What do you mean by "street ball?"

JwgreDeux

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Anybody who wants to see an example of street ball, watch the first 12 minutes of Auburn's second half of the So. Cal game. In just the first 12 minutes of the second half AU had 12 points, 12 turnovers and 9 fouls. That's some sho' 'nuff street ball.

You mean the stretch when Wen went out and Tre was in foul trouble? Yeah that was a bad stretch without either of our point guards on the floor. You can tell CBP trying to work through things with this group. KD was in his own head, Chance barley played, CBP toying with rotations trying to find the recipe. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 12:28 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

My interpretation is that it’s just unorganized, like the same type of stuff you’d see if 5 guys just played together at the rec 

Which it doesn’t look that far from that at times imo lol 

Agree!

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

You mean the stretch when Wen went out and Tre was in foul trouble? Yeah that was a bad stretch without either of our point guards on the floor. You can tell CBP trying to work through things with this group. KD was in his own head, Chance barley played, CBP toying with rotations trying to find the recipe. 

I watched Westry where he played toe to toe with the Israel guard who is an NBA player.  I am not sure if it the injury or loss of confidence but he has the ability to be the 2 that we need.  Tre has also shown the ability to be a solid PG if given more PT so he can improve. As Boome has healed in last 2 games he is starting to look like the player we expected. Green's sprain may help Tre's devlopment. I think Pearl has some tough decisions to make start giving Westry and Tre more PT  now to allow them to develop which could mean losing some games but allowing the team to be better towards end of the season. Three things could happen. One they get better but it is to late to make it to the big dance, two they don't get better and we have a bad season, and finally they get better we make the big dance though we won't go far this year in the big dance.

Westry and Tre have the tools just need to develop them and their confidence. Some times you have to build for the future even if it hurts you right now.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I watched Westry where he played toe to toe with the Israel guard who is an NBA player.  I am not sure if it the injury or loss of confidence but he has the ability to be the 2 that we need.  Tre has also shown the ability to be a solid PG if given more PT so he can improve. As Boome has healed in last 2 games he is starting to look like the player we expected. Green's sprain may help Tre's devlopment. I think Pearl has some tough decisions to make start giving Westry and Tre more PT  now to allow them to develop which could mean losing some games but allowing the team to be better towards end of the season. Three things could happen. One they get better but it is to late to make it to the big dance, two they don't get better and we have a bad season, and finally they get better we make the big dance though we won't go far this year in the big dance.

Westry and Tre have the tools just need to develop them and their confidence. Some times you have to build for the future even if it hurts you right now.

Yeah you should never punt on a season in mid December, but I think you’re definitely approaching a moment where you wonder if your rotation that was in your head is the rotation that you need 

The premise that this is a 11-ish man rotation is definitely one that has to come into question. You may have 11 guys that have clear value and/or upside, but do they all work together? Can you afford KD’s spasticness + AF’s volatility + a consistently…uncoordinated… Traore in the same lineup? Even if you need all 3 to be a championship caliber team, can you sit one?

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We basically didn't move in KenPom after this game. There's no reason to panic over a one possession loss on the road to USC. We were the better team. We lost the game because of 20+ turnovers. We rebounded better and defended better than the Memphis game, we shot a better percentage than USC and did pretty well at the line too. This isn't a bad team. No reason to abandon ship and build for next year. CBP knows he has to find a rotation, you've seen him actively trying to do so with the guards recently and I think he has shown he knows what he's doing. I mean we barely lost and Wen and KD both had 0 points. Don't panic. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 3:54 PM, JwgreDeux said:

We basically didn't move in KenPom after this game. There's no reason to panic over a one possession loss on the road to USC. We were the better team. We lost the game because of 20+ turnovers. We rebounded better and defended better than the Memphis game, we shot a better percentage than USC and did pretty well at the line too. This isn't a bad team. No reason to abandon ship and build for next year. CBP knows he has to find a rotation, you've seen him actively trying to do so with the guards recently and I think he has shown he knows what he's doing. I mean we barely lost and Wen and KD both had 0 points. Don't panic. 

I agree. That said the loss showed some thing we have seen throughout the season like getting beat on the boards some weak passes. All things that we can improve on but some concern. I do expect us to get better like last nights game against Washington. But just like the USC game it is one game you need to see the improvement through out the season.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

I just want to add as far as "street" ball. You have to be pretty smart to play street well. As someone mentioned it's not organized and structured for you. 

So good players have to do things like show leadership, be quick witted, pay attention to detail, be versatile, and able to adjust on the fly. 

I know many like to use the street ball stuff in a negative manner but to be a good player you must have a bunch of good qualities. And to be a great player you must have certain attributes that you can actually apply to be successful in the real world. 

Once again there are a few things that this team could really use, especially our guards. 

• Like 2

@cole256 apologized if I missed it…thoughts on Tre at PG?  The team seems to respond better on offense when he’s out there. Seems like a better fit for what Bruce wants to do and makes some great passes.

To my untrained eye, his biggest knock is he sometimes looks like he’s running/jumping in mud.  Would like to see more explosiveness.

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

@cole256 apologized if I missed it…thoughts on Tre at PG?  The team seems to respond better on offense when he’s out there. Seems like a better fit for what Bruce wants to do and makes some great passes.

To my untrained eye, his biggest knock is he sometimes looks like he’s running/jumping in mud.  Would like to see more explosiveness.

The fact that he is a football player type build actually helps Tre.  He is strong so doesn't get knocked around and had a very solid handle. In the game at Washington he was the type of PG we have not had in a while. He found open men and rebounded well and basically did not look for his shot.

As he gets more PT and works on his game he will need to add some offense to his game but he is 1st guard in a while who looks to feed the big guys inside.  He had something like 7 assists yesterday and played less then half the game.  That is just one game so need to see more of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Hey bro. I don't think it's them even responding better. It's he just had a PG mindset of setting guys up and he's the only one that approaches the game like that and it shows what this team could be with that guy. He's definitely a better fit. 

I can't speak of his athleticism yet. I'll go look up some of his YouTube highlights and I'll be able to tell you more about that and I'll come back and let you know my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm still haunted by the Miami game last season during the NCAA run.

I keep wanting to see we have the ability to successfully negate a team like Miami this season so we don't have an early exit again.   The low scoring and close games so far this year make me see the Miami game again and again.  Yes we have a lot of new faces... time will tell if we are ready by Mar next year.

On 12/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, 81spacetiger said:

I'm still haunted by the Miami game last season during the NCAA run.

I keep wanting to see we have the ability to successfully negate a team like Miami this season so we don't have an early exit again.   The low scoring and close games so far this year make me see the Miami game again and again.  Yes we have a lot of new faces... time will tell if we are ready by Mar next year.

Your concerns are well take. The way we played Memphis did resemble some of the Miami symptoms. That being said, I think we are too down on last season's team. It was a disappointing loss in the second round of the tourney, but the team had a very good season overall. Also at work in that game if you will remember was we played terrible defense in the second half. We were tied at 33 or within one point at halftime and we game up nearly 50 points in the second half on top of a poor offensive showing. Miami really took advantage of Kessler's style of play, drawing him away from the hoop on defense and not allowing the lob to him on offense. 

Be patient with CBP as he works on finding the rotation with this current group. The growing pains aren't over yet.