Hypothetical QB value?

aujohnson

5 hours ago, AU North said:

To finish my thought before my fingers got in the way: To establish basic ground rules for all to live by and satisfy the courts, my guess is some form of a Players Union with a CBA.  JMO  WDE

I think the huge roadblock for this taking place is as employees they will all have to be covered under some type of forever medical coverage (by forever, I mean existing condition coverage).

I would offer someone like the Tulane QB $500,000+, up to a million if that is what it takes. I know he is not going anywhere, but we need a game changer at QB. A stud QB can change the entire trajectory of a football program for years to come. If it works, a million is a drop in a bucket. 

So if you were to put a cap on it…say one million for example. It seems like that could possibly reign it in a little and even though the under table money would be a factor again it seems like it would be much more difficult to give a player enough money to make a difference without leaving a trail of some kind. 
Before all this it seems like it would have been easy to influence a player with a few thousand dollars…not so much now maybe. 🤔

Or maybe that’s totally off base. 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 12/30/2022 at 11:01 PM, gr82b4au said:

Pretty sure, This is that QB that Tennessee signed?!?!  

• Like 1

Can't find Ec treatise I mentioned but see interesting 5/20/14 article in FiveThirtyEight for a hint at heavy (& Id say speculative) analysis involved. It used 9 college football seasons worth of data (almost 7,000 games) and incorporates guidelines usually used in baseball/basketball player value analysis, like Wins Above Replacement (WAR). Interestingly, Jameis Winston was most valuable 2013 QB but Nick Marshall isn't top 10.

On 12/30/2022 at 7:50 PM, aujohnson said:

So if you were to put a cap on it…say one million for example. It seems like that could possibly reign it in a little and even though the under table money would be a factor again it seems like it would be much more difficult to give a player enough money to make a difference without leaving a trail of some kind. 
Before all this it seems like it would have been easy to influence a player with a few thousand dollars…not so much now maybe. 🤔

Or maybe that’s totally off base. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Where can a person find the fully executed NIL contracts every college player?  I'd love to know what student-athletes are under contract to make and what services they provide for their paycheck.  

I'd also like to know which athletes have paid in taxes on all those millions of NIL income. 

Edited by JerryAU

4 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Where can a person find the fully executed NIL contracts every college player?  I'd love to know what student-athletes are under contract to make and what services they provide for their paycheck.  

I'd also like to know which athletes have paid in taxes on all those millions of NIL income. 

I would think that a lot of that information would be private. If the ncaa (or whatever governing body) chose to make disclosure a requirement for participation though then individuals would have to present that information. Still wouldn’t be public info though, I wouldn’t think. 
I don’t think it is any of the ncaa’s business or anyone else’s for that matter unless there is cap or standard that has to be abided by. Without the need to fall within some sort of guidelines the nil deals are private business IMO. 

I agree that it would be very interesting to know that information though. 

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

These are private contracts at this time.  No legal guidance that they have to be published.

19 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

These are private contracts at this time.  No legal guidance that they have to be published.

So, it's ALL unverified rumor as to the amount NIL collectives are paying athletes and what NILs are offering recruits & portal transfers? The numbers keep getting bigger and bigger and more outlandish every week.  

I'm glad OTV is sitting pretty and in fine shape with NIL $$.  But when I see a comment made by a Mod on here that "not getting the 2 Montgomery 5*s was a good thing because it freed up $500,000 of our NIL to spread around to others", then I see where Tennessee is rumored to have paid $7MM for a player, it makes that $500,000 for James Smith/Qua Rushaw seem like penny pinching on Auburn's part.  :gofig:

Oh, and the NCAA requires every member institution to report all executed NIL contracts on every NCAA student-athlete.  The NCAA has the contracts on file.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

So, it's ALL unverified rumor as to the amount NIL collectives are paying athletes and what NILs are offering recruits & portal transfers? The numbers keep getting bigger and bigger and more outlandish every week.  

I'm glad OTV is sitting pretty and in fine shape with NIL $$.  But when I see a comment made by a Mod on here that "not getting the 2 Montgomery 5*s was a good thing because it freed up $500,000 of our NIL to spread around to others", then I see where Tennessee is rumored to have paid $7MM for a player, it makes that $500,000 for James Smith/Qua Rushaw seem like penny pinching on Auburn's part.  :gofig:

Oh, and the NCAA requires every member institution to report all executed NIL contracts on every NCAA student-athlete.  The NCAA has the contracts on file.  

The system provides cover for paying players under the table as well.  No one will ask questions anymore about how an athlete got that fancy new car or how their family can afford taking a nice vacation.  Even if we had access to reported NIL info, that may only be a part of the player’s compensation.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The system provides cover for paying players under the table as well.  No one will ask questions anymore about how an athlete got that fancy new car or how their family can afford taking a nice vacation.  Even if we had access to reported NIL info, that may only be a part of the player’s compensation.

Huge bags of cash are still flowing everywhere, Auburn better be a big-time player and loaded with money bags too.  NIL is a legal cover for cash, all a kid or his agent have to do is point to their lucrative NIL contract if anyone (IRS) asks questions.  The NCAA is an impotent and broken organization that has neither the manpower nor the resources to monitor this stuff. 

I'd still love to see the taxes these kids are paying on these mega-million NIL contracts though.  I know what I pay in taxes every quarter and I'm not pulling what these teenagers are pulling. 

• Like 1