2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The key is baby steps. Perspective: Just a few months ago, we thought it was mystical to get a offensive line recruit, particularly in HS. Now we have seen an uptick in that and we have even potentially more after the weekend. But now that is not good enough, because we need guys that other SEC schools covet.

It is like what NS was saying last year..before he got to Bama, they just wanted to win football games consistently. Now if they don't win a NC every year, they are upset. Some fans just will not be content, even for the slightest of moments. Let's wait till after this weekend before we start overly criticizing. Things have yet to fully play out.

You are correct but I think we have actually done a little better then Baby Steps especially as far as O-line goes. We upgraded to a solid HS/JUCO O-line class and we have added two OT's in the Portal so far. We went from not having a starting 5 on O-Line to being close to having a starting 5 on O-Line and we are still recruiting O-Line. The Portal O-Line players we are bringing in are better then the ones that just graduated  not an elite class but a big improvement.  We will be able to judge better in a few days how much better we are then when Freeze arrived after we see who else commits. 

This year the challenge was and is to bring enough good players to be competitive and hopefully have a winning record this year and use that to build on to next years class. So far I think we might be doing that but still need to see who else commits.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think it is going to be a "rough" year. I also don't think it is going to be some lighting in a bottle type of year either. And the excitement stems from some positivity that we had zero of last year, particularly towards the very end. Have your opinion, I am all for it. I just disagree.

I dont want rough or lightning in a bottle. We have seen both at AU recently and neither one is sustainable.  I want to see progress . In recruiting, player development, in the overall vibe around the team. Not sure what that equates to in wins and losses but I know what progress in all phases looks like when I see it

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are correct but I think we have actually done a little better then Baby Steps especially as far as O-line goes. We upgraded to a solid HS/JUCO O-line class and we have added two OT's in the Portal so far. We went from not having a starting 5 on O-Line to being close to having a starting 5 on O-Line and we are still recruiting O-Line.

I agree 100%

I think we actually overachieved from the O line department.

My concern is needing a veteran QB, A couple WRs and the front seven. Would love to get a handful of guys from there, even if it is depth people.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Nice little podcast if you need to be brought up to speed on the recent portal visitors and where Auburn stands with them.  Sounds like we are in a really good place with Tolan right now. 

Sounds like he is going to do this pretty often at least when there is something going on regarding recruiting.  

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/auburn-football-transfers-offensive-line-202245195/

Awesome, thank you!!!

I see where WR Bryson Green from Oklahoma State is visiting. I watched him play at Allen, HS. He is a solidly built receiver just over 6' tall and just over 200 pounds and he plays physical. He likes hitting DB's on running plays and he is a strong runner after catching the ball. He breaks tackles and picks up extra yardage. He is fast but not track team fast has good eye for the ball and will go up and get it with strong hands.

I would love to pick him and Sander's up as they already have chemistry together as he was their 2nd leading receiver this year. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

If this is directed at my comments, then you misunderstood what I was trying to say. My point, which was probably communicated better in other threads, was exactly that "WE ARE IN A REBUILD." I was not suggesting that we would or should get a 180 type season quickly, just that it's going to be rough next year if we don't bring in some of the top transfer targets and most of them are already committed elsewhere. Sure, things are on the upswing, but I don't understand the excitement of getting commits from players that wouldn't start on 3/4's of the other SEC teams. Sure it's better than Harsin and it's commendable given the circumstances that our current staff is having to maneuver. But it's not high level recruiting yet either that will create a "180 type season." Mainly I am just trying to temper my own expectations by processing it in this forum, I suppose. 

Note: Although, AU is actually traveling near to where I live this year, so I am totally going to go watch them play and will totally be excited by then I'm sure. 

This entire football program is in shambles man.  Back to back losing seasons kind of BAD, +5 yrs of almost completely ignoring the oline and a few other important spots on the roster, we are on coaching staff #3 in 3 YEARS as we've watched our main rivals haul in hardware left and right and AU was sitting in the backseat with the likes of freaking Arkansas, USCe and the MS schools.  Things are as bad as I've ever seen in my lifetime which is dang near 50 yrs. 

I do not expect Freeze to miraculously transform the $#!t$h0w the last two regimes left in their wake. I DO expect him to do the job he's paid to do, make incremental improvements and build back the foundation Malzhan/Harsin allowed to crumble.  

The current players on our roster today would not start on 3/4th's of other SEC teams, things are that bad.  BUT, Freeze is working tirelessly to address the issues he's making progress!  

Considering the lackadaisical attitude xCBH had towards selling Auburn, building relationships and helping our Brand, my excitement comes from getting players in positions of need first.  Showing that this crew and develop the talent they have, and Freeze will evolve and create an effective offensive scheme with the players on hand.  Show improvement on the field and build a solid base that can be improved upon.  This will not be a quick fix, and the road ahead gets harder with Texas/OK joining the conference.  But we are at desperation levels and shear desperation lead to hiring Hugh Freeze.  I'm willing to be patient as long as he shows progress. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I see where WR Bryson Green from Oklahoma State is visiting. I watched him play at Allen, HS. He is a solidly built receiver just over 6' tall and just over 200 pounds and he plays physical. He likes hitting DB's on running plays and he is a strong runner after catching the ball. He breaks tackles and picks up extra yardage. He is fast but not track team fast has good eye for the ball and will go up and get it with strong hands.

I would love to pick him and Sander's up as they already have chemistry together as he was their 2nd leading receiver this year. 

This is my hope as well. Grab him up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Totally agree!!! Auburn hasn't won more than 6 games in a season in 4 years. To be where we are currently, with a brand new staff, is VERY promising.

Just to compare where we are, go look at signing day and where Auburn ended up compared to other schools that hired new coaches and staffs. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, Colorado, Louisville, Purdue. We not only finished ahead of those schools, we killed those schools in recruiting. That's really all we have to measure against so far is the Power 5 schools that were hiring new staffs. Also, Nebraska and Wisconsin named their coaches before we did. 

To expect us to be top 5 or top 10 is setting yourself up for disappointment. Go check where Florida or LSU wound up on last years early signing day as well because they had also just hired new staffs. Or where Tennessee wound up when Heupel was first hired. By next month's signing day we have an excellent chance to finish top 15 in the national rankings and if we're all being honest, we would've taken that everyday of the week and twice on sunday when Freeze was hired. WDE

I agree that top 10 this year was completely unrealistic. It will be necessary next year, however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I agree that top 10 this year was completely unrealistic. It will be necessary next year, however.

I agree. Right now Rivals has us at #16, On3 has us #17 and 247 has us #20. 

We have only signed 5 players from the portal but the average grade per player we've gotten in the portal is 90.25 which puts us on par with USCw, Michigan, Baylor among others. Our portal average per player is higher than Tennessee, Miami, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State. 

We would move up in both the HS rankings and Portal rankings if we had more players commit. 19 HS recruits for us and 5 portal recruits for us is keeping our ranking lower because every school ahead of us have already signed 22 - 29 players from HS and around 8 - 12 in the portal. I feel confident that Freeze and this staff can pull top 8 classes each year. Chizik had our best class and it was #4 in the nation. Gus kept us top 10 or 12 nearly every year. I know Coach Freeze is a better recruiter than those two were. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I agree. Right now Rivals has us at #16, On3 has us #17 and 247 has us #20. 

We have only signed 5 players from the portal but the average grade per player we've gotten in the portal is 90.25 which puts us on par with USCw, Michigan, Baylor among others. Our portal average per player is higher than Tennessee, Miami, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State. 

We would move up in both the HS rankings and Portal rankings if we had more players commit. 19 HS recruits for us and 5 portal recruits for us is keeping our ranking lower because every school ahead of us have already signed 22 - 29 players from HS and around 8 - 12 in the portal. I feel confident that Freeze and this staff can pull top 8 classes each year. Chizik had our best class and it was #4 in the nation. Gus kept us top 10 or 12 nearly every year. I know Coach Freeze is a better recruiter than those two were. 

I appreciate the enthusiasm and things are going in a positive direction but…… Equating recruiting success for today based on performances from over 10 years ago is wishful thinking. Different recruiting game being played today vs 2009. 

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Looks like he's squatted over the Bama logo...perhaps a hint?🤔 😂

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Looks like he's squatted over the Bama logo...perhaps a hint?🤔 😂

It does appear he’s handling his business. 😂

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Hope this is true! It seems like bringing in a solid one and done QB is the best plan for the future. Hopefully it won’t scare away any of our current QBs and will give them opportunity to grow and see how they can still have a role in the future 

10 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Hopefully it won’t scare away any of our current QBs and will give them opportunity to grow and see how they can still have a role in the future 

Or inspire them to beat him out for the top job. Nothing breeds excellence like competition. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Hope this is true! It seems like bringing in a solid one and done QB is the best plan for the future. Hopefully it won’t scare away any of our current QBs and will give them opportunity to grow and see how they can still have a role in the future 

A one year transfer shouldn't scare away a single QB on our roster

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Portal does bring different reactions than in the past.

Agree. Hard to tell how these athletes will react especially when they can shop themselves to other teams. Why sit somewhere and make less $$$$$ 

6 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Wow, great news. I think he is the best guy currently available for sure.

He never said he was committing, he was telling them to hit the brakes

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Portal does bring different reactions than in the past.

True, but we don't have anyone who is really hyped as a viable transfer prospect. 

HG played against terrible competition in HS and wasn't good in bad situations last year. RA couldn't complete 50% of his passes and TF was meh. The last two can't even transfer until they graduate 

Portal also closes in 11 days. They know we're looking for a stater. They'd be gone already, IMO, if they wanted to be

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

True, but we don't have anyone who is really hyped as a viable transfer prospect. 

HG played against terrible competition in HS and wasn't good in bad situations last year. RA couldn't complete 50% of his passes and TF was meh. The last two can't even transfer until they graduate 

Portal also closes in 11 days. They know we're looking for a stater. They'd be gone already, IMO, if they wanted to be

If anyone goes will probably be Geriner, and probably after spring when he sees lay of the land.