2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

1 hour ago, Browning4AU said:

Mazzcua committed to UF. 

The funny thing is that a few minutes before he announced, the Florida moderator said it would be anywhere, but Florida hahah 

You just really never know with these kids… unless they have an offer from Alabama or Georgia ha ha

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

The pitiful situation is that we still could add 10+ more players today to be at the 85. 

According to a post on the main football forum, we had three slots left before the center committed today. If that's correct, currently we'll be at 83 when all the high school guys enroll in May. A few more may bail out after spring practice, they usually do but how many is unknown at this time.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

According to a post on the main football forum, we had three slots left before the center committed today. If that's correct, currently we'll be at 83 when all the high school guys enroll in May. A few more may bail out after spring practice, they usually do but how many is unknown at this time.

That is odd because all of the mods on AU football sites say we can take 40+ newbies I think we are at 30 or 31. 

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

That is odd because all of the mods on AU football sites say we can take 40+ newbies I think we are at 30 or 31. 

It's the third article down in Aubie50's post "1/10/23". AU beat writer Tom Green is the author. FWIW, I've never thought we had enough slots to add the popular 45 number. It didn't make any sense. A few more will probably open up after spring practice but if Green is correct we're at 83 right now.

Note: I haven't bothered to count them myself.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's the third article down in Aubie50's post "1/10/23". AU beat writer Tom Green is the author. FWIW, I've never thought we had enough slots to add the popular 45 number. It didn't make any sense. A few more will probably open up after spring practice but if Green is correct we're at 83 right now.

Note: I haven't bothered to count them myself.

After reading the Green article I was going to ask: so we can only add two more scholarship players to get to 85? You answered the question without me having to ask.

I’m sure some more players will head to the portal or call it quits before, during and after spring. It’ll be interesting to see how many more we can sign.

What a fantastic job this staff has done, as we are nearing the full 85 already! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

After reading the Green article I was going to ask: so we can only add two more scholarship players to get to 85?

QB and EDGE is the only correct answer 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Have heard about 5-7 more before the season 

Should be plenty of skill position guys in the portal after spring. We’ll know by then if we go after a QB. We’re almost there. Man, I’m so pumped for the spring game. It’s been years since I’ve cared about it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Have heard about 5-7 more before the season 

So much for having a depleted roster lol 

14 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

@gr82b4auThat was said based on expected need no matter how many were on roster. Meaning if we can meet all our needs and go over 85 then other players on the team would leave to keep us at or below 85.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AU-24 said:

After reading the Green article I was going to ask: so we can only add two more scholarship players to get to 85?

@AU-24 We can and will add as many as we need. If we are looking at going over 85 then others will leave. Side note there are at least a few others expected to leave at some point.

• Like 1

Spencer Sanders hasn't signed with anyone yet.  Interesting.

ESPN article today says we are the best fit for him: https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/espn-believes-auburn-tigers-are-the-best-fit-for-oklahoma-state-quarterback-transfer-spencer-sanders

Love to have him.

Edited by Cardin Drake

4 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Spencer Sanders hasn't signed with anyone yet.  Interesting.

ESPN article today says we are the best fit for him: https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/espn-believes-auburn-tigers-are-the-best-fit-for-oklahoma-state-quarterback-transfer-spencer-sanders

Love to have him.

Spencer Sanders does not have an offer and has not been brought in for a visit. As of now, they do not have interest in him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

Spencer Sanders does not have an offer and has not been brought in for a visit. As of now, they do not have interest in him.

Any ideas what QB they waiting for?

20 minutes ago, metafour said:

That's curious. If so, we must have somebody pretty damn good in mind.

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Any ideas what QB they waiting for?

I think this is one of those that is like when I was a kid and my parents told me no peaking or touching the gifts. We just have to wait and enjoy the surprise. 😅

I still would like to see us get Sanders. His 61% is a lot better then RA 49%.  Both had turnover issues so I am not saying he is going to take us to the promised land but he can make us very competitive this year which is what I am looking for in 1st year. Then we need a stellar HS 2024 class and a few more portal players to give us time to develop our young talent.

With what a great job Freeze and staff have done in this recruiting cycle I probably shouldn't second guess them but I still feel like Sanders is a solid choice.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

17 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

I think this is one of those that is like when I was a kid and my parents told me no peaking or touching the gifts. We just have to wait and enjoy the surprise. 😅

And hope waiting doesn't backfire. Recruits never change their minds, right? Hope if we are waiting, especially if it's on someone specific, we don't get burned...

7 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

And hope waiting doesn't backfire. Recruits never change their minds, right? Hope if we are waiting, especially if it's on someone specific, we don't get burned...

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush scenario.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush scenario.

Depends how big the birds in the bush are to really know the valuation of waiting vs taking Sanders, but I agree it would have to be a significant upgrade to make waiting worthwhile. 

QB is a position wherein you either believe in the guy or you don't. It's not really a "someone else said he's good, so why not?" type deal. As of right now, they clearly don't see Sanders as being a big enough upgrade to commit to him. If they did, he probably would have been committed by now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2