Marcus Davis Wide Receiver Coach

AuburnWarVet

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You do realize he is rated as a 5* coach according to on3’s analytics right?  As someone who is obsessed with numbers you should have done your research first.  

2 years sample size? 

C'mon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

2 years sample size? 

C'mon.

That’s the point though.  They wouldn’t make something that bold if he wasn’t jumping off the charts.  Remember every prediction and statistic is putting their reputation on the line.  If they are willing to be that bold he is something special.  

Trust is gained in inches and lost in miles.  

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That’s the point though.  They wouldn’t make something that bold if he wasn’t jumping off the charts.  Remember every prediction and statistic is putting their reputation on the line.  If they are willing to be that bold he is something special.  

Trust is gained in inches and lost in miles.  

He may end up being fantastic, I don't know. He's barely coached at all and zero at this level. What that tells me is not that we hired a coach because an analytics service likes him. Analytics is just witch doctor science at this point, anyway. (Recall board attitudes about Kiffin's love of going for it on 4th in his own territory) What this tells me is one of or both of two things: we missed on our target and decided to take a chance on another former Auburn player or money sources are tired of paying for coaches. Based on the overall shape of the staff, I'd say one is possible, two is a certainty. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 3

I'm not qualified to make a WR hire, if it's good enough for Freeze it's good enough for me!  Bingo!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Supposedly Freeze did choose him over Peeler, which makes me feel a tad better…how exactly does this “analytics” stuff work?

You should read up on it. 

Why every time someone goes outside of the box and not the names that’s thrown out there it’s automatically assumed a miss. Unless there is first hand information from the source who knows what the coaches are actually thinking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, e808 said:

Why every time someone goes outside of the box and not the names that’s thrown out there it’s automatically assumed a miss. Unless there is first hand information from the source who knows what the coaches are actually thinking.

Because of what Auburn has put itself through for years. When you Believe the BS that you are little brother, then that's where your mind goes, and that's how you handle and look at things.

I support Freeze's hired. I'm pretty positive it's a bloody good one. He's had a really good track record so far

• Like 3

Freeze knows exactly what's on the line here. He knows this is his chance to prove all doubters wrong. He's got the job he's wanted for quite some time and if anyone thinks he's going to risk it by making dicey hires for his staff I think they are badly mistaken. If he didn't show you what he's capable of in less than three weeks on the recruiting trail then there may not be any hope for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In case some of you confuse the Davis’s like I do: Marcus Davis is #25 in career receptions at AU, Ryan Davis is #1

Edited by aublaise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting hire with Auburn connections. Quick rise through the ranks and smart (earned a Master’s in education from Auburn in 2017). His Auburn teammates thought quite a bit of Davis when he was voted team captain in 2016.  Each team he went to, Hawaii then Georgia S, had a marked improvement in WR recruiting and overall pass yardage. Hawaii was averaging 300ypg. and 328ypg at GSU. in passing. This in itself does not mean he is going to automatically knock it out of the park but any coach that leaves a place in better shape than when he got there has my vote. He has a high ceiling and if he stays here longer than 2 years I will be surprised because I will put even money that his next stop will be as an OC in a smaller region.  

• Like 2

Clearly some don’t see what is trying to be accomplished with the assembling of this staff. Will it work who knows but its pretty clear or at least to me anyways.

I will keep an open mind but replacing a coach that had ten years of NFL WR coaching experience with a coach that has two years of WR coaching experience seems like an odd move. 

30 minutes ago, e808 said:

Clearly some don’t see what is trying to be accomplished with the assembling of this staff. Will it work who knows but its pretty clear or at least to me anyways.

Penny pinching?  :gofig:

It's been said MD will be paid $400,000/yr as AU WR coach.  That's roughly half what our 3 biggest rivals (lsu/uat/uga) are paying their WR coaches. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Some of you guys are clueless. Read up on Marcus Davis before you start giving uneducated opinions.

Definitely a couple clueless plus their fearless leader as usual. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Penny pinching?  :gofig:

It's been said MD will be paid $400,000/yr as AU WR coach.  That's roughly half what our 3 biggest rivals (lsu/uat/uga) are paying their WR coaches. 

Respectfully who cares what they are doing. The coach is bringing in who he sees as a good fit and have a staff that can execute his vision. Like someone above said if it doesn’t work out he will be relieved of his duties. LSU won by the skin of their teeth and Auburn had an inept coach. What about Tamu shelling out all that money for mediocrity. TCU is in the playoffs. I wonder how much guys on that staff makes 

Edited by e808
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Glad you can see into the future. 

Saban and Alabama have analysts that are former P5 coaches. We’re hiring former players in the 20’s, with 24 months experience as position coaches and recruiters.

Seems like he could be a good hire. I don't know why so many confuse lack of experience with lack of prowess.

I'm glad to see younger guys get a shot rather than hiring some retread because they have experience.

• Like 2