Freeze vs. Kiffin

LPTiger

The one big dig on Kiffin has always been his questionable commitment to recruiting. 

AU is a school that CAN recruit very well, but to do that our coaches have to work really hard at it. Kiffin has a reputation of not really wanting to work hard at recruiting. 

Like someone mentioned, maybe at a school like Ole Miss you can make it work by cobbling together a team every year through the transfer portal and a small HS class, but IMO that's never going to get you to a consistent contender level. You're just a team full of mercenaries at that point with no chemistry or culture. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The one big dig on Kiffin has always been his questionable commitment to recruiting. 

AU is a school that CAN recruit very well, but to do that our coaches have to work really hard at it. Kiffin has a reputation of not really wanting to work hard at recruiting. 

Like someone mentioned, maybe at a school like Ole Miss you can make it work by cobbling together a team every year through the transfer portal and a small HS class, but IMO that's never going to get you to a consistent contender level. You're just a team full of mercenaries at that point with no chemistry or culture. 

Excellent take on this sir. Totally agree! 

• Like 1

Negative recruiting is probably ramping up on Kiffin…he let a distraction cause a late season meltdown…how invested is he in the OM program?  He’s constantly looking around for a better deal and will probably jump if offered TAM/bama positions.  Will he be there past your 2nd year?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm really glad we didn't get Kiffin. A head coach's job is 90% recruiting at some level. You need a guy who is an extrovert and enjoys it. Or at least somebody who is just insane like Saban and can focus all the time on what he needs to do even though he's not really an extrovert.   We never would have been happy with Kiffen's lazy approach to recruiting, and he never would have been successful here with that approach. And I suspect it will eventually get him fired at Ole Miss too. And thanks to us, that will be $10 million a year they can't spend on NIL.😀😆

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

I'm really glad we didn't get Kiffin. A head coach's job is 90% recruiting at some level. You need a guy who is an extrovert and enjoys it. Or at least somebody who is just insane like Saban and can focus all the time on what he needs to do even though he's not really an extrovert.   We never would have been happy with Kiffen's lazy approach to recruiting, and he never would have been successful here with that approach. And I suspect it will eventually get him fired at Ole Miss too. And thanks to us, that will be $10 million a year they can't spend on NIL.😀😆

His buyout now at Ole Miss is said to be about $54M if they fire him.  They are stuck with him for a while 😂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/21/2022 at 10:56 PM, Mikey said:

I would have started depression meds had we hired Kiffin and tripled whatever the normal dose is had we hired Sanders.

Grimes…

giphy.webp
EmotionalOrdinaryHorsefly-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 4

I think Kiffin would have put us somewhere between Dan Mullen and Jimbo at TA&M. Super glad we did a hard pass on Lane, and glad that now we are finally on the giving end of the Gus ‘17 treatment, rather than the receiving end. Maybe we’re learning from our mistakes? 

• Like 1

I still contend that majority of Kiffin’s success in the portal has as much to do with AU as it does him. If AU had a competent coach LK would not be known as the portal king.

The potato crew being here made it easy for LK at Ole Miss. They poised absolutely no threat to any kids that wanted to transfer and play in this area. You kids that want to play closer to home our what not.  Heck Leach god rest his soul.  Didn’t strike me as somebody that was gonna go fighting for players either. I just fill like it was a perfect storm and LK cashed in on it!!

Best part, We will soon find out if my opinion is just a “hot take” or if it has any substance to it. 

Not even just the portal.  Had Harsin not be utterly stupid, Judkins would be in Auburn right now.  He basically gift wrapped that kid for Lane.  

• Like 3

Watching Ole Miss in the bowl game yesterday, man I'm sooooo glad we didn't get Kiffin. Going for it on 4th down every time, even inside his own 20 yd line in the first half. All the post game whining. I'm just not a fan of airing all that in public. Talk to the league, talk to the other coaches, and tell the public "they came to play, I didn't have our guys ready, it's all on me." As Cadillac would say, "Serve."

I hope Ole Miss enjoys him! I think we are ok with what we have, we just need to keep our nose to the grindstone, work hard at recruiting and coaching, reference the creed often, and play AU football.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, gabo4au said:

Watching Ole Miss in the bowl game yesterday, man I'm sooooo glad we didn't get Kiffin. Going for it on 4th down every time, even inside his own 20 yd line in the first half. All the post game whining. I'm just not a fan of airing all that in public. Talk to the league, talk to the other coaches, and tell the public "they came to play, I didn't have our guys ready, it's all on me." As Cadillac would say, "Serve."

I hope Ole Miss enjoys him! I think we are ok with what we have, we just need to keep our nose to the grindstone, work hard at recruiting and coaching, reference the creed often, and play AU football.

I am convinced we dodged a huge bullet by not hiring Lane.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, AEAugirl said:

His buyout now at Ole Miss is said to be about $54M if they fire him.  They are stuck with him for a while 😂

The best part of this is:  Ole Miss fought tooth & nail to keep LK there, and I'm perfectly happy with "losing" that battle.  LOL

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Imagine if we hired Kiffin, he came in and won 7 or 8 games in 2023 and then Saban retires.   Sexton would have totally gutted us to the tune of what $15-17 miilion per year for 12-15 years.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 5:12 PM, LPTiger said:

19 vs 48.   Just asking for a friend, isn't being ranked 19th a little better than being ranked 48th.  Seriously, I'm no mathematician mind you but I think there are 29 spots between 19th and 48th.   And DHF (and staff) had what 17-20 days to pull it all together whereas Lane had all year.   Plus, we saved about $3MM a year.    Just asking for a friend.

You are lucky to have suck a smart friend!

On 12/25/2022 at 1:13 AM, LPTiger said:

I would love to know if Cohen ever seriously considered LK or if Ole Miss just got Sextoned.

B.

• Like 2

I choose to believe Cohen purposefully messed with Kiffin so OM would get Sexton’d as a parting gift to his alma mater 😬

• Like 2