Education Department Opens Federal Civil Rights Investigation Into a Texas School District's Banning of LGBTQ Books

CoffeeTiger

25 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Why should we care if these books are in libraries?   Why is it so terrifying to validate homosexuality?

Typical leftist logic:  they’re not in the school libraries and it’s good that they are.  And why did you notice it?

Edited by I_M4_AU

23 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Why are some of you afraid of homosexuals?

Ahh, the final leftist assault.  Bravo.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you believe this book doesn’t exist or that it isn’t in school libraries?  I have no idea if this book is in middle schools or elementary schools, but I believe it is in schools.

Obviously the book exists. I would doubt they are in a school library based on the way the pictures are taken / cropped and the fact there is no information about the school. I could easily recreate the top left picture by going to a bookstore, moving the book to a different isle, and taking a picture claiming it was in a school library. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arein0 said:

Obviously the book exists. I would doubt they are in a school library based on the way the pictures are taken / cropped and the fact there is no information about the school. I could easily recreate the top left picture by going to a bookstore, moving the book to a different isle, and taking a picture claiming it was in a school library. 

The topic of the thread is about these type books in school libraries.  I fail to see why you would doubt they are in school libraries.  Several states have banned them.  

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Ban books, not assault weapons.

School libraries are killing our children.

We are smart people.  We protect our children.

Exactly what I was thinking. Imagine conservatives being so afraid and scared by books that they're banning them over assault weapons. 39 mass shootings in 24 days in 2023 alone, and we're having this conversation about why books should be banned. Scary times for the common sense. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The topic of the thread is about these type books in school libraries.  I fail to see why you would doubt they are in school libraries.  Several states have banned them.  

So because that is the topic of the thread, it makes the "Libs of TikTok" twitter a valid source? A source that looks like they staged the pictures to create an uproar? You do realize just because it's on the internet doesnt make mean it is fact, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, arein0 said:

So because that is the topic of the thread, it makes the "Libs of TikTok" twitter a valid source? A source that looks like they staged the pictures to create an uproar? You do realize just because it's on the internet doesnt make mean it is fact, right?

What I realize is states don’t arbitrarily ban books that are in libraries.  They were in the libraries and thought not to be appropriate to be there.  

What you should do is the next time you volunteer at the inner city school you go to go to the library and find out for your self.  Ask the librarian for books related to trans and gay sex.  You can do it and please report back.  Ask about the sex education curriculum at that school.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Ban books, not assault weapons.

School libraries are killing our children.

We are smart people.  We protect our children.

Yep,

American logic at its finest. 

12 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

What I realize is states don’t arbitrarily ban books that are in libraries.  They were in the libraries and thought not to be appropriate to be there.  

Yes, societies who ban books from libraries because they aren't "appropriate" and "shouldn't" be there have always been on the right side of history. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Yes, societies who ban books from libraries because they aren't "appropriate" and "shouldn't" be there have always been on the right side of history. 

If you are talking about banning books in public libraries, I agree.  What is being discussed is a school library where if should concern all parental concerns.  If a child and the parents want to discuss the issue of gender and/or homosexuality they should buy the books mentioned or go to the public library.

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If you are talking about banning books in public libraries, I agree.  What is being discussed is a school library where if should concern all parental concerns.  If a child and the parents want to discuss the issue of gender and/or homosexuality they should buy the books mentioned or go to the public library.

You know that your fellow Conservatives are targeting public libraries to try and have them remove lgbtq content /CRT books as well? Your anti-lgbtq movement isn't stopping at school libraries. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/11/10/lgbtq-books-library-mi-defunded-jamestown/8323736001/

https://bookriot.com/ridgeland-library-censorship/

https://ktvz.com/news/crook-county/2022/12/07/crook-county-library-faces-community-pressure-to-label-lgbtq-books-remove-from-childrens-section/

Slippery slope. In a few years you'll be defending libraries in conservative areas removing these books because "If people want to read those types of books they can just go to their nearest big city library to get it. Conservative's shouldn't have their tax dollars used to fund public libraries with books they view as harmful."

• Thanks 1

If we end abortion, all abortion, put the queers and the trannies back in the closet, our society will be healed.  God will love us again.

It's just that simple.  Freedumb!!!!

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If schools are public and have a library, does that mean their libraries are public libraries? If so, doesnt that mean that they are already banning books in public libraries? If you look historically, most book bans happen in Fascist Governments. Is this another example where you side with Fascism?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

You know that your fellow Conservatives are targeting public libraries

It maybe a shock to you, but I don’t agree with all conservatives.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

It maybe a shock to you, but I don’t agree with all conservatives.

You're in the same anti-lgbtq coalition as they are ,it just so happens you ONLY want books banned in school libraries instead of all libraries. 

Maybe the correct position is to not be banning any of these books in any library? 

15 minutes ago, arein0 said:

If schools are public and have a library, does that mean their libraries are public libraries? If so, doesnt that mean that they are already banning books in public libraries? If you look historically, most book bans happen in Fascist Governments. Is this another example where you side with Fascism?

Brilliant logic.  As I explained; schools have a responsibility to all parents and be respectable to their children and not force children to study something that does not coincide with a person’s family values.

Now you might say take those children to a private school, but then you’re being double taxed.  Some people can’t afford this type of option.

The Fascism label is the new racist label that has stopped working.  Bravo.

I have a feeling that you side with social communism, but I just think you are mistaken on your views.

6 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

You're in the same anti-lgbtq coalition as they are ,it just so happens you ONLY want books banned in school libraries instead of all libraries. 

Maybe the correct position is to not be banning any of these books in any library? 

I am definitely anti-LGBTQlksjdg9 coalition for OUR YOUTH as the youth don’t have enough understanding to make such decisions.  Somehow you can’t understand that.

16 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Brilliant logic.  As I explained; schools have a responsibility to all parents and be respectable to their children and not force children to study something that does not coincide with a person’s family values.

That's the kicker. Karen's "family values" shouldn't matter when it comes to public education. 

It may be against some parents religion for their kids to learn about lgbtq people, evolution, black history, vaccines, or whatever else but that should not mean schools are forced to remove content and educational opportunities from ALL children. 

that's authoritarian and goes against the principles of academic freedom and personal discovery. 

Parent's are free to teach their children whatever they want (within reason) and take them to whatever Church they want, and read to them whatever books they want, but i am 10000% against the effort to give individual parents the ability to decide what EVERY child is able to learn and be exposed to...and even giving parents the ability to prevent their child from learning about or discovering topics they may want to learn about. 

While you advocate for parents and Churches being in control of our children's education....I'm an advocate for each individual (child or otherwise) being in control of what they are allowed to learn and have access to. Children may be forced to go to their parents church or be "forced" to believe certain things at home, but schools should be a place for academic freedom and free thought. 

• Like 1

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

Now you might say take those children to a private school, but then you’re being double taxed.  Some people can’t afford this type of option.

The Fascism label is the new racist label that has stopped working.  Bravo.

I have a feeling that you side with social communism, but I just think you are mistaken on your views.

The point of a library is to have a wealth of diverse information. Just because a book is in the library doesnt mean the school is forcing them to check it out and read it. If you are for accountability, why is it not on the parents to say they cant read book xyz instead of banning said book. Just because that book was not written for that family doesnt mean it wouldnt be useful for another. For example on the book from that twitter source, I know absolutely nothing about safe sex practices for homosexuals. If one day I have a child that is homosexual and the schools aren't teaching safe sex practices, I am having my child check out that book.

Them books needs to get burned.  You libtards is all ways supportin the homosexual agenda.  May God have mercy on your wicked, damned souls.

Your gonna turn the hole country gay.

9 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

While you advocate for parents and Churches being in control of our children's education....I'm an advocate for each individual (child or otherwise) being in control of what they are allowed to learn and have access to. Children may be forced to go to their parents church or be "forced" to believe certain things at home, but schools should be a place for academic freedom and free thought. 

Yes, this is the crux of the situation.  Over that last few years (see Loudoun County in Virginia) parents have found out what is being taught in our schools and are not happy.  This is the only thing the COVID lockdown accomplished.

Public education was to teach our children how to think not what to think.  It has been taken over by leftist creep which is slowly radicalizing what is being taught under what was thought to be a functional teacher’s union.  

Years ago sex education was added to the curriculum and it seemed to be what should be taught around the time most children started puberty.  The morphing of what was *normal* (I know *what is normal to one may not be normal to others*) or a basis from which to start is now passé and backwards.  The issue is not that gays do not exist, the issue is why would you be taught something that is not normal?  If a child is gay, that child should be allowed to express this to the people that have his best interest in mind which would be his/her parents.  No one has given that right to any teacher or school administrator.  Yet, that is exactly what has happened and parents are now just finding out.

The structure changed in secrecy and it’s time to shine the light on this ideology that is being forced (yes forced as you say) onto children who are not equipped, mentally, to handle this ideology.  Again, I’m not saying being gay is an ideology, but being trans certainly is.

Public school are not a place for academic freedom, colleges and universities are places for academic freedom.  Why?  Because when you go to an institute of higher learning, you supposedly, have the fundamentals of thought already down.  Remember, not everybody is meant to go to institutes of higher learning, so *forcing* these ideologies on children that are not ready for such ideologies is harmful.

I advocate for parents to be in control of their children as the natural order of things.  I also advocate that the public school system should teach known *elementary* subjects in elementary schools and more complex subjects with a greater degree of difficulty after that depending on the ability of the student.  All kids are not the same, yet we treat them that way.

Social constructs should never be taught in school, never.  Especially in the developmental stages of the brain.

• Facepalm 1

55 minutes ago, arein0 said:

Just because a book is in the library doesnt mean the school is forcing them to check it out and read it. If you are for accountability, why is it not on the parents to say they cant read book xyz instead of banning said book.

Telling a child (after say 10 years old) he/she can not do something is an invitation to do exactly that.  You also have the peer pressure aspect of you’re not in the know unless you read this book.

57 minutes ago, arein0 said:

If one day I have a child that is homosexual and the schools aren't teaching safe sex practices, I am having my child check out that book.

If one day you do have a child that is homosexual, buy the book for them as they can use it as a reference. 

Declaring you are gay or gender whatever I believe is not an overnight thing.  It’s a process that may or may not include the parents as a sounding board and that is unfortunate.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Telling a child (after say 10 years old) he/she can not do something is an invitation to do exactly that.  You also have the peer pressure aspect of you’re not in the know unless you read this book.

Sounds like you want excuses not parental accountability.

@AUFAN78 am I doing this right?