2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

30 minutes ago, woodford said:

Well that’s unfortunate. Any other transfer QB’s we’re targeting?

If we want any more skill position guys we need to find a QB quickly.

Not sure why we aren't going after the Oklahoma State kid.  After him there's a lot of meh out there

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If we want any more skill position guys we need to find a QB quickly.

Not sure why we aren't going after the Oklahoma State kid.  After him there's a lot of meh out there

Would not be upset one bit if we just continue to build in the trenches. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Agree. If we had a fairly dominate OL it would definitely ease the pressure on QB1. 

5 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

I mean, we need to do both.  We aren't limited to just one area

2 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Ok well here's our answer I guess. Now lets get to work.

He's a True Freshman.  He's not our answer.

I'll bet he never plays a down here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, we need to do both.  We aren't limited to just one area

Which is why I said trenches!!  

All skill players are dependent on the lines. Unfortunately we have glaring needs on both sides of them. Heck I just read that we only have one guy coming back as an edge rusher. 😳 One edge rusher coming back. 😳 😮 Yes I said it twice. Because I had to go back and read it twice, and I still don’t comprehend how that can be!!!  

Basically, what I’m getting at and certainly understand if you don’t want to agree with me. This roster is a long-long way from being at a point when we have the luxury of getting into a bidding war for a skill position guy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Which is why I said trenches!!  

All skill players are dependent on the lines. Unfortunately we have glaring needs on both sides of them. Heck I just read that we only have one guy coming back as an edge rusher. 😳 One edge rusher coming back. 😳 😮 Yes I said it twice. Because I had to go back and read it twice, and I still don’t comprehend how that can be!!!  

Basically, what I’m getting at and certainly understand if you don’t want to agree with me. This roster is a long-long way from being at a point when we have the luxury of getting into a bidding war for a skill position guy. 

Absolutely agree with this . It all starts upfront. It would be great to get a portal QB but it’s not an end all be all. I still believe Robby or Holden will be more than serviceable behind a good oline. No matter who is back there u going to need time to operate.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

He's a True Freshman.  He's not our answer.

I'll bet he never plays a down here

Absolutely no reason to think he will ever play a down.   Haven't we all been coached for 4 years by a former NFL QB who also offered the young man as soon as he got his first college HC job.   Haven't we all thrown for over 3,000 yards in a year where we went 13-0 and won state all while throwing 47 TDs against just 3 picks.   This kid is a loser.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 5

We can heavily recruit OL, DL, Skill players, and QBs at the same time. 

It's not an "i'd rather just do x vs y".  Just do both, we need all

Just now, LPTiger said:

Absolutely no reason to think he will ever play a down.   Haven't we all been coached for 4 years by a former NFL QB who also offered the young man as soon as he got his first college HC job.   Haven't we all thrown for over 3,000 yards in a year where we went 13-0 and won state all while throwing 47 TDs against just 3 picks.   This kid is a loser.

No one said he's a loser, but we have a better QB on both sides of him in HS classes and will probably recruit better HS kids in the future.

There is only 1 QB position.  Only 1 playing time slot.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No one said he's a loser, but we have a better QB on both sides of him in HS classes and will probably recruit better HS kids in the future.

There is only 1 QB position.  Only 1 playing time slot.

We had 3 take snaps this year.   QB is as much about what is between the ears as it is "arm talent" or other physical attributes.    We have no way to know if HG or Air Noland are better QBs at this point.   Time will tell ,but this young man has been coached up and his stats are impressive. 

• Like 1

To me the ideal situation would be for Robby or Holden to win the job. That way u have a QB for multiple seasons. Seems the McCall situation was out of CHF control. If the school doesn’t have his major what can u do. Leary was a long shot.

8 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

We had 3 take snaps this year.   QB is as much about what is between the ears as it is "arm talent" or other physical attributes.    We have no way to know if HG or Air Noland are better QBs at this point.   Time will tell ,but this young man has been coached up and his stats are impressive. 

Air Noland isn't the committed QB for '24.

10 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

his stats are impressive. 

They our recruit and outclass everyone they play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GAAubie said:

I believe in Holden Geriner! I believe he is our diamond that hasn't been shown much, but will shine when given a chance. I'm excited to watch him progress under CHF!

I am hoping the same!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, e808 said:

Absolutely agree with this . It all starts upfront. It would be great to get a portal QB but it’s not an end all be all. I still believe Robby or Holden will be more than serviceable behind a good oline. No matter who is back there u going to need time to operate.

Thanks!!  Heck Robby was serviceable this past year. That was no small feat.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

It always amazes me that the "savior" QB is always some guy in the portal and never anyone on the current roster that just needs some development.

If you can get a McCall or a Leary you take them because of their body of work, but missing on both doesn't mean we don't have a competent QB on the roster.

I think the problem is Auburn fans haven’t seen a QB develop in two decades (maybe ever). I get the hesitation but it doesn’t have to be a one and done Cam Newton type. Robby has talent. Can he improve this year with a new system and more time at QB1? Possibly. Just because Holden didn’t start as a True Freshman doesn’t mean he is trash. Who knows what he can do. Hank Brown’s stats and tape are impressive I could not care less about the stars when we need a body. A bridge QB would be nice but we are rebuilding. Players develop over time. I agree with you. Just because we don’t get a “savior” from the portal doesn’t mean we are stuck with trash QBs.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Thanks!!  Heck Robby was serviceable this past year. That was no small feat.  

This was while running for his life a lot.  He made some great throws but also missed throws that should have been easy.  He and Bo Nix seemed to have trouble with to much zip on the ball to rb's that were close to them. Bo corrected that at Oregon maybe some of that was coaching. We have 2 young QB's that could be solid in HG and RA lets see what new staff can do with them before we panic about the portal.  Plus new QB's could show up in Portal.

As for the new QB that just committed he was coached by Dilfer so I would bet he has sound fundamentals and knows the game so would not be surprised if he is really good down the road.

• Like 3

Ok. On one hand, it's great that we've gone up 20 spots in the last few days. Getting Sly Smith back was great. We can absolutely finish strong, and I am feeling somewhat better about our recruiting. I am not asking for a top 10 finish for this year, just a top 20 one.

HOWEVER...

Judging by the fact that we went after McCall and Leary, it is readily apparent the staff is not satisfied with the QBs on our roster. I'm sorry, but a 3* who was committed to Liberty is not going to cut it. Please stop with this "stars don't matter" line.

Both sentiments can be true, and are true.

• Dislike 1