2023 Recruiting Hot-Board

Zeek

5 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I think Auburn fans need to get themselves happy with RA.  I suspect he’ll be our starter next season.  Me thinks there is no mysterious savior qb popping outta nowhere.  If he does, great.  This has the feel of “disappointment“ for some fans.

I think I saw an article that there were 120 QBs that entered the portal this year. HF has far surpassed every expectation I had, but we need a QB. He knows it. He got a late start because he was just hired in December, then he had one ready to go. It did not work out and now we are stuck. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TigerVII said:

If RA is the starting QB for the 2023 season, we will be fortunate to win 6 football games.  I know it, you know it, and Coach Hugh Freeze knows it.

@TigerVII Disagree. Even with RA as QB we should win at least 8 this season because of upgrading a good number of positions and a relatively easier schedule than we usually have due to getting Vandy this season plus mass exodus of talent at aTm & Arky. Upgrading the QB position gets us at least 9-10 wins in thw regular season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Well, every single person in the world is now saying he’s going to TCU. He jumps to the portal and an hour later already knows where he’s going.

Likely knew before he jumped in.

11 hours ago, toddc said:

We’ve got Finley coming back for the team.

@toddc Where have you seen this? Everything I've seen says he will go in the portal and trasfer after he graduates from AU this semester.

10 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

QB for the 94 Interception Game at JHS.  I remember that game well, it was one of the craziest games I have ever been to. 

I think Howard threw like 6 interceptions????  

It was the game that cemented me turning from the Dark Side & becoming an AU fan.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

They can't visit anymore

@W.E.D Where are you seeing this? I haven't seen anything anywhere saying they can't visit after the portal closes on the 18th. They should be able to visit schools until January 29th. Obviously players visiting that late may not enroll til the Summer semester but they still should be able to visit.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@toddc Where have you seen this? Everything I've seen says he will go in the portal and trasfer after he graduates from AU this semester.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/tj-finley-auburn-football-quarterback-2023-202690624/

11 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Steve Wiltfong just CBed Justin Rogers to AU. I hope we get him. What an addition that would be! 

https://247sports.com/player/justin-rogers-91684/

image.thumb.png.134ea7ef5bccb8447c04f2617b9f8df1.png

Sounds like something may be coming today. Appearantly people at LSU & Bama see AU as the favorite.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@W.E.D Where are you seeing this? I haven't seen anything anywhere saying they can't visit after the portal closes on the 18th. They should be able to visit schools until January 29th. Obviously players visiting that late may not enroll til the Summer semester but they still should be able to visit.

I've tagged you in a few posts in the last week regarding transfer portal visitations

Might be possible to visit during the week Jan 14-Jan 19th, but not sure that's possible either. 

Portal players don't follow the same schedule as HS recruits. 

Transfer visitors have from Jan. 4 to Jan. 8 to make visits before recruiting goes back into a dead period until Jan. 13. But at Auburn — and some other schools across the country — classes start on Jan. 11 with the final day to add classes being Jan. 18. So, it has to be a quick turnaround for a transfer to choose their next destination and enroll."

Edited by W.E.D

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I've tagged you in a few posts in the last week regarding transfer portal visitations

Might be possible to visit during the week Jan 14-Jan 19th, but not sure that's possible either. 

Portal players don't follow the same schedule as HS recruits. 

Transfer visitors have from Jan. 4 to Jan. 8 to make visits before recruiting goes back into a dead period until Jan. 13. But at Auburn — and some other schools across the country — classes start on Jan. 11 with the final day to add classes being Jan. 18. So, it has to be a quick turnaround for a transfer to choose their next destination and enroll."

That is if they enroll for Spring semester.   A player could visit AU on the 19th, and even commit to AU, but after the 18th they cannot enroll for the Spring semester.    They will have to miss out on Spring ball and enroll in the summer.  So it would be ideal to get our transfers locked in before the 18th.   But we can and will continue to explore the portal after that date.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Google it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

It was the game that cemented me turning from the Dark Side & becoming an AU fan.

Same with my wife @ellitor!! She walked into Jordan-Hare a bama fan, left an Auburn fan and has been ever since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

That is if they enroll for Spring semester.   A player could visit AU on the 19th, and even commit to AU, but after the 18th they cannot enroll for the Spring semester.    They will have to miss out on Spring ball and enroll in the summer.  So it would be ideal to get our transfers locked in before the 18th.   But we can and will continue to explore the portal after that date.  

Maybe, but it would have to be on their dime vs an official paid visit.  The next window opens up for 15 days in May.

What's more, kids that don't/can't find a home by 1/19 are most likely kids that no one wants, extreme low priorities.  Anyone that is actually good will find a home by 1/19 unless rare circumstance like Leota who wanted to graduate, but he was already committed in the portal window...so not really a great example.

It's in the same vein of people expecting loads of actual good kids to enter the portal after spring practice.  It's going to be an extremely shallow pool of talented players & a lot of "meh"

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@TigerVII Even with RA as QB we should win at least 8 this season because of upgrading a good number of positions and a relatively easier schedule than we usually have due to getting Vandy this season plus mass exodus of talent at aTm & Arky. Upgrading the QB position gets us at least 9-10 wins in thw regular season.

We agree that the 2023 schedule is more favorable to AU than it has been recently, and we agree that a QB upgrade probably means +2 in the win column. If 2024 is going to be the year that we get back into the Top 10 recruiting classes, then we definitely need the +2 wins to show we can be better than an 8-5 program.  We also need to take the bowl game seriously for the first  time since losing to FSU in January 2014.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Read an article about it. Said he returned to the team and was at the first team meeting. He would go to school and try to graduate. 

He is required to stay on the team if he wants to keep his scholarship. My guess is Finley may try his best to win the QB job in spring practice but will graduate and enter the portal if he doesn't end the spring at QB1.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Gowebb11@toddc That's him fulfilling the obligations of his scholly til he graduates and transfers.

I get that, but he’s going to be able to compete in spring ball, correct. Not sure what kind of chances he’ll get from CHF though after what has happened. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He is required to stay on the team if he wants to keep his scholarship. My guess is Finley may try his best to win the QB job in spring practice but will graduate and enter the portal if he doesn't end the spring at QB1.

I agree.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I Deserve It GIFs | Tenor

Glad you’re back in the recruiting forum brother! Hope all is well with you and yours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Maybe, but it would have to be on their dime vs an official paid visit.  The next window opens up for 15 days in May.

What's more, kids that don't/can't find a home by 1/19 are most likely kids that no one wants, extreme low priorities.  Anyone that is actually good will find a home by 1/19 unless rare circumstance like Leota who wanted to graduate, but he was already committed in the portal window...so not really a great example.

It's in the same vein of people expecting loads of actual good kids to enter the portal after spring practice.  It's going to be an extremely shallow pool of talented players & a lot of "meh"

I agree that the ones in the late Portal is basically meh types but while the really good pool is shallow if we could get the right one it could make a world of difference. If none of our current QB's just have a great spring and flat out win the job or if we could find an elite Edge we could turn a very very good Portal class into a homerun Portal class.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I hate to say it, but I find this to be the worst case scenario for AU. The quarterbacks are not going to be touched in spring practice or in the spring games. Finley has proven that he can win practice just about every time. When the actual lights go on, he crumbles.
The last thing we need is for him to win the starting job… again. 
I just want a fresh start for everybody.

I know this is a Recruiting thread, and there is a thread about this already on the football board, just wanted to throw in my .2 which is probably not going to be popular. 
back to recruiting!!!😀

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree that the ones in the late Portal is basically meh types but while the really good pool is shallow if we could get the right one it could make a world of difference. If none of our current QB's just have a great spring and flat out win the job or if we could find an elite Edge we could turn a very very good Portal class into a homerun Portal class.  

I don't think an elite Edge will enter the portal but there are some QB upgrades who may be losing there battles in the Spring I could see us taking in May.

Also while I agree with WED the May window will have a good bit higher percentage of meh players I do think you can see some quality 1 & doners hit the portal after they graduate this semester.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I hate to say it, but I find this to be the worst case scenario for AU. The quarterbacks are not going to be touched in spring practice or in the spring games. Finley has proven that he can win practice just about every time. When the actual lights go on, he crumbles.
The last thing we need is for him to win the starting job… again. 
I just want a fresh start for everybody.

I know this is a Recruiting thread, and there is a thread about this already on the football board, just wanted to throw in my .2 which is probably not going to be popular. 
back to recruiting!!!😀

Yeah but that was with Harsin…like many of us here Freeze and his OC has probably seen all they need of Finley. I see a transfer QB, Robby and HG…with Hank Brown in training.