2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

So, I did it….. I did a game by game analysis of Spencer Sanders.   The first 7 games of the season, he was very good!!!   OSU was 6-1 with wins over Texas and Baylor, and their lone loss was a 2OT loss to TCU, the TCU in the CFP final!   He showed a strong arm, good accuracy, and dynamic skills as a runner.   There were already concerns about his shoulder before Texas.  He wasn’t the same QB after that.   Conclusion:  A healthy Spencer Sanders is a very good QB!!!   Sign me up!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

If anyone goes will probably be Geriner, and probably after spring when he sees lay of the land.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's splitting reps with the twos and a high chance to start in 24. No RSFR should expect more. Especially a low rated 4* coming from awful competition. 

But as you said, not always rational

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

So, I did it….. I did a game by game analysis of Spencer Sanders.   The first 7 games of the season, he was very good!!!   OSU was 6-1 with wins over Texas and Baylor, and their lone loss was a 2OT loss to TCU, the TCU in the CFP final!   He showed a strong arm, good accuracy, and dynamic skills as a runner.   There were already concerns about his shoulder before Texas.  He wasn’t the same QB after that.   Conclusion:  A healthy Spencer Sanders is a very good QB!!!   Sign me up!

He's definitely never been the most accurate QB (even when healthy), but over those games he comp 59%, 8ypa, 15/4 TD to INT ratio, 8 rushing TDs and 55ypg rushing.

Hopefully some improvement under Hugh, getting healthier, etc.

Def improvement 

• Like 1

WED,

I agree on Geriner, contrary to it being a negative, bringing in a one and done, particularly  with the experience Sanders has, will be ideal for Geriner, to learn, and hopefully get some playing time and get acclimated to the speed.

In high school Geriner played against smaller schools but the talent around him was not exactly Mater Dei either.  In film he does a great job with reading progressions quickly and VERY quickly releasing the ball once he has done the reads, perfect for a Freeze offense.  

Regarding players "shopping" themselves.  Its a two way street fellas, and you are seeing this, heck we did it to a couple of our players.  Hit the portal to shop around, wanted to come back out of the portal when there werent many bites......and we told to just stay there "we good".  Now they have been there for quite a while and no one is a calling.  And they were sitting on a full ride at a very good school.  

25 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

If anyone goes will probably be Geriner, and probably after spring when he sees lay of the land.

Maybe, but how can we know that? He’s a very talented RS Freshman QB going through his first spring with a new coaching staff. I’m not confident any of us know what the lay of the land will be post spring. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trinidad tiger said:

WED,

I agree on Geriner, contrary to it being a negative, bringing in a one and done, particularly  with the experience Sanders has, will be ideal for Geriner, to learn, and hopefully get some playing time and get acclimated to the speed.

In high school Geriner played against smaller schools but the talent around him was not exactly Mater Dei either.  In film he does a great job with reading progressions quickly and VERY quickly releasing the ball once he has done the reads, perfect for a Freeze offense.  

Regarding players "shopping" themselves.  Its a two way street fellas, and you are seeing this, heck we did it to a couple of our players.  Hit the portal to shop around, wanted to come back out of the portal when there werent many bites......and we told to just stay there "we good".  Now they have been there for quite a while and no one is a calling.  And they were sitting on a full ride at a very good school.  

I like HG, so my comments aren't intended to be a knock against him. I just think nearly all QBs aren't ready in year 1 or 2

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Maybe, but how can we know that? He’s a very talented RS Freshman QB going through his first spring with a new coaching staff. I’m not confident any of us know what the lay of the land will be post spring. 

Sorry if I inferred that I “knew” this to be correct. It is a supposition on my part which would be highly dependent on what the “lay of the land” is like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Sorry if I inferred that I “knew” this to be correct. It is a supposition on my part which would be highly dependent on what the “lay of the land” is like.

I’m curious what all of these QBs look like with legit o linemen. Unlike last season, this should be a fun Spring to follow. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Is his shoulder expected be completely healthy by Spring? 

• Thanks 2

Sorry if I came across as negative to anyone regarding Geriner, I think he will be good, but definitely needs to learn behind an experienced QB.  Last year he rarely saw a play develop because the QB was running for his life so he never got to see how defenses reacted etc, this year will be a great learning experience.

Regarding Sanders, Im curious as well about his "injury", I didnt know he had been hurt, is he healthy?

9 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I just read Spencer committed.   Has it been confirmed?

9 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I just read Spencer committed.   Has it been confirmed?

No 

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Hope this is true! It seems like bringing in a solid one and done QB is the best plan for the future. Hopefully it won’t scare away any of our current QBs and will give them opportunity to grow and see how they can still have a role in the future 

Not a single one of those guys are ready to lead, imo. And even if they leave , with the college landscape, it’s always going to be this way. They will always have to compete like this. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Is his shoulder expected be completely healthy by Spring? 

Great question.  I have no idea.  He played with it a few games.  I haven’t heard anything about a surgery or anything, so my thought is he should be ok, but I haven’t heard anything to confirm that.  

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

All American game- I thought Lew playing center looked great. 

Lew looks exactly as expected....3-4 year starter. 

D. Reed has been an absolute menace. Very disruptive. Quick and explosive.

K. Faulk is playing out of position and has still been an impact. 

K. Lee is looking like a boss. at least 2 great PBUs and an excellent open field tackle from across the field. 

HAven't seen Scott yet myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

He's definitely never been the most accurate QB (even when healthy), but over those games he comp 59%, 8ypa, 15/4 TD to INT ratio, 8 rushing TDs and 55ypg rushing.

Hopefully some improvement under Hugh, getting healthier, etc.

Def improvement 

Serious question; his head coach Mike Gundy is a former QB and has always had good QB's at Okie St. and they've seemed to always put up big numbers under his tutelage. Between Gundy and Freeze, who would you give the edge to as a QB coach? We also have Philip Montgomery and Kent Austin as well that will play a huge part in QB development. I haven't looked to see who Gundy has with him to teach their QB's. 

41 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Lew looks exactly as expected....3-4 year starter. 

D. Reed has been an absolute menace. Very disruptive. Quick and explosive.

K. Faulk is playing out of position and has still been an impact. 

K. Lee is looking like a boss. at least 2 great PBUs and an excellent open field tackle from across the field. 

HAven't seen Scott yet myself.

Think I saw Scott being assisted off the field in the 2nd quarter. He was waking under his own power. So assisted might not be the correct word. 

5 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Think I saw Scott being assisted off the field in the 2nd quarter. He was waking under his own power. So assisted might not be the correct word. 

Yes he did get injured. I think I saw him make a tackle just prior. 

D. Reed has been the best player on the D side of either team.