Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

aubiefifty

15 hours ago, metafour said:

What does Gus have to do with Ashford who over 3 seasons had not been able to make any dent on the depth chart at Oregon and transferred to Auburn, and then only got on the field at Auburn because everything collapsed and the guy they actually brought in to start (Calzada) opted to have surgery instead of playing? For the millionth time, Ashford didn't even beat out TJ Finley for the starting job. TJ Finley himself came to Auburn because he was 3rd string at LSU. 

These are some of the weakest arguments I have ever seen.

Are we now implying that Hugh Freeze can just turn ANYONE into a good QB? That isn't how this works at all. Just because Freeze is a good QB coach,it does NOT mean that Robby Ashford is magically fixed.

You never even acknowledge how bad the OL has been for the last 4-5 years and how that impacts QB performance. It's a big part of the problem whether you know it or not and appears to have been upgraded. So yes, maybe there is hope for Ashford.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gman87 said:

You never even acknowledge how bad the OL has been for the last 4-5 years and how that impacts QB performance. It's a big part of the problem whether you know it or not and appears to have been upgraded. So yes, maybe there is hope for Ashford.

Do you believe that every single bad QB is just a product of poor OL play? 

I don't need to bring up bad OL play because this is obvious and everyone knows it.

I've also seen enough football to know that trying to explain away Ashford's problems by blaming it on other position groups is a farfetched proposition. We actually do have a reference point because Bo Nix played behind largely the exact same OL and surrounding talent, and he was consistently much better than Ashford was.

So yes, Ashford should theoretically play better in a better offensive system with better blocking. But what is your expectation for him and this team? Him playing at an "average" level still isn't good enough if you have any expectation of actually beating good teams.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

Ashford’s problem wasn’t the Oline.  He regularly completed <50% of his passes and a couple games it was more like 30%.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ole Miss site says today that Spencer Sanders is down to them and AU.. They question why he would come to Ole Miss since Dart is there

I feel he is just using it as leverage for Ole Mess.  I think the chances of Sanders ending up at AU are slim to none.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ole Miss site says today that Spencer Sanders is down to them and AU.. They question why he would come to Ole Miss since Dart is there

Lane doesn't want Dart

40 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

They landed Walker Howard today so Sanders going there with Dart and Howard seems very unlikely. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We should know in the next 24 hours.  Today is the last day to enroll/add /drop classes at AU.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If common thought is to be believed Auburn has never offered Sanders.

This whole give Ashford a chance argument seems strange. Why not recruit the best qb we can get and let the two battle it out in spring or Fall camp. Maybe Ashfrd will improve. maybe he won't. But right now we need contingency plans

• Like 2

Looks like Florida's top QB recruit is about to be back on the market.   His NIL deal fell thru and he didn't enroll in classes.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/top-florida-recruit-requests-release-from-letter-intent-after-massive-nil-deal-falls-through-report

24 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Looks like Florida's top QB recruit is about to be back on the market.   His NIL deal fell thru and he didn't enroll in classes.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/top-florida-recruit-requests-release-from-letter-intent-after-massive-nil-deal-falls-through-report

The situation could have further ramifications as Rashada’s representatives could file a lawsuit against the Gator Collective and potentially the Florida athletic department, per the AP. 

WOW.  Grab your popcorn. 

8 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

The situation could have further ramifications as Rashada’s representatives could file a lawsuit against the Gator Collective and potentially the Florida athletic department, per the AP. 

WOW.  Grab your popcorn. 

Imagine filing a lawsuit against an NIL collective + an athletic department because an NIL contract didn't live up to its particulars BEFORE you ever enroll at the school.  And now we see the prospect hold the school hostage and won't enroll.  LOL

IF the NCAA needed any ammo for getting this NIL (pay for play) thing in order, this is it.  Isn't it supposed to be against NCAA rules for NIL to be used in recruiting?   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

IF the NCAA needed any ammo for getting this NIL (pay for play) thing in order, this is it.  Isn't it supposed to be against NCAA rules for NIL to be used in recruiting?   

lol thinking the NCAA has any true authority 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Imagine filing a lawsuit against an NIL collective + an athletic department because an NIL contract didn't live up to its particulars BEFORE you ever enroll at the school.  And now we see the prospect hold the school hostage and won't enroll.  LOL

Many states have “offers to induce” laws, not sure about FL but this whole situations is insane and honestly makes UF look VERY bad.

Whether we like it or not NIL is a part of college sports and to make a recruit promises then pull the rug out from under them is probably going to really hurt UF’s recruiting going forward. 

I know the offer is insane, but if UF wasn’t going to honor it they should not have offered it in the first place. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It would of course depend on the particulars, but if there was a contract or formal agreement between this collective and the player and then the collective decides to back out at the last minute, why should the player not have a recourse?  

I know it makes the player look like a "mercenary" of a sorts and I personally wouldn't care for AU to go after this guy or get involved in this whole mess, but I could understand why a player may seek legal action, especially when so much money is on the line. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Possibly. I’ve been reading on the Ole Miss boards the last two days that his grades would not transfer to Auburn. That is according to them. Everyone agrees that he has not visited and we have not offered, but once again, I just don’t think he could get into Auburn even if he wanted to (or if HF even wanted him). 
Ole Miss is like Uat- very easy to get into that school. 

What exactly are AU's academic entrance requirements for athletes compared to other SEC schools?   

IF Auburn is so much more strenuous and difficult to gain acceptance, WHY?  

3 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Many states have “offers to induce” laws, not sure about FL but this whole situations is insane and honestly makes UF look VERY bad.

Whether we like it or not NIL is a part of college sports and to make a recruit promises then pull the rug out from under them is probably going to really hurt UF’s recruiting going forward. 

I know the offer is insane, but if UF wasn’t going to honor it they should not have offered it in the first place. 

I'm not sure UF pulled the rug, but the NIL collective may have reneged.  They offered $3.2MM/yr to a high school QB which is insane.  From what I read, the kid's attorney added in a 2.25% commission on the gross deal of $13MM and the Rashada's refused to pay him out of their cut.  

This could all be far-fetched, but I honestly don't see where this kid lands at this point.  Who else is going to pay that kind of $$ and he dang sure won't be a spring semester enrollee now. 

11 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Yes, any way they go florida comes out of this looking awful ... I love it :)

• Like 3

This is what u get when u have no legislation over NIL..Everyone saw this coming. This was not how NIL was intended to be used. Like most everything else in society,  no rules turns everything into the wild west.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

It would of course depend on the particulars, but if there was a contract or formal agreement between this collective and the player and then the collective decides to back out at the last minute, why should the player not have a recourse?  

I know it makes the player look like a "mercenary" of a sorts and I personally wouldn't care for AU to go after this guy or get involved in this whole mess, but I could understand why a player may seek legal action, especially when so much money is on the line. 

UF's NIL Collective acted on behalf of UF and they negotiated a deal for the kid contingent on him signing and LOI to enroll and play for UF. 

It's not clear exactly who backed out of the deal.  But I could totally see an NIL Collective cutting deals on their own and the actual school may not be privy to all of the particulars of the contract and then the school literally gets burned both publicly and privately when a deal breaks down.