Marcus Davis Wide Receiver Coach

AuburnWarVet

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

WR coach challenge: put a list of the current Top 25 in front of you. You have 3 minutes and can’t use Google. Name each teams WR coach. 

I could only name one …Brian Hartline tOSU, and I think Spurrier at MSU, but they are not top 25.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You don’t think he could get Heard and peeler to leave ucf and mizzou!? Lol come on bruh… it’s clear he just wanted Marcus Davis more. 

It's OK if he didn't get his 1st pick. Doesn't mean Davis is awful or going to be bad

I'm not looking forward to people that don't understand how it works complaining about a dropping a pass....especially because he's young they will come for him quick

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's OK if he didn't get his 1st pick. Doesn't mean Davis is awful or going to be bad

We don't know if he did or didn't. Quite frankly, it is pretty irrelevant at this point. What is more obvious is he has a knack of finding these gems. I can see if this was a coordinator but for a position coach, do not think it should be this degree of annoyance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, cbo said:

Davis might work out great. There are lots of things to like about him as a coach. I liked him as a player and I'm rooting for him now. 

But all of y'all piling on any criticism and acting like this is a home run hire are delusional. Or at least you are homers who aren't interested in actual discussion.

Davis has 2 years as a position coach in college. We "stole" him from GA State. And anyone who wants to counter with the analytics needs to be able to explain the data points and how the analytics actually work. 

Again, I don't hate the hire. But I doubt it was Freeze's first choice, no matter what we are told. Auburn is a big time job for big time coaches. Imagine if Gus was still HC today and made this hire. 

Some things we’ll never know and some things we’ll have to wait and see. Funny thing is everyone has an opinion but this is a position coach, not the OC. Why is this even a debate? IMO, this is the only time to hire a “up and conning” coach. Train him in the way you want him to coach?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Some things we’ll never know and some things we’ll have to wait and see. Funny thing is everyone has an opinion but this is a position coach, not the OC. Why is this even a debate? IMO, this is the only time to hire a “up and conning” coach. Train him in the way you want him to coach?

Well I will say me personally I find it interesting all the people that were going on and on about it and using it as a negative for other coaching candidates and now flip flopping and directly going against all the bitching they are doing then and now directly conflicting those opinions brings me joy. 

Just confirming what I would imagine some already knew.....but I find it great that one thing that won't ever change is if you let a person speak long enough they can't hide or deceive no matter how hard they try.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

We don't know if he did or didn't. Quite frankly, it is pretty irrelevant at this point. What is more obvious is he has a knack of finding these gems. I can see if this was a coordinator but for a position coach, do not think it should be this degree of annoyance.

I mean, it was wildly reported that he initially tried to hire Nix as WR coach (before bumping to OC offer. 

Unless we're just going to go with the "all of our insiders everywhere are wrong" and the Peeler talk was all BS (we've heard he was too expensive too) and the Heard talk was just wrong....then we can do that too

Davis was available for hire for the last 4 weeks and we're just getting to him and he's magically the first choice, 5* hire. I'm just laughing at that mentality. 

I've said everything you're stating as a positive and don't disagree. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm not looking forward to people that don't understand how it works complaining about a dropping a pass....especially because he's young they will come for him quick

Hopefully they line up correctly 100% of yhe time or he might find himself coaching at Bama as an analyst soon 🙃

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, it was wildly reported that he initially tried to hire Nix as WR coach (before bumping to OC offer. 

Unless we're just going to go with the "all of our insiders everywhere are wrong" and the Peeler talk was all BS (we've heard he was too expensive too) and the Heard talk was just wrong....then we can do that too

Davis was available for hire for the last 4 weeks and we're just getting to him and he's magically the first choice, 5* hire. I'm just laughing at that mentality. 

I take everything these insiders say with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am a little surprised that Kodi Burns has not been brought up yet.  Remember how much people hated him as WR coach, despite our best WR recruiting ever occurring because of him?  Kodi is now coaching in the NFL.  Give these guys chances before you try to burn them and end up only burning yourselves.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Most of the staff is exactly like this, though, and that’s a concern for me. (To be fair, Colorado‘s staff also has a lot of people from JSU.)

So far they’ve done some good things on the recruiting trail, but I’m still cautious—remember, Harsin did get us into the top 20 at at least some point in both his classes.

Edited by AUwent
  • Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Most of the staff is exactly like this, though, and that’s a concern for me. (To be fair, Colorado‘s staff also has a lot of people from JSU.)

So far they’ve done some good things on the recruiting trail, but I’m still cautious—remember, Harsin did get us into the top 20 at at least some point in both his classes.

Most staffs are going to have guys brought with them from their previous stops. Silly thing to be hung up about.

Feel like maybe the OL coach was his only "first option" hire. I think that was a good one. I think our OC/DC are solid even though they didn't seem to be his first choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

your concern was recruiting . Now we have proven recruiters, you are moving to the next thing.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Most staffs are going to have guys brought with them from their previous stops. Silly thing to be hung up about.

Feel like maybe the OL coach was his only "first option" hire. I think that was a good one. I think our OC/DC are solid even though they didn't seem to be his first choice. 

My point exactly. Are we toxic to assistant coaches and/or too cheap after those buyouts?

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

your concern was recruiting . Now we have proven to have recruiters, you are moving to the next thing.

Ok. I just hope we can finish this out and then really get things going next year. Like I said we were in the top 20 (247 comp) around this time last year before the bottom really fell out.

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

First choices are not always the best choices. I'd much rather have Freeze than Lane. It was said that Lane was the first choice. Marcus Davis is a good hire even if he was the 20th choice.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

My point exactly. Are we toxic to assistant coaches and/or too cheap after those buyouts?

Ok. I just hope we can finish this out and then really get things going next year. Like I said we were in the top 20 (247 comp) around this time last year before the bottom really fell out.

That is the fun of it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Possibly a little budget on the Mizzou coach, but overall I don't think so. Anyone expecting A+ hires across the board are probably setting us up for failure.

There is always concern about young coaches and how they'll work out and step up.  

I think the staff is a solid B. I don't see any glaring weaknesses or bad hires.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

If you have a staff that you went 11-1 with why wouldn't you? And not just him in particular. Any coach, of course you are going to bring people you already know. It's big enough you have to introduce a new culture at a new place. You won't have the time to teach all of your coaches and all of your players

• Like 2

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I am a little surprised that Kodi Burns has not been brought up yet.  Remember how much people hated him as WR coach, despite our best WR recruiting ever occurring because of him?

Auburn-2016-WR-Class-Dameyune-Craig-Nate

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

WR coach challenge: put a list of the current Top 25 in front of you. You have 3 minutes and can’t use Google. Name each teams WR coach. 

Is your point that we can't have an opinion on our WR coach unless we can name every WR coach in the Top 25? 

I am a fairly busy person that keeps up with AU football, but of course I don't know all staff at other schools. And this goes both ways. How many people praising the Davis hire even knew he was coaching before he was hired by AU? Literally no one mentioned him as a candidate, but now he is an obvious home run. 

I think it's fair to offer an opinion on the coaches, once they are hired and you have done some research. 

For example, I complimented Freeze for hiring Thornton as OL coach because he has a very impressive resume. 

All most of us are saying about Davis is that he might be great, but he has very little experience and he probably wasn't the first choice. That shouldn't be a controversial statement. 

And if I am coming on too strong, please understand this is not all directed at you, but at the majority of comments on the board. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cbo said:

Is your point that we can't have an opinion on our WR coach unless we can name every WR coach in the Top 25? 

I am a fairly busy person that keeps up with AU football, but of course I don't know all staff at other schools. And this goes both ways. How many people praising the Davis hire even knew he was coaching before he was hired by AU? Literally no one mentioned him as a candidate, but now he is an obvious home run. 

I think it's fair to offer an opinion on the coaches, once they are hired and you have done some research. 

For example, I complimented Freeze for hiring Thornton as OL coach because he has a very impressive resume. 

All most of us are saying about Davis is that he might be great, but he has very little experience and he probably wasn't the first choice. That shouldn't be a controversial statement. 

And if I am coming on too strong, please understand this is not all directed at you, but at the majority of comments on the board. 

I’m just addressing the posters who are saying we didn’t land a ‘big name’. My point is few WR (or RB) Coaches are household names. There are plenty of very capable and competent position coaches who don’t have sexy resumes. I respect the opinions of those who wanted a different hire. We can all agree that we hope it works out great for AU and Davis. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, cbo said:

Not controversial at all. Actually, pretty spot on.

But now we get to see how he works out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbo said:

He wasn't the first choice that is evident.  Our CIH didn't even get an interview.  I am sure someone was lined up but backed out and CHF had to scramble and use the analytics company.  It happens everywhere.  Sometimes when hiring a candidate may have a lot of options and if you don't move quickly someone else comes in with an offer or their current employer matches.  No shame in it.  Hopefully CMD will continue to be hungry and excel in both recruiting and coaching.  He has a big hill to climb as he is unknown...

• Like 1