Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

aubiefifty

Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

Nathan King
4–5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama — Hugh Freeze’s 2023 starting quarterback could very well be on Auburn’s current roster, but it’s still not a shocker that the Tigers’ new head coach wants to evaluate and add at least another passer from the transfer market.

On a day Auburn added more depth to its quarterback room — with the signing of 3-star and former Liberty commit Hank Brown — Freeze said, after Auburn’s lone transfer QB visitor so far signed elsewhere, that he and his offensive staff are committed to bringing in a transfer quarterback, and will continue to evaluate available players at the position moving forward.

Yes, we are (going to seek a transfer QB),” Freeze said Wednesday during his signing day press conference. “If it's the right one, that we believe we can win games with.”

The No. 1 quarterback in the 247Sports transfer rankings, NC State’s Devin Leary, officially visited Auburn over the weekend but committed to and signed with Kentucky this week.

Freeze was also set to welcome another elite signal-caller, Coastal Carolina transfer Grayson McCall, last weekend before his visit was nixed at the last minute. Auburn Undercover has reported that an academic snag led to McCall’s canceled visit, with the prolific passer (77 touchdowns and seven interceptions in three seasons as a starter) needing a significant amount of credits before he’d be eligible to play at Auburn.

So with signing day now mostly wrapped up for Auburn in the high-school ranks — save for a couple expected additions — Freeze and his staff will return to their transfer board after a couple days off for the holidays and redirect their attention onto other quarterback targets.

“We've gone back and forth on our rankings of them, and we're kind of looking at that list right now,” Freeze said. “And (we’ve been) in conversations with the next man up, and hopefully we'll get the right one.”

Transfer visits can resume Jan. 4. Some of the top transfer QBs currently uncommitted are Hudson Card (Texas), Brennan Armstrong (Virginia) and Luke Altmyer (Ole Miss).

Auburn returns Robby Ashford, who threw for seven touchdowns and seven picks in nine starts, in addition to former LSU transfer T.J. Finley and 4-star redshirt freshman Holden Geriner.

“I think it comes from our system,” Freeze said earlier this month of his past success with quarterbacks. “I think I teach in a way that helps them understand the game, and where the game should be played on a given play post-snap — which is a little different. Not a lot of coaches feel good about giving up that control. But I’ve got to believe I can teach it well enough for our quarterbacks to know, ‘Alright, coach has taught me post-snap, this safety is the insert player, this is the field I need to play on.’ I think (his system) is quarterback-friendly as long as they can be a fundamentally accurate passer.”

A late addition to the class, committing Tuesday, Brown is rated as the No. 69 quarterback in the class out of Nashville, where he won a state title playing for Trent Difler at Lipscomb Academy.

Brown, who tossed 47 touchdowns to just three interceptions on 73 percent passing last season, had been committed to Liberty since June.

“I’m big on not signing a quarterback that I haven’t seen throw,” Freeze said. “I’m very uncomfortable about that. And I’ve witnessed this guy make every single throw that you need to make. And he is a heck of a guy, great family, and is going to be a great addition to our locker room and leadership and see how he competes to throw the football, because he really has an NFL arm. I’ve witnessed it with my own eyes.”

*** HOLIDAY SPECIAL: Get 50% off Auburn Undercover subscription (with FREE Paramount+) ***

Cal's QB (Plummer) is in the portal as well.  Not sure if we're interested in a West Coast type QB??

Collegiate Career (2018 - Present)
– Has played in 33 games with 24 starts in his collegiate career spanning four campaigns at Purdue (2018-21) and one at Cal (2022) and completed 601-of-943 passes (63.7%) for 6500 yards with 47 touchdowns and 19 interceptions for a 134.1 rating

Spencer Sanders or I would love it if Hartman or Leonard would enter the portal.  Of the one's listed above.......Card, Armstrong, Altmyer in that order.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Out of those three mentioned in the article, card has more starts and better numbers.

But Card wasn't playing for UVA, and they stink at this game.

A pretty good QB who has a poor supporting cast.

Kid can play.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Kid can play.

Yeah… I’ve always followed and pulled for UVA. You just think Bo and others took a beating here…. That is nothing compared to the abuse Armstrong took. The kid is tough and can play.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

Kid can play.

Your probably correct. For us we only have data to look at. Coming out of HS Card was higher rated too. But obviously Freeze and associates have best angle to determine value/potential.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

I would love to have card here.

I’m with you. Ewers is starting at Texas because of the optics and NIL. Card is very solid. Plus, I’m good friends with his aunt. 😅

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Card would be my pick, hands down. Athletic, high 4* kid. Probably has two years eligibility, if not more. Most sought after of remaining portal QBs. He would be a great fit but unfortunately, he's probably a long shot for AU right now. We offered him in 2020 like almost every big time program. Maybe CHF can pull one more rabbit out of the hat. Our winning streak has taken a few hits in last couple of days. Actually we need at least 3 or 4 rabbits to make some noise next fall in SEC. I think we have the coaches to do it. Just need a few more Jimmys and Joes.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Been up and down on him. He was apparently injured a lot this year and really limited in a lot of games

Super athletic, runs pretty well. Biggest knock is he can be pretty inaccurate at times

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Been up and down on him. He was apparently injured a lot this year and really limited in a lot of games

Super athletic, runs pretty well. Biggest knock is he can be pretty inaccurate at times

Would be awesome if we had a QB and everyone was amazed by his accuracy and poise.

• Haha 1

Just now, AUDevil said:

Would be awesome if we had a QB and everyone was amazed by his accuracy and poise.

That would be something 

18 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Is his arm strong?

I google that ans seems to be conflicting info. Some draft sites said it wasn't and he had to wind up to throw it 15yds. Others said he can throw with good velocity all over the field.

On 12/22/2022 at 6:01 PM, penguin149 said:

Cal's QB (Plummer) is in the portal as well.  Not sure if we're interested in a West Coast type QB??

Collegiate Career (2018 - Present)
– Has played in 33 games with 24 starts in his collegiate career spanning four campaigns at Purdue (2018-21) and one at Cal (2022) and completed 601-of-943 passes (63.7%) for 6500 yards with 47 touchdowns and 19 interceptions for a 134.1 rating

Not to mention he can play against them next season lol

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd rather have Card over Spenser 

Neither are super exciting, but better than what we have or could get (missing on the top 3-5 other options for various reasons)