2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Hes a really good player and we desperately need him.

31 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The portal blew up the last 3 days. Interesting 2 weeks coming up. 

Sunday is the last week for visits if they want to enroll in spring, which is the goal for nearly all of them.

Be interesting if any guys would commit without coming 

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Sunday is the last week for visits if they want to enroll in spring, which is the goal for nearly all of them.

Be interesting if any guys would commit without coming 

The discussion in this thread a few pages back said students have until 1/18 to enroll which would give us 2 weekends. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I think that ship has sailed. Auburn got a reputation with Gus of being a bad school for offensive players to prepare for the pros. Harsin came in with the sales pitch of being a QB guru, and several QBS - including two transfers - more or less flamed out on his watch. 

Freeze is going to have to prove himself. People are rightfully scoffing at Lane Kiffin right now, but the guy has proven credentials with QBs and WRs. It's been the better part of a decade since Hugh Freeze was on the national radar for anything other than calling prostitutes. He's recruited well given the circumstances, but I suspect he's going to have to show something this season to get the top portal players to start looking our way. And given what we have on the roster, his success will speak volumes. 

I was not on the Hugh bandwagon but am slowly starting to get on.  Hugh took a 3* QB that Auburn didn't know how to use Malik who transferred to Liberty and turned him into a drafted NFL player.  That was very recent. Liberty has very little name recognition and yet Freeze was able to find players like Malik and develop them up so that Liberty was sometimes in top 25 that is no small accomplishment.  Like I said I did not initially like the hire because of the off the field things not because he can't recruit and coach he has done that everywhere he has gone.  As long as he keeps his nose clean from here on out I will support him because I do believe in second chances.

Hugh already proved his recruiting acumen in turning a dismal HS recruiting class into a decent one in a few weeks and seems to be hitting the Portal hard. He deserves our support as long as he keeps his nose clean and shows he is building Auburn back up to levels we all want.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The discussion in this thread a few pages back said students have until 1/18 to enroll which would give us 2 weekends. 

This is a screenshot from the NCAA recruiting calendar. January 4-8 is recognized as a quiet period for those who are enrolling in spring semester. On campus visits are allowed during that time.  That’s how I interpret it at least. 

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/compliance/recruiting/calendar/2022-23/2022-23D1Rec_FBSMFBRecruitingCalendar.pdf

8AE4BF54-AA18-4596-9B72-A943BF601058.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

There is a dead period for transfer players from the 9th until the 13th, which eliminates the next weekend.

This is the last weekend to get kids on campus before they have to enroll.  Only work around is if we can stretch the academic deadline of 1/18 and get kids here that week of MLK and enrolled quickly after.  Probably unlikely 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Former Virginia QB. Lefty. On3. 

Not really a whisper on him. Keith said yesterday or a day before he was a top target for us along with Sanders & WED brought the info over here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Jlee

You referring to UVa QB & #2 QB in the portal in Brennan Armstrong?

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I was not on the Hugh bandwagon but am slowly starting to get on.  Hugh took a 3* QB that Auburn didn't know how to use Malik who transferred to Liberty and turned him into a drafted NFL player.  That was very recent. Liberty has very little name recognition and yet Freeze was able to find players like Malik and develop them up so that Liberty was sometimes in top 25 that is no small accomplishment.  Like I said I did not initially like the hire because of the off the field things not because he can't recruit and coach he has done that everywhere he has gone.  As long as he keeps his nose clean from here on out I will support him because I do believe in second chances.

Hugh already proved his recruiting acumen in turning a dismal HS recruiting class into a decent one in a few weeks and seems to be hitting the Portal hard. He deserves our support as long as he keeps his nose clean and shows he is building Auburn back up to levels we all want.

What you meant to say was Gus didn't know how to use Malik, as he didn't know how to use many players. On top of that, he did not recruit linemen well but Mickey would disagree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not really a whisper on him. Keith said yesterday or a day before he was a top target for us along with Sanders & WED brought the info over here.

From Jlee tweet I thought he was alluding to someone else when he said  a "new" qb target. The tweet was this am... Armstrong and Sanders been on the radar a minute now, so thought it was someone else

Edited by NWALA Tiger

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Yeah, I was not a fan of the hire but didn't really mean my post to be a slam. I really think he's done a very good job recruiting high school and has brought in some portal pieces we need. I was hoping he would have a better showing in the portal than he has, but with NIL, it's hard to put that on him. I just fail to see how we're going to make a big turnaround next season without a better options at QB. I know what Freeze did with Malik, but I think Malik was probably a better QB even here than Ashford was last season... he just played in a Gus offense which was basically hand off and hurl it. Not many QBs had big numbers with that. Ashford's accuracy would have to dramatically improve to be effective next season, so if we don't pull a portal QB, it's definitely going to be a test of Freeze's abilities. 

I guess I just don't buy into the Freeze being a brand outside of Auburn, yet, as far as transferring QBs and WRs are concerned. Most of these kids were in middle school when he last coached in the SEC and Liberty isn't exactly on the national radar. He's going to have to make a name here. If he can do with Ashford what he did with Willis, he'll accomplish that for certain. 

• Like 1

Does it matter that we are not the last visit for some of these guys? I see several lineman have visited over the last day but are going to other places this weekend. For example - the Baylor OL is going to Nebraska this weekend. 

I mean, I will take any visit that we can get. Just think it would be better if we were last, like we try to do for HS kids. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Does it matter that we are not the last visit for some of these guys? I see several lineman have visited over the last day but are going to other places this weekend. For example - the Baylor OL is going to Nebraska this weekend. 

I mean, I will take any visit that we can get. Just think it would be better if we were last, like we try to do for HS kids. 

I believe its always best to get the last visit. I’m hoping immediate playing time+a spectacular new football facility+the SEC is enough to win more of these battles than we lose. Would love to get the Baylor kid for sure. 

20 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Yeah, I was not a fan of the hire but didn't really mean my post to be a slam. I really think he's done a very good job recruiting high school and has brought in some portal pieces we need. I was hoping he would have a better showing in the portal than he has, but with NIL, it's hard to put that on him. I just fail to see how we're going to make a big turnaround next season without a better options at QB. I know what Freeze did with Malik, but I think Malik was probably a better QB even here than Ashford was last season... he just played in a Gus offense which was basically hand off and hurl it. Not many QBs had big numbers with that. Ashford's accuracy would have to dramatically improve to be effective next season, so if we don't pull a portal QB, it's definitely going to be a test of Freeze's abilities. 

I guess I just don't buy into the Freeze being a brand outside of Auburn, yet, as far as transferring QBs and WRs are concerned. Most of these kids were in middle school when he last coached in the SEC and Liberty isn't exactly on the national radar. He's going to have to make a name here. If he can do with Ashford what he did with Willis, he'll accomplish that for certain. 

One everybody is assuming if we don't get a Portal QB that RA will be the starter.  In a Freeze offense it is great to have a mobile QB but more important is an accurate QB.  If what people have said about Geriner is true he could earn the starting role due to his accuracy. A lot of that will depend on how we do in the Portal on the O-line. We brought in some quality HS O-line who I hope we don't need this year puls a JUCO and a transfer OT with some OT visiting this week.  A good O-line would probably improve RA's accuracy as his feet would be set more often and would also allow a Geriner to have a legitimate shot at winning the starting job.

We have  huge number of holes to fill Edge Rusher, LB, O-Line , maybe WR plus QB . My point is how good we do on shoring up the O-line will determine how important the QB is.  I am only looking for a good team next year not a world beater. 

56 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

From Jlee tweet I thought he was alluding to someone else when he said  a "new" qb target. The tweet was this am... Armstrong and Sanders been on the radar a minute now, so thought it was someone else

It's BA. Today was the 1st day JLee put him on JLee's transfer big board.

• Like 1