Marcus Davis Wide Receiver Coach

AuburnWarVet

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Ole Cole spoke about kiffen as well....it wasn't cool then though. But of course I'm no insider. I just have this terrific ability to guess right without being a member to any pay site! 

I will admit I know a bunch of former players and a few current but that doesn't mean anything on hear because I was told they don't know anything so.....

I feel you. At Thanksgiving my cousin was talking about how cool it would be to land Kiffin. I was like, “Kiffin is a mess that would just give us more headaches”. He was like, “Nah man”. Then I said, “Yeah man”. 

I still haven’t forgiven him for not believing me. If he gives me a cookie though, I might reconsider. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Maybe the question that should be asked is, Why did HF reject hiring the #1 college football recruiter in the nation as DC ?  An AU alum btw, who played for Dye.

This guy- Charles Kelly, Safeties Coach (FB), Alabama Crimson Tide (247sports.com)

And why did HF fire Ike Hilliard, former NCAA All American, who played over 10 seasons in the NFL and then coached NFL wide receivers more than 10 seasons and now chose to hire a rookie ?

And how do you know that MD is an ace recruiter, because no recruiting service has ever mentioned him........AT ALL, ever since he finished at AU ?

HF has hired a rookie.

Why is this the first DC job Charles kelly has got since FSU several years ago and it’s only at Colorado? That should be your answer. 

Ike is a nfl lifer who spent a 1 year pit stop at a college job. He will go back to being a nfl coach in a few weeks I imagine.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

HF has hired a rookie.

That's great! Give the kid a chance and he will probably do a fine job.

You act like Freeze is acting in a vacuum. He is not. Caddy and many other employees of the athletic department know the people and are there to advise. Those of the old staff who weren't retained were let go for a reason.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Why do you guys pretend to know who was what as far as his first choice and of all things decide to argue about it?

• Like 3

Just now, meh130 said:

I am just looking forward to a WR coach that can teach WRs to catch the ball.

Coaches can only do so much in that regard. None of the coaches teach the WRs to drop wide open passes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I can tell you with 100% certainty that any receiver who has been recruited and signed to play for an SEC school has been "taught" how to catch the ball.

This commentary grinds my gears so hard. There is no magical coaching technique to catching the football that only the "best" WR coaches know lmao. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Maybe the question that should be asked is, Why did HF reject hiring the #1 college football recruiter in the nation as DC ?  An AU alum btw, who played for Dye.

This guy- Charles Kelly, Safeties Coach (FB), Alabama Crimson Tide (247sports.com)

And why did HF fire Ike Hilliard, former NCAA All American, who played over 10 seasons in the NFL and then coached NFL wide receivers more than 10 seasons and now chose to hire a rookie ?

And how do you know that MD is an ace recruiter, because no recruiting service has ever mentioned him........AT ALL, ever since he finished at AU ?

HF has hired a rookie.

Who's going to Colorado with Deion after the Bama season ends no less...

On 12/27/2022 at 5:08 PM, TigerFanAU said:

I’m not against the guy. I hope he does well. The analytics thing is humorous. I just thought we’d do better. We had momentum with the quick and solid recruiting class. Guessing we missed on some better recruiters/coaches. 

Why would the analytics thing be humorous?

This analytics firm was instrumental in staffing at Oregon State and Tulane. Oregon State was 10-3 this season and Tulane was 11-2. Neither of those two schools are historically easy to win at (Tulane in particular is generally very bad at football) and the success that they just had is pretty unprecedented.

The same analytics firms basically nailed our 2022 season to a tee. I listened to a lot of Dave Bartoo commentary: the man predicted exactly how much we'd suck. He even predicted that Harsin would be fired midseason and that Freeze would be hired. 

This reeks of glossing over something that you have zero actual understanding of and then claiming that it's silly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, meh130 said:

I see another “teach them to catch the ball” discussion coming.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

I see another “teach them to catch the ball” discussion coming.

We all should welcome it. It should help everyone identify who to take serious in certain discussions

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We all should welcome it. It should help everyone identify who to take serious in certain discussions

I think I will be a passive reader this time.

23 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ike is a nfl lifer who spent a 1 year pit stop at a college job. He will go back to being a nfl coach in a few weeks I imagine.

Ridiculous guessing here. You have no clue as to where Coach Hilliard wants to be

Edited by GreenTiger

28 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Ridiculous guessing here. You have no clue as to where Coach Hilliard wants to be

Well his past job history and the fact he hasn’t taken a college job yet and looks to be waiting for the nfl coaching carousel makes it prettt obvious.

The issue with a good WR coach is not our WR’s catching the ball, it is getting separation with footwork and blocking on the perimeter. That’s coaching. 

Catching the ball is solely on the focus of the WR at this point in their career. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Did we get beat because of poor receiver performance? What about pass protection? The two are synonymous.

What about quarterback performance?

I'm truly more concerned about our secondary strengths and weaknesses.

12 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

The issue with a good WR coach is not our WR’s catching the ball, it is getting separation with footwork and blocking on the perimeter. That’s coaching. 

Catching the ball is solely on the focus of the WR at this point in their career. 

Thank You!!!! But me personally I don't care too much about their blocking because that's just effort too.