2024 4* G Labaron Philon (Kansas)

Barnacle

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gonna be a good Friday 

Sooo what you're saying is AU gymnastics is going to get it's 1st ever win in Tuscaloosa? 😁

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sooo what you're saying is AU gymnastics is going to get it's 1st ever win in Tuscaloosa? 😁

Not a doubt in my mind!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

From the small number of clips Ive seen, this kid is smooth as butter and makes it look effortless. Im VERY excited about this kid. 

Makes it look effortless is a great way to describe him. Very under control and navigates traffic in the paint well. Great quickness. I wouldn’t say that he possesses elite athleticism, which is why I believe he has not been given a fifth star. 

• Like 1

One video doesn’t tell a play style but he seems like an imaginative guy when he’s driving to the rim. Also seems like someone that prefers to drive to the rim over anything 

Can’t claim to actually know his style but that’s just an interpretation based on that vid 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

One video doesn’t tell a play style but he seems like an imaginative guy when he’s driving to the rim. Also seems like someone that prefers to drive to the rim over anything 

Can’t claim to actually know his style but that’s just an interpretation based on that vid 

He looks like Flanigan driving to the basket. Need to see some videos of him shooting from outside. 

Edited by Auburn93

54 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

He looks like Flanigan driving to the basket. Need to see some videos of him shooting from outside. 

Seen him play a few times.  Fantastic all-around scorer....drive to the goal, midrange(which no one has these days), and most certainly the 3.  Takes what is given, and doesn't force the issue.  Will need to work on defense, but most high school kids do.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

BREAKING: Auburn lands elite CG Labaron Philon

2 minutes ago

Just a few days after Auburn got its point guard of the 2024 class, Bruce Pearl went out and got his combo guard for the class.

Labaron Philon, the No. 40 player in the class and the No. 1 player in the state of Alabama, announced his commitment to Auburn at a school pep rally in Baker (Ala.) choosing the Tigers over Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Tennessee and Ole Miss.

"Bruce Pearl, me and his relationship is out of this world," Philon told Auburn Undercover. "I feel like he’ll be one of those coaches that helps me become a pro, get me better and coach me up in practice and outside of basketball, too."

Listed at 6-foot-4, 177 pounds, Philon is technically labeled as a point guard right now. His future, though, is more of a two-guard or combo guard at the next level. Philon is a more then capable ball-handler, but he excels as a true bucket-getter rather than a distributor. That's been on full display at Baker this season as Philon averages over 36 points per game and is currently shooting over 51 percent from the floor.

Pearl and assistant coach Wes Flanigan were one of Philon's first offers a few years ago and never backed off since.

“Coach Flanigan, he was my main recruiter when it first started,” he said. “I met Coach Flanigan a while ago and he takes care of everything with me.”

Auburn was the only school that Philon took an official visit to.

In the Class of 2023, 247Sports Composite 5-star point guard Aden Holloway is Auburn's lone signee and shaping up to be the only high school addition for Auburn basketball. The 2024 class is set to be much different.

Kell (Ga.) center Peyton Marshall led things off on Dec. 9 when he announced his Auburn commitment. On Wednesday it was Tahaad Pettiford committing to Auburn and now Philon is in the fold.

1COMMENTS

“I like their playing style,” Philon said about Auburn. “He’s always telling me that I’ll come in there and get stronger and eat better and grow as an athlete and a student.”

With the addition of Philon, Auburn is currently No. 3 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings for the 2024 class behind just North Carolina and Baylor.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• augolf1716 changed the title to 2024 4* CG Labaron Philon committed to Auburn
5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Labaron Philon, the No. 40 player in the class and the No. 1 player in the state of Alabama, announced his commitment to Auburn at a school pep rally in Baker (Ala.) choosing the Tigers over Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Tennessee and Ole Miss.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Auburn was the only school that Philon took an official visit to.

Movie gif. Jack Nicholson as Dr. Buddy Rydell in Anger Management nods menacingly as we zoom in on his face.

I mean I did the same thing, so I can't blame him. I never visited or applied at any other schools. My parents kept asking, "Are you sure?" I said yeah, that's where I'm going. WDE!!!

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• RunInRed changed the title to 2024 4* PG Labaron Philon committed to Auburn
  • ellitor changed the title to 2024 4* G Labaron Philon committed to AU!

Great pickup. It is great to pickup a CG who is not short. This young man is a scorer and seems to have a complete offensive game. Great ball handler, can get to the rack, has a sweet 3 point shot and sadly what is becoming an oddity in todays game he can hit a mid-range jumper. So fare we have 3 highly rated 4* players a couple on the cusp of being 5*.  A center, a PG and a CG .  I know we wanted Ace Baily as a PF but Rutgers got him.  I wonder how many more HS players if any we are still recruiting in 2024 class or are we looking to flesh out the 2024 class with some proven portal players.

Right now it appears that in 2025 we will have 2 PG's in 2023  Holloway and 2024 Pettiford, CG Philon and 2022 Westry, Center 2024 Marshall, and 2022 PF Traore assuming all the older players remain in 2024. This will give us a great nucleus with some older players and some younger players.  I do believe we will need some Portal players  to have a stronger veteran presence.  It appears Bruce and staff have their mojo back.

Welcome Mr. Philon and War Eagle.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It appears Bruce and staff have their mojo back.

They'd lost their mojo? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1