Meet CHF’s 1st Recruiting Class: So Far

toddc

Meet Hugh Freeze's first Auburn recruiting class

A class that bottomed out in the 90's in the 247Sports Composite team recruiting rankings in the spring and was in the 60's when Bryan Harsin was fired now sits at No. 19 after Auburn's additions.

Under interim head coach Cadillac Williams for a month and then a quick turnaround for Hugh Freeze and his staff in the final few weeks, it was an impressive turnaround for Auburn's recruiting class that was in the dumps for most of the cycle.

The class included some heavy hitters at the top and some late additions for a Merry Flipmas, including Freeze and Co. holding on to most of its inherited commitments.

Meet Auburn's early class:

DL KELDRIC FAULK

Commitment date: 12/21/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 81 overall, No. 10 DL, No. 11 AL

247Sports ranking: No. 73 overall, No. 8 DL, No. 8 AL

One of two marquee Signing Day flips, the longtime Florida State from Highland Home (Ala.) opted to stay closer to home and joined the Tigers' class. It was an effort that Zac Etheridge led to keep Auburn in it with Keldric Faulk, who visited the Plains several times over the course of the fall. Once Freeze arrived he went to work alongside new defensive line coach Jeremy Garrett to land Faulk.

Freeze: "Man, what a battle. Probably spent more time on this one than any. Just loved this kid, loved his family and, man, Ms. Lekendra is just a joy to be around and just so thrilled that they decided to trust in the vision here and to join us.

"Ton of FaceTime calls. I only get one in-home visit so the rest of it is me making sure that he feels, obviously JG is going to do a good job in doing that as did Zac, but making sure that he felt like, ‘Man, I’m a priority for not just him, but for the head coach.’ And I can’t do that with every single recruit that we have so I have to be strategic. But he was one that I was going to be on the phone morning and night, every single day, trying to convince that this was the best place for him. He had great options. Really was down to two schools and the other, I’ve got great respect for their head coach. I know he’s good at building relationships also. I think it really came down to we did a good job of building a relationship and also the gift he can give to him mom and family to be really close and do something special here at Auburn."

DL DARRON REED

Commitment date: 11/25/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 190 overall, No. 26 DL, No. 14 GA

247Sports ranking: No. 149 overall, No. 21 DL, No. 12 GA

Long regarded as a flip target from LSU, it was under Williams and the interim staff when Darron Reed actually pulled the trigger and flipped. It was one of the most impressive recruiting wins of the cycle, given the magnitude of the player and the circumstances the flip came under. In a thin defensive line room, Reed's addition can be crucial as early as next year, especially given his ability to play inside and outside on the defensive line.

Freeze: "Darron Reed, man, I think this guy's going to be a heck of a player. Loved -- one of my favorite home visits there. Just being there in that home -- I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings but that may be the best meal we've had. Huh, Zac? I don't know what was in that gravy but it was pretty special. It was a good meal. I've got to get back on my diet after this recruiting. I really love that kid, and he loves Auburn."

CB KAYIN LEE

Commitment date: 12/21/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 206 overall, No. 25 CB, No. 16 GA

247Sports ranking: No. 206 overall, No. 21 CB, No. 19 GA

Another one of Freeze's marquee flips on Wednesday, Top247 cornerback Kayin Leecapped off the day by flipping from Ohio State. Again, it was Etheridge who kept Auburn in the mix here, getting him on campus several times over the course of the fall and then shortly after Freeze was hired, Lee took an official visit to the Plains. From then on, it was a back-and-forth battle with Auburn gaining momentum, Ohio State getting momentum back and Auburn regaining momentum at the end.

Freeze: "Kayin Lee, what a big-time get there. What a football player he is, flipping him from Ohio State and out of Georgia. Mylin was an incredible dad to get to know, and just an incredible job by Zac holding us in that one and getting us to the finish line along with (Wes) McGriff and everyone else."

S SYLVESTER SMITH

Commitment date: 12/18/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 222 overall, No. 17 S, No. 16 AL

247Sports ranking: No. 21 S, No. 17 AL

Sylvester Smith showed interest in Auburn for a long time, but wasn't given the green light and eventually committed to Tennessee. Still, behind the scenes, he continued to express interest in being at Auburn. Once Auburn's new staff began to form and Smith had an existing relationship with Etheridge, Auburn jumped on Smith and kept the Munford product in-state.

Freeze: "Sylvester Smith, another DB that McGriff already had a relationship with, and once he got him on campus we were able to turn his attention to Auburn away from another league school."

S TERRANCE LOVE

Commitment date: 4/10/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 275 overall, No. 24 S, No. 25 GA

247Sports ranking: No. 28 S, No. 30 GA

The second-longest commit of Auburn's class, Terrance Love hopped on board in April and never looked back. Even in the dog days of the recruiting cycle, Love stayed loyal and kept recruiting for Auburn. He's a big, physical safety who likely slots in as a strong safety, but eventually could get a look as a moneybacker or box safety similar to Smoke Monday.

Freeze: "Terrance Love, solid, solid family, man. Stephanie and Princeton, they’re an Auburn family through and through. Stayed strong with us. One of those big safeties you need in this league that can come down and be physical."

DE WILKY DENAUD

Commitment date: 7/27/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 398 overall, No. 48 DL, No. 73 FL

247Sports ranking: No. 56 DL, No. 83 FL

If you can remember all the way back to Big Cat Weekend, it was Wilky Denaud who committed a few days beforehand to give Auburn some momentum going into the big event. Denaud committed as an edge, but has more of the frame to play a Colby Wooden role that plays more inside and shifts outside when needed.

Freeze: "Wilky — Man, what a family. Just another edge guy that I think’s going to be an outstanding player. Wonderful mom in Kimberly."

IOL CLAY WEDIN

Commitment date: 10/14/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 411 overall, No. 28 IOL, No. 76 FL

247Sports ranking: No. 56 IOL, No. 112 FL

The definition of an Auburn Man, Clay Wedinwas looking to commit in the spring but never was given the chance. He eventually landed at Michigan State and Auburn circled back on him and flipped him during the season. At the time of his commitment the coaching change was all but imminent, but Wedin said that didn't matter to him and Auburn was the spot he wanted to be. He stuck with that and now will be here in the spring.

Freeze: "Clay Wedin, another one of those in the Connor Lew mold that’s going to be an Auburn man and I think in time play a lot of football for us. Excited to get those high school offensive linemen."

IOL BRADYN JOINER

Commitment date: 1/1/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 471 overall, No. 33 IOL, No. 23 AL

247Sports ranking: No. 71 IOL, No. 39 AL

The definition of loyalty. Auburn High's Bradyn Joiner was the first commit and never wavered. In fact, he might not have even visited another school after committing to Auburn. An in-state recruit, Joiner worked to recruit others to join him and was a vocal leader for the class. And, he's a high school offensive lineman, which is something Auburn hasn't signed a lot of over the past few years.

Freeze: "Bradyn Joiner has been solid with us. One of the most solid guys since we got here, and just helped us recruit all the way through. Wonderful family. Hailey’s—All of them just love Auburn, and I’m so glad we got them."

WR DAQUAYVIOUS SOREY

Commitment date: 8/26/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 477 overall, No. 63 WR, No. 87 FL

247Sports ranking: No. 241, No. 31 WR, No. 47 FL

The lone receiver signee of the class, Daquayvious Sorey should project as a big, physical receiver who can go up and get it. Right now, Sorey is still learning how to use his size, but that combined with his speed is enough to dominate. Going from 1A football in the Florida panhandle to the SEC will be an adjustment, but the tools are there for Sorey.

Freeze: "And then Sorey, what a big-time, I think has a chance to be a big-time receiver. Long, and athletic. And hopefully get in our system and develop."

IOL CONNOR LEW

Commitment date: 12/13/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 514 overall, No. 38 IOL, No. 52 GA

247Sports ranking: No. 16 IOL, No. 33 GA

Auburn's old regime desperately wanted Connor Lew but was unable to bring in arguably the nation's top center. Once Freeze was brought in, Auburn quickly got him back on campus and he quickly flipped from Miami. With a high school GPA of 4.3, Lew is more than just a good football player. He plans to be a pilot after football, and Auburn's aviation program was a big boost in Lew's recruitment.

Freeze: "Connor Lew, one of the best centers in America out of high school. That was a hard task there to convince them that this vision here and the stability now, he was ready to come. It took us a little while but he and his family came on another visit, which they’re allowed to do, and it was awesome to get them."

CB COLTON HOOD

Commitment date: 12/13/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 530 overall, No. 54 CB, No. 53 GA

247Sports ranking: No. 47 CB, No. 44 GA

An Auburn legacy, just about everyone in Colton Hood's family has gone to Auburn. The Tigers got in late and Hood ended up committing to Michigan State, but with a consistent push from Etheridge and a second official visit, Auburn got another addition to its secondary in Hood.

Freeze: "Colton Hood, an Auburn legacy guy we were able to flip from Michigan State. He in turn helped us. Wonderful mother and father: Crystal and Bengie."

JUCO OT IZAVION MILLER

Commitment date: 12/20/22

247Sports JUCO Composite ranking: No. 11 overall, No. 4 OT, No. 4 MS

247Sports JUCO ranking: No. 23, No. 10 OT, No. 5 MS

A Signing Day Eve addition to the class, Izavion Miller originally committed to play for Jake Thornton at Ole Miss. But after Thornton was hired away by Auburn, he looked elsewhere. He looked at Mississippi State and then spent the final weekend before Signing Day in Auburn. That visit was enough for Miller to know that he wants to stick with Thornton and play at Auburn. With JUCO experience, Miller can compete for playing time right away.

Freeze: "Big TooTall Miller — Izavion. You’re going to love this kid. He brings joy around him. Jake and Joe (Bernardi) did an incredible job of winning that battle and recruiting him against other SEC programs. He’s a guy that we need to play right away. We’re excited to have him too.

CB JC HART

Commitment date: 8/12/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 677 overall, No. 68 CB, No. 30 AL

247Sports ranking: No. 50 CB, No. 24 AL

Shortly after Big Cat Weekend, JC Hart made it official that he'd be an Auburn Tiger. The Loachapoka native has described Auburn as his dream school, and even used to ask his mom to drive past Jordan-Hare Stadium when he was little just to see it. Now with impressive size and 4.37 40-yard speed, Hart is a dynamic piece to Auburn. He played wide receiver and cornerback for Loachapoka, and he committed as a cornerback, but Freeze is looking at both options. Schools like USC, Oklahoma State and UCF made late pushes, but Auburn held on.

Freeze: "You think about JC Hart here locally who's a 4.3 speed who stayed strong with us. I'm really not sure if this guy plays DB or receiver. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands. I'm kind of anxious to get here and see."

OT TYLER JOHNSON

Commitment date: 12/11/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 688 overall, No. 53 OT, No. 27 LA

247Sports ranking: No. 41 OT, No. 23 LA

Still a somewhat raw offensive lineman, Tyler Johnson is actually the type of prospect Auburn has failed to sign over the past few years to keep the offensive line cupboard restocked. Johnson has an NFL offensive tackle frame and could be a starter for Auburn in a few years. Johnson was somewhat neglected by the previous staff, but quickly brought in for a visit when Freeze arrived and he flipped his commitment from Texas Tech.

Freeze: "Tyler Johnson, we think this guy’s going to be, in time — I don’t think he’s ready-made — but he is exactly what you’re looking for in an offensive tackle. Out of Louisiana and we were able to get him and hopefully we will develop him into being a two, three-year starter when he gets in our program here."

EDGE BRENTON WILLIAMS

Commitment date: 11/28/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 778 overall, No. 73 edge, No. 31 AL

247Sports ranking: No. 61 edge, No. 27 AL

Brenton Williams slipped through the cracks for a good portion of the process until eventually, some Power Five programs found him. He was committed to Coastal Carolina, but an Auburn offer was enough for him to change his mind and stay close to home. Williams is brought in as an edge, but like Denaud, could be more of a defensive end than a true edge.

Freeze: "Another edge guy. Some of these edge guys I hope grow into being like four-I’s also in time. But I just love their dynamic ability."

QUIENTRAIL JAMISON-TRAVIS

DT STEPHEN JOHNSON

Commitment date: 12/18/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 1,367 overall, No. 149 DL, No. 131 GA

247Sports ranking: No. 110 DL, No. 91 GA

Another one of the late additions to Auburn's class, Stephen Johnson camped at Auburn over the summer but was never offered. Arkansas offered, though, and he committed to the Hogs. But when Auburn and Freeze offered, he was quick to jump on the opportunity to stay closer to home and flipped after an official visit.

Freeze: "Stephen Johnson, another kid that was committed to an in-conference school. They just fell in love with Auburn on the visit. We need big bodies, and this kid's a big body, for sure."

QB HANK BROWN

Commitment date: 12/20/22

247Sports Composite ranking: No. 1,376 overall, No. 69 QB, No. 38 TN

247Sports ranking: No. 58 QB, No. 33 TN

The lone transplant from Liberty's recruiting class, Freeze and Auburn's staff felt confident enough in Hank Brown's ability to extend him an offer at Auburn, which he jumped on. With Keyone Jenkins going back to FIU, it was a needed signing to provide quarterback depth. But Freeze thinks in a few years Brown can be more than that.

Freeze: "I’m big on not signing a quarterback that I haven’t seen throw. I’m very uncomfortable about that. And I’ve witnessed this guy make every single throw that you need to make. And he is a heck of a guy, great family, and is going to be a great addition to our locker room and leadership and see how he competes to throw the football, because he really has an NFL arm. I’ve witnessed it with my own eyes."

VANDERBILT EDGE TRANSFER ELIJAH MCALLISTER

8COMMENTS

The former Vandy defensive end also made things official and signed with Auburn on Wednesday. He committed on Tuesday.

Freeze: "A two-time team captain in this conference at another school. Excited to have him. I think he’s going to bring some maturity to that side of the ball, some leadership for these young guys who I think are incredibly talented."

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

• toddc changed the title to Meet CHF’s 1st Recruiting Class: So Far