2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Ok. On one hand, it's great that we've gone up 20 spots in the last few days. Getting Sly Smith back was great. We can absolutely finish strong, and I am feeling somewhat better about our recruiting. I am not asking for a top 10 finish for this year, just a top 20 one.

HOWEVER...

Judging by the fact that we went after McCall and Leary, it is readily apparent the staff is not satisfied with the QBs on our roster. I'm sorry, but a 3* who was committed to Liberty is not going to cut it. Please stop with this "stars don't matter" line.

Both sentiments can be true, and are true.

Well I believe McCall started as a 2 star out of HS. Sometimes they just work out. I feel quite sure Freeze has an updated plan.

• Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Well I believe McCall started as a 2 star out of HS. Sometimes they just work out. I feel quite sure Freeze has an updated plan.

Same people wanting to toss Auburn academics in the trash can to get McCall would have melted like a popsicle had we signed him out of high school. 😂

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

@Hank2020 and @AEAugirl and @JuscAUse!:

Yeah. And he has proved himself. He was not a proven commodity in HS, and therefore it would've been perfectly rational to have been against signing him at the time. Sorry, but the recruiting services are right much more often than they are wrong. We cannot be doing this cope routine a year from now--the times I've most heard "stars don't matter!" was in spring/summer 2008 and Harsin's tenure pre-PSU '22.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

@Hank2020 and @AEAugirl:

Yeah. And he has proved himself. He was not a proven commodity in HS, and therefore it would've been perfectly rational to have been against signing him at the time. Sorry, but the recruiting services are right much more often than they are wrong. We cannot be doing this cope routine a year from now.

Neither was Roger McCreary but guess we should have let South Alabama keep him since recruiting services said he was a lowly 3*.  

Many times coaches see things the recruiting services don’t see. 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Neither was Roger McCreary but guess we should have let South Alabama keep him since recruiting services said he was a lowly 3*.  

Many times coaches see things the recruiting services don’t see. 

You can definitely find examples, and sometimes you're right about coaches having an eye for talent. After the Harsin era, though, I'm all too skeptical of those claims. Fact is, starting next year we are going to need to finish at minimum top 15 ovrl. on a perennial basis.

Edited by AUwent

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah. And he has proved himself. He was not a proven commodity in HS, and therefore it would've been perfectly rational to have been against signing him at the time. Sorry, but the recruiting services are right much more often than they are wrong. We cannot be doing this cope routine a year from now--the times I've most heard "stars don't matter!" was in spring/summer 2008 and Harsin's tenure pre-PSU '22.

I guess we just get all our players out of the portal then bc none have proven themselves out if HS. I understand your logic, but sometimes players just like where they like. They get to choose to go wherever they want to go. Thats why they call them offers. We will play the ones we have at kickoff and see where we land.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You can definitely find examples, and sometimes you're right about coaches having an eye for talent. After the Harsin era, though, I'm all too skeptical of those claims. Fact is, we are going to need stars.

We are ALL skeptical after Harsin, but I don’t think regarding Freeze and the Brown kid we should be.  Freeze has shown he has a great eye for QB talent.   

I don’t think this is the same as Harsin taking these under the radar kids because no one else was interested.  Freeze has been recruiting this kid for a while now and he obviously sees something he really likes with him. 

Also do not think this affects anything in regards to bringing in a portal QB. 

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I guess we just get all our players out of the portal then bc none have proven themselves out if HS. I understand your logic, but sometimes players just like where they like. They get to choose to go wherever they want to go. Thats why they call them offers. We will play the ones we have at kickoff and see where we land.

Yeah, which is why you need ace recruiters. 

7 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

We are ALL skeptical after Harsin, but I don’t think regarding Freeze and the Brown kid we should be.  Freeze has shown he has a great eye for QB talent.   

I don’t think this is the same as Harsin taking these under the radar kids because no one else was interested.  Freeze has been recruiting this kid for a while now and he obviously sees something he really likes with him. 

I totally get that. You're right that Freeze has a good track record like that, and obviously this class is not going to be full of blue chippers. Next year, however, we cannot be loading up on 3*s while our rivals gobble up the 5*s.

Edited by AUwent

12 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'm sorry, but a 3* who was committed to Liberty is not going to cut it. Please stop with this "stars don't matter" line.

Of course stars matter.   It is more likely for a 5* to come in and have a great career than a 3*.   
However, A.  We all know there are plenty of 5* busts and 3* who become superstars.   B.  There are plenty of reasons why someone might be a 3*, such as coming from a small school and not getting much exposure.  Or being a little thin or undersized. (things that can be addressed in a college S&C program.  
C.  QB is one of the hardest positions to grade effectively.  There are several cases of Jeremy Johnsons who have all the physical tools, but are never able to put it together, as well as Stetson Bennetts who don’t get graded high but wind up being very successful in college.  
He very well may be a scholarship clipboard holder.   Or he may be our starter for 2 years and do very well.   We just don’t know yet.
My point is Freeze obviously likes him, Dilfer (a good QB evaluator) likes him.  And he wants to come be an Auburn Tiger, so let’s not write him off just yet.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

University of Auburn again! 

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

How many more can we from each (HS/JUCO, TP)?

Someone said as long as we stay under 85 schollys. That probably doesn’t answer your question though. I think I remember someone saying 40-45.

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

How many more can we from each (HS/JUCO, TP)?

Have barely made a dent.  We have 16 H.S./JUCO commits now, and we have 2 or 3 transfers. I think overall we're looking at 40-45 new faces....?  We're not even halfway there.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

And I never once mentioned stars don't matter. What I was attempting to imply is that whatever star you are in HS has nothing to do with your potential if - and let me say again IF - you have said potential. So if you sign a 3 star QB, who has no chance of starting but you see talent that can be developed in the future , you sign him. Then you get a portal QB ( and the portal timeline does NOT end tomorrow ) cause we can't get the portal QB who wanted to come here because of academics , well you go to the next best available portal QB you can get. Which we will attempt to do. And he may have been a 2 star or 3 star out of HS. But you don't stop recruiting HS players. And I have a wife who puts words in my mouth so I don't need your help!   😆

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No one said he's a loser, but we have a better QB on both sides of him in HS classes and will probably recruit better HS kids in the future.

There is only 1 QB position.  Only 1 playing time slot.

How much faith are you putting in the 2024 kid from Miami who has now attended six (6) different high schools in the last three years? Me, I'm not counting on much there. Something's wrong with that picture.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

How much faith are you putting in the 2024 kid from Miami who has now attended six (6) different high schools in the last three years? Me, I'm not counting on much there. Something's wrong with that picture.

Yeah I think we drop him. Just my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Yeah I think we drop him. Just my opinion. 

It's not just six schools. They range from the northeast to the southwest corners of the county, with a couple of stops in the middle of downtown in between. Some of those schools are well over an hour's drive apart. Some are private schools, some public. There's something very unusual going on.