Auburn 'in conversations' with more QBs on transfer board

aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Yes, any way they go florida comes out of this looking awful ... I love it :)

The kid and his dad don't look too good either. A lot of greed involved on their part. If I were AD or HC, I wouldn't touch this kid with a 20 foot pole. Let him go back to Cali and see what other offers he gets.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Yes, any way they go florida comes out of this looking awful ... I love it :)

I agree it looks awful.

If anything, it's a lesson for other programs.  Every coaching staff AND Athletic Department needs to know what your NIL Collective is doing and how they are operating.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cctiger said:

The kid and his dad don't look too good either. A lot of greed involved on their part. If I were AD or HC, I wouldn't touch this kid with a 20 foot pole. Let him go back to Cali and see what other offers he gets.

Yep.   There are a ton of folks wanting their cut of that rumored $13MM deal.  Agents, representatives, attorneys, parents, etc. want a piece of the pie.  This kid shopped and his parents picked the highest bidder, now it looks like they may have to go back on the market and wait a few months for another auction.  I'll be curious to see which programs will be willing to pony up this time around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoffeeTiger said:

It would of course depend on the particulars, but if there was a contract or formal agreement between this collective and the player and then the collective decides to back out at the last minute, why should the player not have a recourse?  

I know it makes the player look like a "mercenary" of a sorts and I personally wouldn't care for AU to go after this guy or get involved in this whole mess, but I could understand why a player may seek legal action, especially when so much money is on the line. 

He committed to Florida, probably more so for the NIL than anything else. If Florida had been honest with him he could have committed elsewhere, but now the spots are gone. Why shouldn't he sue? That's a big deal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Yep.   There are a ton of folks wanting their cut of that rumored $13MM deal.  Agents, representatives, attorneys, parents, etc. want a piece of the pie.  This kid shopped and his parents picked the highest bidder, now it looks like they may have to go back on the market and wait a few months for another auction.  I'll be curious to see which programs will be willing to pony up this time around. 

It's almost like you should pick the school that is the best fit for you, not who pays you more. Crazy thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

It's almost like you should pick the school that is the best fit for you, not who pays you more. Crazy thought.

Of course, but unfortunately a lot of these kids are just tools for family members to use as a meal ticket. The kid is just a victim in the whole process, but he'll bear the brunt of the backlash.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

What exactly are AU's academic entrance requirements for athletes compared to other SEC schools?   

IF Auburn is so much more strenuous and difficult to gain acceptance, WHY?  

Honestly I have no idea. Just repeating what they said. 
I can tell you this- AU is one of the toughest Sec schools to get into right now from a new student standpoint. Not sure about athletes. 
you can fill out your application in crayon to get into Ole Miss and Uat. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

Your assuming “greed” based on what? I don’t have much info (and it’s definitely not good info), but don’t see it any different than any if the others except they are trying to renege on the agreement.

53 minutes ago, metafour said:

Of course, but unfortunately a lot of these kids are just tools for family members to use as a meal ticket. The kid is just a victim in the whole process, but he'll bear the brunt of the backlash.

Yep. I highly doubt many of these young adults are doing the negotiating here. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Honestly I have no idea. Just repeating what they said. 
I can tell you this- AU is one of the toughest Sec schools to get into right now from a new strident standpoint. Not sure about athletes. 
you can fill out your application in crayon to get into Ole Miss and Uat. 

Ok, I thought you had the actual admittance requirements on hand. 

IMHO, Auburn Athletics has a major problem IF they choose to adhere to much more rigorous admittance standard than our main SEC rivals.  WHY self-impose restrictions for athletes when at the same time you pour hundreds of millions into athletics to be competitive? 

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Your assuming “greed” based on what?

The 2.25% the attorney wants out of the deal(on previous page posted by JerryAU). Who pays it? Kid/Dad don't want to. So, NIL collective don't want to. UF shouldn't have too. If someone is paying me 13 mil and I've got an attorney to seal the deal, I'll gladly pay 2.25% to MY attorney and smile all the way to the bank with the rest. Greed on the Dad/kids part.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

Your assuming “greed” based on what? I don’t have much info (and it’s definitely not good info), but don’t see it any different than any if the others except they are trying to renege on the agreement.

It's well known where he is from that his dad is basically shopping him to the highest bidder and looking for his retirement ticket, hence why his entire recruitment revolved around that (originally committed to Miami and their massive NIL collective, then flipped once this massive offer came from Florida...which we now know isn't actually real lol).

It's within their right to treat his recruitment however they wish to treat it, but this is the most obvious example of the parent-looking-for-a-payout trope that was obviously going to bear it's head once NIL became a real thing. I don't think there was much thought throughout this entire process in terms of what the best school for his actual football future was.

• Like 2

What a fascinating gray cloud the NIL dynamics are creating. When do we see NIL co-ops begin to intentionally bait and drop kids in an effort to negatively impact other programs recruiting efforts???? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Full disclosure: I haven't been following it closely so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. 

The family of this kid and the kid himself aren't the only ones that look bad. If Florida's NIL collective promised a figure and backed out when the kid had no other options, then that is amateurish. If Auburn's NIL collective did that, there would be talk of Auburn not being able to recruit kids within 100 miles of that school. If the shady part of the business is what's rumored then there will be consequences for this action on Florida's part. There should be. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Full disclosure: I haven't been following it closely so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. 

The family of this kid and the kid himself aren't the only ones that look bad. If Florida's NIL collective promised a figure and backed out when the kid had no other options, then that is amateurish. If Auburn's NIL collective did that, there would be talk of Auburn not being able to recruit kids within 100 miles of that school. If the shady part of the business is what's rumored then there will be consequences for this action on Florida's part. There should be. 

It already has had a backlash. Florida desperately wanted Walker Howard and he was looking for a decent NIL. Nobody. Is trusting them. 

• Like 1

It's great to see that we now have Rashada to argue about. At least I'll see a different argument that has nothing to do with Auburn "in conversations" with portal QBs. Don't really mean to be an ass but some of us don't live on here and just check in for new info. Well, War Eagle!  I'm getting close to the "get off my lawn" age anyway .....😄

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

The 2.25% the attorney wants out of the deal(on previous page posted by JerryAU). Who pays it? Kid/Dad don't want to. So, NIL collective don't want to. UF shouldn't have too. If someone is paying me 13 mil and I've got an attorney to seal the deal, I'll gladly pay 2.25% to MY attorney and smile all the way to the bank with the rest. Greed on the Dad/kids part.

Your assumption of “his attorney “ (from what I read anyway) is just that. Sounds like he was told he would get an amount and they were trying to back it down. Doubt they came to the recruitment with their own lawyer but maybe.

Edited by Hank2020

1 hour ago, metafour said:

It's well known where he is from that his dad is basically shopping him to the highest bidder and looking for his retirement ticket, hence why his entire recruitment revolved around that (originally committed to Miami and their massive NIL collective, then flipped once this massive offer came from Florida...which we now know isn't actually real lol).

It's within their right to treat his recruitment however they wish to treat it, but this is the most obvious example of the parent-looking-for-a-payout trope that was obviously going to bear it's head once NIL became a real thing. I don't think there was much thought throughout this entire process in terms of what the best school for his actual football future was.

Florida or Miami is certainly not poor choices for where a qb plays. For that matter most power 5 schools should work pretty well for a high 4star athelete.

5 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

He committed to Florida, probably more so for the NIL than anything else. If Florida had been honest with him he could have committed elsewhere, but now the spots are gone. Why shouldn't he sue? That's a big deal

He had a $9.5M deal at Miami before he flipped to UF. 

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Your assumption of “his attorney “ (from what I read anyway) is just that. Sounds like he was told he would get an amount and they were trying to back it down. Doubt they came to the recruitment with their own lawyer but maybe.

Well they had Darren Heitner negotiating it, he is the one that built in the fee for himself.  He is an attorney/sports agent.  UF refused to pay it….apparently it was overlooked by the collective when the NIL deal was finalized.  

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

It's great to see that we now have Rashada to argue about. At least I'll see a different argument that has nothing to do with Auburn "in conversations" with portal QBs. Don't really mean to be an ass but some of us don't live on here and just check in for new info. Well, War Eagle!  I'm getting close to the "get off my lawn" age anyway .....😄

My sentiments exactly...Why is this being discussed in this thread??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

What a fascinating gray cloud the NIL dynamics are creating. When do we see NIL co-ops begin to intentionally bait and drop kids in an effort to negatively impact other programs recruiting efforts???? 

great point—I’ve been saying this ever since the Cam Newton saga. All I’ve got to do is pretend to be an influential representative of Auburn’s collective and say I’ve got X more $s than Bama can offer. The big downside here is that it would make Auburn embarrassed, and future parents/kids wouldn’t want to be given the same treatment that kid got. 

45 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

My sentiments exactly...Why is this being discussed in this thread??

I agree but there is nothing else to talk about when it comes to our QBs. Our quarterbacks for this spring are going to be the same as last spring. RA, HG, and Finley. No change. 
Other schools are not closed yet for enrollment for the spring, so it will be interesting to find out what happens.