Smith.

Yeah - after losing our DC to a pay cut and to OkSU last year, we'd have been thrilled with this hire as opposed to Coach Schmedding.

I am more impressed with his resume than Arnett.  Can he recruit?  We'll see, but I've been concerned with the DC play-calling.  He checks the boxes for me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So he was a great DC until he decided to give away all his secrets this summer?

Pat Dye often said it was the Jimmys and the Joes, not the X's and O's.

Just now, TigerVII said:

Pat Dye often said it was the Jimmys and the Joes, not the X's and O's.

to be great in  today's college football atmosphere,  you need both JImmy's and Joes,  X's and O's,  the media on your side  and some added luck.     If you are light in any of those areas  you will not make it to the top.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

to be great in  today's college football atmosphere,  you need both JImmy's and Joes,  X's and O's,  the media on your side  and some added luck.     If you are light in any of those areas  you will not make it to the top.

I agree with your post, but the media will never be on AU's side (remember 2010 when everyone and their brother attempted to distract and defeat our team).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

His defense in 2021 helped them win the Big 12 Title. They held every opponent under 30 points for the year. His defense stopped Kiffin and Ole Miss to win The Sugar Bowl. Lincoln Riley and his Oklahoma offense didn't score a touchdown against his defense. That was the 1st time in 65 games and since 2014 that Oklahoma hasn't had an offensive TD. I also believe all that was in his 1st, maybe 2nd year as Baylor's DC.

But yeah, I guess you can spin things any way you want them. For some Auburn fans we are thrilled to just be out of the fog that this program has been in the last few years. On a day when we announced our coordinators and we have kids flipping to commit here, some like yourself like to find the negative in everything. I guess it does take all kinds. WDE to you anyway.

You must be riding spinnaz

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

Baylor HC Dave Aranda was a tier 1 DC. He was DC for LSU in 2019 when they finished 15-0. 

If Dave Aranda thought enough of Ron Roberts to name him DC of his team, that's enough for me.

Roberts also has head coaching experience at Delta State and Southeastern Louisiana.

Welcome Coach Roberts!!!! WDE

Yes, very solid hire!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Fired from Baylor? Jeez. Let’s try to spin it.

There's no way to inject pure positivity into hiring 2 coordinators who have both been recently fired from their previous jobs, but like @TeamZero77said, it's an upgrade over what we've seen the past 2 seasons. There's some unknown with Roberts, but he's a clear upgrade over over Mason and Schmedding.

• Like 1