Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

aubiefifty

13 minutes ago, SECTigerGal said:

I trust CHF to evaluate the available QB portal talent. That said, I would love to see Card end up a Tiger. His performance against Bama under the worst circumstances was very impressive!

We use his worst game all season & prop it up b/c it was vs Bama...make him out to being a good QB in our minds like everyone convinced themselves Calzada was good bc "he beat bama".

Card had other good games, but when Ewers went down (after leading them to a few scores) Card was pretty unimpressive.  At least Spencer is a threat running.  Not sure either have a big arm

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your point is taken but I like to factor in a kids composure under those circumstances. Not just because it was Bama, but it was a huge game on a national stage. I thought he did well. Just my opinion. WDE

• Like 2

On 12/24/2022 at 11:21 AM, SECTigerGal said:

I trust CHF to evaluate the available QB portal talent. That said, I would love to see Card end up a Tiger. His performance against Bama under the worst circumstances was very impressive!

Committed to Perdue

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

Committed to Perdue

The chicken farm???

:poke:  couldn't resist. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, W.E.D said:

Neither are super exciting, but better than what we have or could get (missing on the top 3-5 other options for various reasons)

Looks like Card is heading to Purdue and Hartman is heading to Notre Dame. Not many left to choose from. I’m afraid QB next year is once again going to be a problem for AU. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Looks like Card is heading to Purdue and Hartman is heading to Notre Dame. Not many left to choose from. I’m afraid QB next year is once again going to be a problem for AU. 

Take a chill pill. It will work itself out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Card is bleh, I'd rather go with a hopefully improved Ashford

Spencer will be a big upgrade. He's not an amazing passer, but solid, and he can still use his legs to run.

I'd love the Wake QB, but ND stole him and committed some light tampering.

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Card is bleh, I'd rather go with a hopefully improved Ashford

Spencer will be a big upgrade. He's not an amazing passer, but solid, and he can still use his legs to run.

I'd love the Wake QB, but ND stole him and committed some light tampering.

I did read about the tampering. I like Spencer as well, but not many on here seem to share that sentiment. 

Sanders would certainly be an upgrade, but I think there will be some better candidates. Just not sure we can attract one of them. Most of them seem to already be spoken for.

ND, Bama, USC, Miami, TX & Okla have been NCAA-teflon for decades and are poster-children in the new, unregulated art of tampering.

Edited by aucanucktiger
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

ND, Bama, USC, Miami, TX & Okla have been NCAA-teflon for decades and are poster-children in the new, unregulated art of tampering.

And UGA.

Sanders would be good.  
Ive heard talk about Leonard from Duke.  But he may go pro?   I would be very happy with him.   
I also like Nuss from LSU if he decides to go.   
I think the uga guys are going to stay through the spring to see who will be their 23 starter.  I don’t know if we’re willing to wait that long.  🤷‍♂️

On 12/31/2022 at 8:01 AM, AUinMS9528 said:

Sanders would be good.  
Ive heard talk about Leonard from Duke.  But he may go pro?   I would be very happy with him.   
I also like Nuss from LSU if he decides to go.   
I think the uga guys are going to stay through the spring to see who will be their 23 starter.  I don’t know if we’re willing to wait that long.  🤷‍♂️

In my opinion, I think we take Sanders. He’s not the best but he is better that what we have. He also fits this offense. 
…yes, we would love to have Leonard, but he is going to stay at Duke. He’s not old enough to go to the draft. The Tulane quarterback has already said he is staying. 
let’s see who visits next weekend…

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

In my opinion, I think we take Sanders. He’s not the best but he is better that what we have. He also fits this offense. 
…yes, we would love to have Leonard, but he is going to stay at Duke. He’s not old enough to go to the draft. The Tulane quarterback has already said he is staying. 
let’s see who visits next weekend…

I would be glad to obtain Sanders. We just have to get him on Campus and in person to have our chance.

11 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I would be glad to obtain Sanders. We just have to get him on Campus and in person to have our chance.

And offer the right NIL package.  We will sign a QB from the portal - probably in the next 10 days.  He won't be as good as McCall, but he'll be better than what we have now.

Edited by TigerVII
Spelling

Is Sanders really better than what’s on the roster assuming his conditions were better than Robby. Auburn had poor oline play and confirmed he was playing while injured. Holden is the wild card in all of this. Looking at Sanders stats he has regressed and has a high turnover rate. If he is doing that in the big 12 imagine what it’s going to look like in the SEC

Unpopular opinion but Bo statistically speaking is much than Sanders

Personally, I hope Robby improves or Holden wins the job. 

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TigerVII said:

And offer the right NIL package.  We will sign a QB from the portal - probably in the next 10 days.  He won't be as good as McCall, but he'll be better than what we have now.

I agree with your assessment. I don't believe Sanders is the answer though. Hope I'm wrong.  However most of us agree he would certainly be better than what we have now.

15 hours ago, e808 said:

Is Sanders really better than what’s on the roster assuming his conditions were better than Robby. Auburn had poor oline play and confirmed he was playing while injured. Holden is the wild card in all of this. Looking at Sanders stats he has regressed and has a high turnover rate. If he is doing that in the big 12 imagine what it’s going to look like in the SEC

Unpopular opinion but Bo statistically speaking is much than Sanders

Personally, I hope Robby improves or Holden wins the job. 

Like you I worry about the fact that Sanders regressed from year to year and had a high turnover rate. I don't have the answer but is the regression due to QB or players around him like O-line and Receivers. Did the offensive system change? Also did the defense regress forcing him to have to do more to have a chance to win?

Stats are great but only if you have context.  Bo behind a better line at Oregon, better receivers, and a better system looked a whole lot better this year than when at Auburn. He quit bailing out as much and  he hit the deep passes that he missed when at Auburn. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Like you I worry about the fact that Sanders regressed from year to year and had a high turnover rate. I don't have the answer but is the regression due to QB or players around him like O-line and Receivers. Did the offensive system change? Also did the defense regress forcing him to have to do more to have a chance to win?

Stats are great but only if you have context.  Bo behind a better line at Oregon, better receivers, and a better system looked a whole lot better this year than when at Auburn. He quit bailing out as much and  he hit the deep passes that he missed when at Auburn. 

Yes but Bo improved every single year . Sanders played at the same school and same coach Bo has played for 3 different coaches and still improved. Some may disagree but had he finished 2021 Auburns record would have been better. Had he given another year Harsin might still a job so it worked out for all involved.

Robby was one to one in his stats this year(sanders career 60 something tds to 40 something picks).He was also playing musical chairs at the quarterback position with Finley. He had a coach with no clue, less than stellar oline and played games while being injured. Just looking at overall stats Sanders is just as likely to turn the ball over as Robby. Sanders can be brought in to compete but shouldn’t be a lock at the position over Robby or Holden. That’s just my half a cent opinion 

• Like 1

We are not looking for a Bo Nix prospect at this point . I imagine , unless we can get the Tulane guy, we are looking for a QB with some maturity and experience as a stop gap. This will benefit RA the most IMO. He is still very raw.

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TigerVII said:

I would welcome that happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

We are not looking for a Bo Nix prospect at this point . I imagine , unless we can get the Tulane guy, we are looking for a QB with some maturity and experience as a stop gap. This will benefit RA the most IMO. He is still very raw.

Looks like Tulane Quarterback is out the question. He is staying put

17 hours ago, e808 said:

Is Sanders really better than what’s on the roster assuming his conditions were better than Robby. Auburn had poor oline play and confirmed he was playing while injured. 

This is a silly question and some of you really need to come back down to earth on Ashford.

Here is your reality: Sanders is a 4-year P5 starter who has actually completed passes at a ~62-63% rate prior to this past season. 2022 was actually the "outlier" for him, and even then, his "bad" season resulted in an ~8% higher completion percentage than Ashford's woefully bad 49% completion percentage this past season.

Robby Ashford is a third year player who was running 4th string at Oregon before he transferred to Auburn. At Auburn, he was a 3rd string player behind two very average QB's in TJ Finley and Zach Calzada. He could not beat out TJ Finley for the starting job out of fall camp, and don't forget that Calzada suffered a freak non-football injury to his shoulder which is the only reason why Ashford was able to play in the first place. Calzada himself is a QB who came here because he could not beat out a woefully average Haynes King at Texas A&M.

So you are essentially asking whether or not a guy who hasn't been able to win a legitimate QB competition at two schools and has spent his entire career as a 3rd/4th stringer is "as good" as a multi-year P5 starter at a Top 25 program. When Ashford did get to play this season, the results line up with why he was where he was on the depth chart at Oregon, and why he couldn't even unseat TJ Finley here: 49% completion, as many INT's as he had passing TD's, and this one is less obvious: he was actually among the national leaders in fumbles this past season with something like 8 or 9. He is highly inaccurate and VERY turnover prone. That is the worst combo you can have at QB.

Spencer Sanders is turnover prone himself and is far from perfect, but he is absolutely an upgrade on Ashford and actually has some track record of success. What did we do offensively once Harsin was let go? They basically warped the offense back in time and started running a throwback 1950's/1060's offense that utilized Ashford as essentially a 3rd RB. Look at his stats with Carnell as the interim: he had nearly as many rushing attempts as he did passing attempts. They did this because he was woefully inefficient throwing the football, and thus the only chance we had to compete offensively was to play a throwback run-dominant offense. This is NOT a good implication for Ashford's ability as an actual QB, and it obviously correlated with Freeze's pursuit of high-end transfer portal starters. 

Too much is made of the supposed lack of offensive system for Ashford and now his injury, when you need to simply look at where he was on the actual depth chart at two different P5 schools and the glaring flaws he showed as the starter this past season. He plays hard and is very athletic, but he is SO far behind in terms of actual ability to play the QB position. These are actually flaws that he showed back in HS as well; hence why he had to go to Oregon. He is an athlete trying to play QB, and if you actually evaluate intently, pretty much all of his actual positive plays from this past season came on broken plays wherein he was able to do something with his legs enough for a pass to open for him. You can't rely on that type of QB play to compete in this league, or really anywhere at the P5 level.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4