Students Expelled for ‘Ku Klux Klan Starter Pack’ Instagram Posts ‘Obviously’ Have No First Amendment Protection, Appeals Court Rules

Didba

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It seems now apparently a group is starting a thing saying I'm racist. I'm racist because I'm always talking about being fair. 

I'm literally asking people to really think about it. What have I ever said that has people so upset? 

I also want people to think well if it bothers you so much when I speak you constantly have to let me know black people are racist too or whatever....then why isn't that same energy for the other end of the spectrum? We have several posters where stuff is obvious. When they talk why no constant check of them? 

You’re not racist. You have to have power over someone for it to be the case. I’ll be the first to say it. We just don’t understand each other and that’s putting it lightly. Honestly I’m not sure we ever will. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

49 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

You’re not racist. You have to have power over someone for it to be the case. I’ll be the first to say it. We just don’t understand each other and that’s putting it lightly. Honestly I’m not sure we ever will. 

Wait, what?! So you're saying it's not racist for someone to walk by someone and use a racial slur because they dont have power over them?

Everything I have seen you post in this thread are excuses used to continue racism. Strive to be better people. This is getting ridiculous.

• Like 2

I generally feel there are two types of racism - one is easier to address than the other.  Additionally, neither is limited to any one race. However, historically (speaking to US and not world history) was committed (and ended) almost exclusively by whites.

The first, and IMO easier, form of racism  to address is systemic racism.  This relates to laws or regulations designed to suppress / hold back a group or to provide an advantage to a group based on race.  This can and should be sought out and eliminated quickly and all people treated equally.  Laws and regulations need to be completely blind to race.  If there is a reason why race needs to play a part in our system of government, I’m willing to listen, but honestly can’t think of any.  Failure to do this just sets in place more racially based animosity in point #2 below.

The second type is individual racism.  This one is a much tougher nut to crack because it deals with an individual’s beliefs / perceptions and in many cases generational thinking.  I don’t see any way that these people can / should be prosecuted based on beliefs or speech alone.  I do feel that actual crimes (including threats) can and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  However, I don’t think banning speech is the right way to address these types of people as it just hides the problem.  I believe letting idiots look like idiots in public makes it easier to identify them and they are rapidly shunned by the rest of society.  It also makes great teaching points (“don’t be like that idiot”).  These people self identify and are usually ostracized quickly.  Only in very rare cases are racist people actually able to sway anyone with more than a few working brain cells to their school of thought.  By banning speech and persecution you turn these people into martyrs.  Kind of like the old adage “better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt” - but in reverse and without violating the Constitution.  

Just my .02

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

Good grief. :no:

Once again, you display your complete historical ignorance of the subject.

Institutional racism is older than the country.  It is not a term that has been "coined" recently.  What idiocy.

Ever heard of "red-lining"?  Know anything about how interstate highway construction affected blacks?  How about small business loans?  Ever heard anything about institutional racism in the healthcare industry?

Institutional racism is an American as apple pie. Things have improved, but it's still endemic.

Why do you suppose there is such a huge difference between black and white families in average wealth?  

This is typical leftist BS.  The left comes up with a phrase and retroactively apply it to the past.  There are laws against such things.  It still pops up from time to time, but come on man, it is not in every thread of our lives.

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, cbo said:

You continue to say the most irrelevant, insulting things, while cloaking it in some edgy talking point or by completely backtracking moments later. 

As much as you seem to dislike Cole, you should appreciate his patience with you. I'm not sure I could do the same. 

I re-read what I stated and added “Im SURE someone has said, or at least, thought that”

If this is your beef, I corrected that.  If not; fire away.

12 hours ago, cbo said:

Sorry we didn't solve racism for you tonight!

The point is clear. You solved nothing, for no one.

As indicated by your response, I'm sorry that hurts you. Self reflection can help.

Godspeed.

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

You looking for a "solution"?  Go look in the mirror.

Shut up you weasel. You're not knowledgeable on this topic and you've solved nothing, nor will you if you persist in this fashion. 

Self reflection is definitely in order for you Homey da clown.  

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Im glad you just caught up.  Ichy was exclaiming how this country does not admit to the treatment of Blacks and Native Americans and that is just not true.  I believe abolishing slavery is the ultimate in acknowledging the sins of the past.

Obviously, ichy has no gratitude for anything that has happened in the past, and in the absence of gratitude one is only left with resentment.  That is what ichy is, pure resentment.  I did not say *where’s your gratitude for ending slavery*, I just pointed out ichy has none.  Ichy can believe whatever ichy wants, but ichy’s resentment of the past comes out in every one of ichy;s post.

You are welcome to think whatever you want, its a free country.  I got to tell you though; if I had feelings that last sentence would have hurt.

14 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Who said the impact of slavery ended that day?  You’re making things up now.  This country has recognized the sin of slavery and one day does not change centuries of slavery.  Getting to we are now has taken a long time, but progress is being made. 

It seems some are not satisfied with the timeline, but don’t want to discuss what else could be done.

You are stating that abolishing slavery is the ultimate acknowledgement of sins. Ultimate means final, at the end of a process, or the best imaginable/achievable. Abolishing slavery is none of those. It is literally only the start. The ultimate acknowledgement of the sin of slavery is to make sure every person regardless of race or background has an even playing field and we most definitely don't have that. You are making absolute statements that if we don't say we appreciate slavery was abolished then we are only filled with resentment. Stating that we still aren't where we need to be on the issue of race doesn't represent a lack of thankfulness that slavery is abolished in the US. That is an absurd statement. 

You are using progress being made as an excuse to justify where we are. Of course people are upset with the timeline. No one should have to be subjected to racism. How is this even a take? You don't want answers because if you did you would find them. Instead, you want to say that someone needs to discuss with you so you can find answers so you don't have to put in effort. It is no one else's job to educate you on racism and how to solve it. Expand your view. The material is out there for you. Don't just look for the one black guy saying racism isn't a big deal. Maybe try to find view points that are different from your own rather than trying to bait someone else into looking like the bad guy so you can feel good about yourself.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

24 minutes ago, ChristoThor said:

You are stating that abolishing slavery is the ultimate acknowledgement of sins. Ultimate means final, at the end of a process, or the best imaginable/achievable. Abolishing slavery is none of those

Ultimate, in this statement, was used in the acknowledgement of the SIN of slavery.  Im sorry it wasn't clear.  I agree it was only a start and it was and is a  slow process.

30 minutes ago, ChristoThor said:

You are making absolute statements that if we don't say we appreciate slavery was abolished then we are only filled with resentment. Stating that we still aren't where we need to be on the issue of race doesn't represent a lack of thankfulness that slavery is abolished in the US.

The statement about appreciating the act of ending slavery is a personal thing that each one of us has to deal with.  A lot of people have conflated appreciation for an act with thanking *white people* for this act.  Nothing could possibly be further from the truth.  Again, this is a personal thought process, a person doesn’t have to even confess they believe this, but if more people had a gratitude for our past the better the future can be.  It is counter productive to *blame* people that have had nothing to do with the enslaving of people centuries ago IMO.

39 minutes ago, ChristoThor said:

You are using progress being made as an excuse to justify where we are. Of course people are upset with the timeline. No one should have to be subjected to racism. How is this even a take?

Its not an excuse, it is reality.  Let me ask; when Dr. King accomplished what he did by strictly staying within the lines of society was such a success, why is it now not enough?  Yes, he was resisted, but because of his persistence he was more successful in changing ideas of race then anybody before.  What has changed?  Is peaceful protest not working any longer or is it doesn’t happen fast enough?  I don’t know, maybe you can talk to that.

46 minutes ago, ChristoThor said:

How is this even a take? You don't want answers because if you did you would find them. Instead, you want to say that someone needs to discuss with you so you can find answers so you don't have to put in effort.

I have been reliable told that being white means I can’t understand what racism is really about.  Therefore, I have asked Cole to explain. 

48 minutes ago, ChristoThor said:

Don't just look for the one black guy saying racism isn't a big deal. Maybe try to find view points that are different from your own rather than trying to bait someone else into looking like the bad guy so you can feel good about yourself.

I would guess you mean Larry Elder.  He is not the only one.  The issue with Larry and others that have a conservative take is that he has a conservative take.  I don’t know if you remember, but when he was running for Governor of California earlier last year the LA Times actually called him the Black face of White supremacy.  How racist is that?

So, Larry has become persona non grata in the race discussion as you have demonstrated. He has a voice that is being quashed.

I’m trying to discuss why there is such a difference of opinion between some Black people.   Is there a section of people that do not conform to the narrative among the Black community that are silenced. I can’t answer that as I am not Black and I can only ask the question.

Do you have an idea what is going on?

40 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Ultimate, in this statement, was used in the acknowledgement of the SIN of slavery.  Im sorry it wasn't clear.  I agree it was only a start and it was and is a  slow process.

I can accept that as a misunderstanding on my part.

The statement about appreciating the act of ending slavery is a personal thing that each one of us has to deal with.  A lot of people have conflated appreciation for an act with thanking *white people* for this act.  Nothing could possibly be further from the truth.  Again, this is a personal thought process, a person doesn’t have to even confess they believe this, but if more people had a gratitude for our past the better the future can be.  It is counter productive to *blame* people that have had nothing to do with the enslaving of people centuries ago IMO.

I can understand appreciating the end of slavery, but the way you talk about it seems to be used as a way to put up a smokescreen from acknowledging what more needs to happen. You were making very firm statement by saying you are either grateful or full of resentment. Us acknowledging the things that are happening in today's society is not blaming people for slavery of the past. I know some call for blaming people of today for slavery of the past, but I feel all that accomplishes is distracting for the real issues at hand. I understand the frustration of that, but I do not feel that is what the majority of people are trying to bring to light or asking to solve.

Its not an excuse, it is reality.  Let me ask; when Dr. King accomplished what he did by strictly staying within the lines of society was such a success, why is it now not enough?  Yes, he was resisted, but because of his persistence he was more successful in changing ideas of race then anybody before.  What has changed?  Is peaceful protest not working any longer or is it doesn’t happen fast enough?  I don’t know, maybe you can talk to that.

I think I understand what you are saying, but I do feel you are doing a disservice to what Malcolm X also accomplished around the same time. You may not like what it looked like, but it wasn't all Mr. King who put in the work. Mr. King acknowledged Malcom X and what he did. He stated they may not see eye to eye, but he held deep affection for him. I believe in peaceful protest, but I won't discount the anger that bein on the receiving side of racism sparks in people.

I have been reliable told that being white means I can’t understand what racism is really about.  Therefore, I have asked Cole to explain. 

Sure that can be true, but that doesn't mean Cole has to explain. There is plenty out there that we can all research without having to involve others.

I would guess you mean Larry Elder.  He is not the only one.  The issue with Larry and others that have a conservative take is that he has a conservative take.  I don’t know if you remember, but when he was running for Governor of California earlier last year the LA Times actually called him the Black face of White supremacy.  How racist is that?

So, Larry has become persona non grata in the race discussion as you have demonstrated. He has a voice that is being quashed.

With the Larry Elder thing, I have noticed that people who don't like what the opposing opinions are saying will go find someone who says what they want to negate the opposing opinion. This is something I have run into a fair bit with some people. This isn't to say you have to be completely convicted of what the opposition is saying, but growth can't happen without change. If you only gather opinions that look like your own you will never have a way to grow outside of random personal revelation. In acknowledging and trying to understand an opposing opinion, you can see the error in your own and their opinion that will hopefully help you form a more accurate understanding of a situation. I feel that searching out for any person of color to agree with you instead of trying to understand the rest who disagree is a way to cling to the comfort of your own opinions.

I’m trying to discuss why there is such a difference of opinion between some Black people.   Is there a section of people that do not conform to the narrative among the Black community that are silenced. I can’t answer that as I am not Black and I can only ask the question.

Do you have an idea what is going on?

It is hard to look at any group of people and expect consistency of belief across their entire population. Of course there will be people within the same "group" making opposite claims. A great is example is christianity. You made the claim that christianity as a unified group fought slavery. Someone else pointed out that there were people on both sides of the civil war using their christian beliefs to justify their side of things. There will always be a disparity of education, opportunity, and experience within any group. Just because there is difference of opinion within the black community doesn't mean you can choose which side has the valid opinion. It just means that all those with the difference of opinion need to take a look at themselves, their beliefs, and those that oppose them and find the opportunity for growth. Again though, that doesn't mean anyone is obligated to do that for you. We have a wealth of information and publications out there on both sides for those who are interested to go and find and learn.

I think this is of very high importance since I believe we all will be called to stand by our beliefs one day. I would rather delve in myself and form my own opinion rather than regurgitate things that make me feel safe and not truly understand what I am standing for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is typical leftist BS.  The left comes up with a phrase and retroactively apply it to the past.  There are laws against such things.  It still pops up from time to time, but come on man, it is not in every thread of our lives.

"Retroactively apply it to the past"    :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

Do you ever research anything??   It's called "History".  Our history to be precise, (only we do share many of the same traits with other countries.)

One thing I like about you is that you persistently make a fool of yourself.

Got to admire that consistency, at least. ;D

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 10:23 AM, I_M4_AU said:

You are one of the most disingenuous posters on this subject.  You just post and not quote. 

This is a bit ironic.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, arein0 said:

Wait, what?! So you're saying it's not racist for someone to walk by someone and use a racial slur because they dont have power over them?

Everything I have seen you post in this thread are excuses used to continue racism. Strive to be better people. This is getting ridiculous.

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

You must be reading half of what I’ve been saying. Idk 🤷

Edited by autigeremt
  • Facepalm 1

On 1/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, I_M4_AU said:

I asked what do we do now and you don’t even acknowledge the question.

Get over yourself and answer the questions.

I have asked you very pointed questions many times that you outright ignore. I could say the same to you.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 11:56 AM, cole256 said:

You really don't have issues like this in high school really. There are a view issues here and there at schools that are mostly white, but get a school where it's even or close to even you don't have any superiority issues. I think because they know they'd get beat up.

Now it's grown men who love to talk wreckless behind computers. 

We only had one racists incident on our football team. 60/40 white/black. One of the trailer trash white dudes called one of our star black players the n-word. Hard R.  The black player beat the s*** out of the trailer trash dude. No one raised a finger to defend the trailer trash, no coach, or player.  We never had any racist issues after that.

On 1/1/2023 at 12:25 PM, cole256 said:

But I hope you heal on the outside because it's easy to see

asasddsa.gif.e8f2f4fb954dc60c6246dd2d75e79129.gif

Guys, this thread was supposed to be about SCOTUS getting it right for once this term, not how racist the old whites are on this forum.  We already know all that.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

All good ideas. Unfortunately a monumental and overwhelming problem. In many areas your talking about investment and restructure of what are danger zones. 

If the people who reside in a community are invested in that community, that would change.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Didba said:

Guys, this thread was supposed to be about SCOTUS getting it right for once this term, not how racist the old whites are on this forum.  We already know all that.

(Appeals court)   Hate to see what the SCOTUS will do.

• Like 1

Just now, homersapien said:

(Appeals court)   Hate to see what the SCOTUS will do.

Ah, yes, thank for the correction, it had been a minute since I have been in this thread.

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

If the people who reside in a community are invested in that community, that would change.

Exactly.  Ironically enough, the initial capital in such situations often comes from the gay community.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

We only had one racists incident on our football team. 60/40 white/black. One of the trailer trash white dudes called one of our star black players the n-word. Hard R.  The black player beat the s*** out of the trailer trash dude. No one raised a finger to defend the trailer trash, no coach, or player.  We never had any racist issues after that.

See you know in high school no matter what if somebody wants they can get to you for at least 5 minutes. Now anybody who's actually been in fights 2 minutes is forever in terms of fighting.

Then at that time you have genuine friendships and it bothers hearing or seeing your friend being disrespected. As you get older let's say you see it on the job.......It turns into none of my business.

If I had a person on here that just loved me and was always looking out for me, over half the arguments and fights wouldn't even happen. Because that's how it works, if I point stuff out alone eventually I'm a race baiter....But if it's a person or two that vouch or say they see it as well bigots will run. Unfortunately like I said you have people that aren't racist but they are arguing out of pride and all that but all that does is give racist cover. It looks like you side with them.

Also unfortunately if you notice they have each other's back. There's not an argument to be had where they don't come and support each other. No matter what there will always be 2-3. It's just unfortunate how it's not a level playing field here. There's no way I can fight this fight and be respected. 

But 50/60 years from now if anybody reads this that will change. Right now when we look back at the people spraying blacks with hoses, yelling and spitting and all of that.....They were the majority at that time. 

What I stand on and don't ever have to worry about though is I'm literally just preaching equality. Don't know how that can upset people so but I know I'll never be looked at as wrong in the future. 

Now the other side. You can tell yourself I think the guy said I was the least genuine poster on here, and that's a thing to say on here. I've seen people lie and lie and lie, but ok say that. But if you are wrong, you literally helped the bad guys. 

That's my opinion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

See you know in high school no matter what if somebody wants they can get to you for at least 5 minutes. Now anybody who's actually been in fights 2 minutes is forever in terms of fighting.

Then at that time you have genuine friendships and it bothers hearing or seeing your friend being disrespected. As you get older let's say you see it on the job.......It turns into none of my business.

If I had a person on here that just loved me and was always looking out for me, over half the arguments and fights wouldn't even happen. Because that's how it works, if I point stuff out alone eventually I'm a race baiter....But if it's a person or two that vouch or say they see it as well bigots will run. Unfortunately like I said you have people that aren't racist but they are arguing out of pride and all that but all that does is give racist cover. It looks like you side with them.

Also unfortunately if you notice they have each other's back. There's not an argument to be had where they don't come and support each other. No matter what there will always be 2-3. It's just unfortunate how it's not a level playing field here. There's no way I can fight this fight and be respected. 

But 50/60 years from now if anybody reads this that will change. Right now when we look back at the people spraying blacks with hoses, yelling and spitting and all of that.....They were the majority at that time. 

What I stand on and don't ever have to worry about though is I'm literally just preaching equality. Don't know how that can upset people so but I know I'll never be looked at as wrong in the future. 

Now the other side. You can tell yourself I think the guy said I was the least genuine poster on here, and that's a thing to say on here. I've seen people lie and lie and lie, but ok say that. But if you are wrong, you literally helped the bad guys. 

That's my opinion

I have tried to have your back the couple of times I have seen them attack you for speaking the truth. Course, they dismiss me because I am a young, white, liberal, educated man that needs to "respect his elders".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

I have tried to have your back the couple of times I have seen them attack you for speaking the truth. Course, they dismiss me because I am a young, white, liberal, educated man that needs to "respect his elders".

Hey, they dismiss old, white, liberal, educated men too. ;D

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1