2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

6 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Amazing how now Gus decides to start recruiting Oline 🙄

He only recruited him because Alabama had signed him so he must be kinda good in Gus’ eyes.   Gus wouldn’t know what a talented Olineman looked like if it was on the cover Vogue.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dillon Wade to the Good Guys!

(edit - whoops! double posted this in two threads! Eh, whatever, it's REALLY good news!)

Edited by Auctoritas
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AEAugirl said:

Amazing how now Gus decides to start recruiting Oline 🙄

Maybe it's harder to recruit tight ends to UCF?

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Gus wouldn’t know what a talented Olineman looked like if it was on the cover Vogue.  

Don't say that, he signed Calvin Ashley 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't mind picking up these two that just entered the transfer portal in the past couple days.

Michael Tarquin, Florida, Offensive Tackle (247sports.com)

L'Christian Smith, Cincinnati, Wide Receiver (247sports.com)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roe4christ said:

I wouldn't mind picking up these two that just entered the transfer portal in the past couple days.

UF has an All SEC guard that just entered too. Take me both, IYAM.

11 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Good call!!!  OT described as “nasty” and a 6’6” WR!!!!   Add the other UF OL Ethan White to that list and I think we’re actually good at WR and OL.   
Time to focus on QB and LB!

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, bigbird said:

Don't say that, he signed Calvin Ashley 

Who was a much more highly rated recruit than anybody your boy Harsin signed in his disastrous stay at Auburn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Harsin continued the downward trend of not recruiting quality, talented and just bodies in general.   Signing Ashley proves a several things:  1) Evaluation was lacking.  2) Recruiting rankings are not an exact science 3) player development was fundamentally bad. 4) if a player is not willing to put in effort to get better, it doesn’t matter what your rankings are 

In Ashley's case, everybody's evaluation from Ohio State to Texas and other schools across the nation were also lacking in evaluation.

Ashley's failure cannot be blamed on any coaching staff's player development, he failed everywhere he went.

Lack of effort will wash anybody out, that's been a given since the days of leather helmets. Best guess is that Ashley didn't put in the effort.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Harsin continued the downward trend of not recruiting quality, talented and just bodies in general.   Signing Ashley proves a several things:  1) Evaluation was lacking.  2) Recruiting rankings are not an exact science 3) player development was fundamentally bad. 4) if a player is not willing to put in effort to get better, it doesn’t matter what your rankings are 

Greg McElroy agrees with you. He said on JOX (paraphrasing) that the problem with some 5 stars is that their abilities peaked in HS , and they still have to be evaluated as carefully as any lower ranked players. Someone on an XM radio show stated that most fans would be shocked to see 3-4 stars ranked higher on major college football boards than their personal choice 5 star players. Continued that when coaches like Saban, Kirby, or Dabo sign 3 stars along with all the 5 and high 4 stars, you should really pay attention to the 3 stars and where they are with a year or two in the program. The better the evaluation the better the program. I think Saban has a success rate with elite player retention at 54% if irc.

To be clear, I don't think they were talking about AU on either of these shows, as we couldn't recruit 3 stars in some positions the last 4-5 years.

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Who was a much more highly rated recruit than anybody your boy Harsin signed in his disastrous stay at Auburn.

Failing to recognize that your boy was horrendous managing the roster, specifically OL and LB, is just amazing. 

Glass houses 

For giggles, I just read Calvin's draft profile.  It mentions "below average hip bend" and "body control below average."  It also mentions that he has good size and strength.   So, big fairly athletic body but he is stiff and lacks control of it.   I wonder if he could have benefited from some somewhat out of the box training like karate, yoga, ballet, etc.   

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

Greg McElroy agrees with you. He said on JOX (paraphrasing) that the problem with some 5 stars is that their abilities peaked in HS , and they still have to be evaluated as carefully as any lower ranked players. Someone on an XM radio show stated that most fans would be shocked to see 3-4 stars ranked higher on major college football boards than their personal choice 5 star players. Continued that when coaches like Saban, Kirby, or Dabo sign 3 stars along with all the 5 and high 4 stars, you should really pay attention to the 3 stars and where they are with a year or two in the program. The better the evaluation the better the program. I think Saban has a success rate with elite player retention at 54% if irc.

To be clear, I don't think they were talking about AU on either of these shows, as we couldn't recruit 3 stars in some positions the last 4-5 years.

That's a very, very good point that should give us star gazers a pause

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

For giggles, I just read Calvin's draft profile.  It mentions "below average hip bend" and "body control below average."  It also mentions that he has good size and strength.   So, big fairly athletic body but he is stiff and lacks control of it.   I wonder if he could have benefited from some somewhat out of the box training like karate, yoga, ballet, etc.   

It's funny you just posted that. 

I can remember the first time I saw Ashley run on to the field I thought that guy had to be overrated. He ran so stiff that it got my attention immediately. I can remember thinking I hope he actually has a different gait, and is just loafing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's hilarious how out of the way you go to defend Gus. Pathetic, but funny.

Since ~2017-18 we haven't recruited the OL and you still act like it was the last two years that put us here.  Delusional and stubborn is a bad combination. Well, not bad if your trying to perpetuate the clown schtick.

Psst...Gus got fired because he failed to produce more than mediocrity on the field and couldn't address or maintain a competitive roster. Deal with it.

And just a little FYI...Harsin is no longer our coach. No one supports him, just like we all said we would if he proved himself lacking. He did and no one does 

Gus is no longer our coach and unlike what you swore to all of us, you can't stop defending the man that was a mediocre coach that got fired for being bad at his job.

You should try and let Harsin go. He was a failure at AU but he seems to be occupying a lot of mental space for you. He may have continued the path, but it was blazed and paved by Gus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Or not being coached by JB

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Or not being coached by JB

Remember how nimble you were when you were just a little chick.   Then you grew and grew and grew....

• Haha 2

This thread about 2023 recruiting has morphed into a discussion about 3 people no longer here: Gus, Harsin, and Calvin Ashley. 😅

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

This thread about 2023 recruiting has morphed into a discussion about 3 people no longer here: Gus, Harsin, and Calvin Ashley. 😅

You’re righter than a “right turn only” sign. Anyone got a guess as to the next player we sign? Maybe an individual, or even the next position. I’m thinking either RB Johnson from MS ST or a WR. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

AGREED! Please can we get back on topic here guys.... Maybe make a topic in the Football Section called Past Auburn Failures??

• Like 1