Marcus Davis Wide Receiver Coach

AuburnWarVet

9 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

He wasn't the first choice that is evident.  Our CIH didn't even get an interview.  I am sure someone was lined up but backed out and CHF had to scramble and use the analytics company.  It happens everywhere.  Sometimes when hiring a candidate may have a lot of options and if you don't move quickly someone else comes in with an offer or their current employer matches.  No shame in it.  Hopefully CMD will continue to be hungry and excel in both recruiting and coaching.  He has a big hill to climb as he is unknown...

Completely agree with you. There's no shame at all in this hire, even if it's not the first choice. Very good chance that Davis works out great. 

I also think it's fair for some to express concerns that Freeze failed to hire his top choices and settled for someone that was a very easy hire. 

I'm glad we are able to have a more nuanced conversation, based on your post and the last couple. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

He wasn't the first choice that is evident.  Our CIH didn't even get an interview.  I am sure someone was lined up but backed out and CHF had to scramble and use the analytics company.  It happens everywhere.  Sometimes when hiring a candidate may have a lot of options and if you don't move quickly someone else comes in with an offer or their current employer matches.  No shame in it.  Hopefully CMD will continue to be hungry and excel in both recruiting and coaching.  He has a big hill to climb as he is unknown...

Why is it so hard to believe he chose Marcus Davis over his “first choices” Grant Heard and Jacob Peeler who he had already hired before at a lesser program. You really think they would come to Arkansas state/ole miss but not AU? They work at ucf and mizzou. Come on now….

• Like 1

11 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Most staffs are going to have guys brought with them from their previous stops. Silly thing to be hung up about.

Feel like maybe the OL coach was his only "first option" hire. I think that was a good one. I think our OC/DC are solid even though they didn't seem to be his first choice. 

You don’t think Crime was his first option at the other DB coach spot?

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's OK if he didn't get his 1st pick. Doesn't mean Davis is awful or going to be bad

It’s ok to believe he picked Marcus Davis over them. It’s true idk why it’s so hard for you to believe. It’s really pretty easy…

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

Most of the staff is exactly like this, though, and that’s a concern for me. (To be fair, Colorado‘s staff also has a lot of people from JSU.)

So far they’ve done some good things on the recruiting trail, but I’m still cautious—remember, Harsin did get us into the top 20 at at least some point in both his classes.

Cautious!? You are the Eayore of the AU fanbase!!! You are always down in the dumps and mopey and refuse to get excited about anything. Harsin was not a proven sec recruiter who didn’t have 2 top 10 SEC recruiting classes in his back pocket like Freeze has. Plus this is a much better recruiting staff than the staff Harsin assembled. And freeze is obviously a much better recruiter than Harsin and that lifts up the rest of the staff.

2A3B362D-ACF2-4E73-972A-382DB1258F0F.jpeg

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Cautious!? You are the Eayore of the AU fanbase!!! You are always down in the dumps and mopey and refuse to get excited about anything. Harsin was not a proven sec recruiter who didn’t have 2 top 10 SEC recruiting classes in his back pocket like Freeze has. Plus this is a much better recruiting staff than the staff Harsin assembled. And freeze is obviously a much better recruiter than Harsin and that lifts up the rest of the staff.

2A3B362D-ACF2-4E73-972A-382DB1258F0F.jpeg

I laughed way too hard at this!!!! 😂😂 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Speaking of not getting our first guy and analytics..how about that dude over there at ole miss? 2-7 on fourth downs. Fake punts on their own 11 yard line.  Same people wanting that guy, arguing over nothing. Crying about analytics, but the same folks wanting Lane Analytic Kiffin.

All this to say, sometimes things work and sometimes things don't work. Somethings aren't worth arguing over. Head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, I can see something worth criticizing or even worrying about. Two guys that 99 percent of you guys didn't even know about is so silly to me. Besides those coaches having more experience, there is not much to glean. Now, all of a sudden experience matters, right? But that didn't matter when we had these long ass debates about the head coach, right?

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Speaking of not getting our first guy and analytics..how about that dude over there at ole miss? 2-7 on fourth downs. Fake punts on their own 11 yard line.  Same people wanting that guy, arguing over nothing. Crying about analytics, but the same folks wanting Lane Analytic Kiffin.

All this to say, sometimes things work and sometimes things don't work. Somethings aren't worth arguing over. Head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, I can see something worth criticizing or even worrying about. Two guys that 99 percent of you guys didn't even know about is so silly to me. Besides those coaches having more experience, there is not much to glean. Now, all of a sudden experience matters, right? But that didn't matter when we had these long ass debates about the head coach, right?

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE.

I guess we could've saved a scholarship if we had Lane. Wouldn't need a punter and prob could have got by w/ o a kicker.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why is it so hard to believe he chose Marcus Davis over his “first choices” Grant Heard and Jacob Peeler who he had already hired before at a lesser program. You really think they would come to Arkansas state/ole miss but not AU? They work at ucf and mizzou. Come on now….

I don't know why you are coming with this take.  I never said it was hard to believe.  I never said Davis was a bad choice.  If Davis had been his first choice couldn't he have been hired sooner?  Why not interview Ike he was already in place?  I believe that his first choice fell through and Davis was his backup choice.  Not a real big deal. 

It seems the theme is why did it take so long. Just look at the timetable since CHF was hired. He hired Caddy right off the bat . All the other hires were staggered. The emphasis was heavily on recruiting. Would u prefer him worry about finding a wide receivers coach or filling the gapping holes of needing bodies on the team.We seen and have heard about the man being out on the road recruiting. To me wide receiver is the least of the worries. U need to find someone to throw to them first. I guess everything needs to be done right away and not prioritized. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e808 said:

It seems the theme is why did it take so long. Just look at the timetable since CHF was hired. He hired Caddy right off the bat . All the other hires were staggered. The emphasis was heavily on recruiting. Would u prefer him worry about finding a wide receivers coach or filling the gapping holes of needing bodies on the team.We seen and have heard about the man being out on the road recruiting. To me wide receiver is the least of the worries. U need to find someone to throw to them first. I guess everything needs to be done right away and not prioritized. 

Hit it right on the head and I ask again, why does it all has to happen on a certain timetable unless the hire doesn’t make sense ? Lol

Like really who cares? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I am really starting to think @RunInRed is right in that we dodged a bullet with Kiffin.  

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It’s ok to believe he picked Marcus Davis over them. It’s true idk why it’s so hard for you to believe. It’s really pretty easy…

It's not true. He literally tried to hired Nix as WR coach, was told no, then bumped to OC.

Unless you just want to tell me all of our insiders across all platforms are full of s*** and this is what you want to believe solely bc it makes you feel good. Then Okay

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's not true. He literally tried to hired Nix as WR coach, was told no, then bumped to OC.

Unless you just want to tell me all of our insiders across all platforms are full of s*** and this is what you want to believe solely bc it makes you feel good. Then Okay

Which insiders said he tried to hire Nix ( legitimately asking, not trying to be smart)

• Like 1

Insiders were all over the place…from Dabo & Franklin being highly interested. Brian Johnson being number one after Kiffin, etc. Their track record has been in the lower percentages since Jacobs left…🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 2

IMO continuing to compare anything chf does to what Harsin did is the lowest of bars and the kiss of death. Anything we do that doesn’t involve arson would be an improvement over Harsin. The reason we fired Gus is he was falling behind our rivals.  That has to be the bar (given reasonable time) or all of this has been for nothing.

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I guess we could've saved a scholarship if we had Lane. Wouldn't need a punter and prob could have got by w/ o a kicker.

This is a really good point. It’s kind like the “which came first, the chicken or egg?”, with “which came first, the terrible/kicking punting game, or the fact that Kiffin doesn’t utilize them?”, and thus gets terrible kickers/punters, further driving him to illogical, unsuccessful 4th down calls. I think he’ll continue to put far too much emphasis on his “analytics” without, or with little, nuance and costing himself field position and games. 

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Which insiders said he tried to hire Nix ( legitimately asking, not trying to be smart)

Virtual all of them he was the first or second major hire attempt.

Ole Cole spoke about kiffen as well....it wasn't cool then though. But of course I'm no insider. I just have this terrific ability to guess right without being a member to any pay site! 

I will admit I know a bunch of former players and a few current but that doesn't mean anything on here because I was told they don't know anything so.....

Edited by cole256
  • Haha 3

Well, get ready for all the bammers to be raising cane. I just heard today on JOX that Saban had been turned down by 2-3 coaches for a coordinator position!!! Everybody knows if your 1st choice doesn't accept, and I'm talking about the posters first choice, not the coach's, then said HC has made a dumb hire and worry to the point of an ulcer is now required from all fans of the school.

It's a joke guys. Just trying to lighten up the conversation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I am really starting to think @RunInRed is right in that we dodged a bullet with Kiffin.  

I whole-heartedly agree that we dodged a huge bullet by not having LK! Just my own feelings. Especially with the effort and results of Coach Freeze and his staff.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Virtual all of them he was the first or second major hire attempt.

Prob take it with a grain of salt. After all, Hartwell was gonna be the AD and Kiffin was gonna be the HC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2022 at 8:27 AM, AUwent said:

Sigh. I get that recruiting has improved but we needed at least one ACE on our assistant staff. Did we get turned down by a lot of people because of Freeze’s past?

Maybe the question that should be asked is, Why did HF reject hiring the #1 college football recruiter in the nation as DC ?  An AU alum btw, who played for Dye.

This guy- Charles Kelly, Safeties Coach (FB), Alabama Crimson Tide (247sports.com)

And why did HF fire Ike Hilliard, former NCAA All American, who played over 10 seasons in the NFL and then coached NFL wide receivers more than 10 seasons and now chose to hire a rookie ?

On 12/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, Mikey said:

How do you know Davis isn't an ace? 

And how do you know that MD is an ace recruiter, because no recruiting service has ever mentioned him........AT ALL, ever since he finished at AU ?

HF has hired a rookie.