2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@autan Haven't seen any QBs mentioned for visiting this weekend. A lot of fans aren't going to like it but we may have to wait til the May transfer window before we get our QB. A few teams have more than 1 quality QB & guys losing those battles after Spring very well may look to transfer.

Why are we not in the hunt for any of these QBs? I'm trying to be optimistic, but I don't know how to feel at this point. We need a strong finish here, and things have been much too quiet the last couple weeks!

Edited by AUwent

Yeah. I'm not thrilled that we're likely not going to get our QB from this window. At the same time, I'm glad we're not wasting a schollie and good NIL money to just get someone to fill the slot who is not the right fit, and would not help us make the big turnaround we're all hoping for. Patience is not a strong point for AU fans or any fans I guess. Appreciate your insight E. I guess the ones CHF would like to have just don't like him or Auburn.

• Like 1

Yeah, I suspect offense is going to be pretty basic. I hope to be proven wrong, but I just don't see Ashford as anything other than an option qb and Geriner is a big question mark. This first season will certainly be a test of Freeze's playcalling, for sure. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, autan said:

Yeah. I'm not thrilled that we're likely not going to get our QB from this window. At the same time, I'm glad we're not wasting a schollie and good NIL money to just get someone to fill the slot who is not the right fit, and would not help us make the big turnaround we're all hoping for. Patience is not a strong point for AU fans or any fans I guess. Appreciate your insight E. I guess the ones CHF would like to have just don't like him or Auburn.

We're going to take a QB.  Keith N is saying we're looking between the UVA kid and Okie State kid

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

We're going to take a QB.  Keith N is saying we're looking between the UVA kid and Okie State kid

I’ve seen On3 is projecting Sanders to Ole Miss and Armstrong is expected to go to NC St.  Hope Both are wrong and we get to pick between them.

@ellitor is right.  Folks may not like it, but it is a good possibility.  
If you get Your Guy(McCall, Leary) in Dec/Jan that’s great!!!  But several teams have 2 or more excellent QBs who will be battling to be the starter this Spring. (looking at LSU, uga, and probably a few others)  The odd man out in those races could be a really good starter for us.  So I’d rather wait til May than settle for just a decent QB.  Obviously the risk is if you strike out in May, you don’t get a portal QB.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AUinMS9528 said:

If you get Your Guy(McCall, Leary) in Dec/Jan that’s great!!!  But several teams have 2 or more excellent QBs who will be battling to be the starter this Spring. (looking at LSU, uga, and probably a few others)  The odd man out in those races could be a really good starter for us.  So I’d rather wait til May than settle for just a decent QB.  Obviously the risk is if you strike out in May, you don’t get a portal QB.  

That’s gonna be the new reality with the portal. Folks just need to let the process play out and not their panties in a wad. 

23 minutes ago, dilligas said:

I’ve seen On3 is projecting Sanders to Ole Miss and Armstrong is expected to go to NC St.  Hope Both are wrong and we get to pick between them.

Shouldn't we be a desirable place for QBs, given Freeze and Montgomery's track record? That's concerning.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Why are we not in the hunt for any of these QBs? I'm trying to be optimistic, but I don't know how to feel at this point. We need a strong finish here, and things have been much too quiet the last couple weeks!

@AUwent we are in the hunt. Just not sure we’re really sold on any of the QBs that are in the portal now. Yes we do need a strong finish, but that doesn’t mean it Hass to be now. As for it being quiet lately, that’s by design. As bird has said, there were leaks and they have been dealt with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, autan said:

I guess the ones CHF would like to have just don't like him or Auburn

@autan likiely not the case. It’s more likely the only two we were ready to take so far were McCall, who couldn’t transfer anywhere, because of his academics, and leery, who, Kentucky apparently put a massive  NIL deal to land.

1 minute ago, yngwie1995 said:

How does out QB situation affect potential WR signees?

Not great for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Is a clear starter usually known by May? Wouldn't coaches keep the competition going until fall for fear of someone transferring away? And if we do get someone in May, is that enough time to get them ready (in our system) by the fall?

8 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

How does out QB situation affect potential WR signees?

Would you want to set your future on a school with a 49% completion QB?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Is a clear starter usually known by May?

@yngwie1995 Not to the public sometimes but team staffs & QBs usually know who are leading their QBs races by then.

6 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Wouldn't coaches keep the competition going until fall for fear of someone transferring away?

Yes they will keep the competition going but like I said QBs will have an idea where they sit after Spring ball.

7 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

And if we do get someone in May, is that enough time to get them ready (in our system) by the fall?

To some extent. Rember we have an NFL preason like 3 game sched to start of to help a new QB get going.

Also if CHF and Monty know the guy we land is an upgrade to what we have now for 2023 I have no problem waiting til May to get him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Would you want to set your future on a school with a 49% completion QB?

Well, yeah, it was kind of a rhetorical question. Unless players would have faith that Auburn (big time program with a new coach) would fix their QB (and OL) situation by the fall.

Edited by yngwie1995

19 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

If we can't have McCall, Armstrong would a sensational alternative get for Freezball and our green QB situation, IMO.

Him or Samders at least somewhat stabilizes the QB position at average to okay-ish.

Might be enough to entice some skill players 

4 hours ago, autan said:

My goodness 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

Shouldn't we be a desirable place for QBs, given Freeze and Montgomery's track record? That's concerning.

What QB's and in what rounds have those guys had drafted? What's the track record?

6 hours ago, mb711 said:

What QB's and in what rounds have those guys had drafted? What's the track record?

Well they have a hiesman winner and finalist.  Two first round QBs.  At a minimum 

10 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

Unless players would have faith that Auburn (big time program with a new coach) would fix their QB (and OL) situation by the fall.

I think that ship has sailed. Auburn got a reputation with Gus of being a bad school for offensive players to prepare for the pros. Harsin came in with the sales pitch of being a QB guru, and several QBS - including two transfers - more or less flamed out on his watch. 

Freeze is going to have to prove himself. People are rightfully scoffing at Lane Kiffin right now, but the guy has proven credentials with QBs and WRs. It's been the better part of a decade since Hugh Freeze was on the national radar for anything other than calling prostitutes. He's recruited well given the circumstances, but I suspect he's going to have to show something this season to get the top portal players to start looking our way. And given what we have on the roster, his success will speak volumes. 

• Facepalm 2