Auburn vs. Florida

Grumps

Happy to get the win. Its going to be a grind this year to get any win. We just don't have the offensive players this season. I think our best bet is scoring through Williams and Broome but neither of those guys have the skills to carry an offense. Green is on a bad stretch but i think he'll turn that around eventually. Not sure if Flan and/or KD are ever going to give us consistently what we need to be a really good team this year. Those guys along with Westry were the ones i was counting on to take that next step but not sure thats gonna happen. 

Also FL may have had 5 loses but i'm pretty sure they said that all 5 were against top 50 teams. So while they aren't great by any means they will likely be a middle of the road SEC team. Which is what we are so important win right there

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

Happy to get the win. Its going to be a grind this year to get any win. We just don't have the offensive players this season. I think our best bet is scoring through Williams and Broome but neither of those guys have the skills to carry an offense. Green is on a bad stretch but i think he'll turn that around eventually. Not sure if Flan and/or KD are ever going to give us consistently what we need to be a really good team this year. Those guys along with Westry were the ones i was counting on to take that next step but not sure thats gonna happen. 

Also FL may have had 5 loses but i'm pretty sure they said that all 5 were against top 50 teams. So while they aren't great by any means they will likely be a middle of the road SEC team. Which is what we are so important win right there

Yeah, it's going to be a long one. Really disappointed Yohan and Chance haven't come along thus far. Chance, I can understand because he missed Fall practice because of surgery. Yohan is a mystery to me. Maybe needs another year to get acclimated. But we have to find some consistent offense. Flan has all the physical tools to be great but he is just not a cerebral player. KD is KD. If he can limit his turnovers and give us a few points then that will be a plus. 

51 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Yeah, it's going to be a long one. Really disappointed Yohan and Chance haven't come along thus far. Chance, I can understand because he missed Fall practice because of surgery. Yohan is a mystery to me. Maybe needs another year to get acclimated. But we have to find some consistent offense. Flan has all the physical tools to be great but he is just not a cerebral player. KD is KD. If he can limit his turnovers and give us a few points then that will be a plus. 

People have been saying that about KD for a year and a half.

• Haha 1

Broome and Cardwell have been a satisfactory replacement for Kessler.   I expected a little more from Yohan, but Williams is very good and taking minutes from him is a challenge. And there's just no way to replace Jabari.  But the only hope for improved guard play is Chance stepping up and taking minutes. Man, I thought that was a given.  I'm surprised there is not more information floating around about what is going on with him. 

Edited by Cardin Drake

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

Broome and Cardwell have been a satisfactory replacement for Kessler.   I expected a little more from Yohan, but Williams is very good and taking minutes from him is a challenge. And there's just no way to replace Jabari.  But the only hope for improved guard play is Chance stepping up and taking minutes. Man, I thought that was a given.  I'm surprised there is not more information floating around about what is going on with him. 

Bruce has commented on him a bit in his pressers. Basically the time lost in the Fall hurt his progress and Bruce didn't put him in a good position putting him out there to run the offense. Said he should have had him playing more 2/3 but nows he's behind other players, especially with his bad play right now. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Bruce has commented on him a bit in his pressers. Basically the time lost in the Fall hurt his progress and Bruce didn't put him in a good position putting him out there to run the offense. Said he should have had him playing more 2/3 but nows he's behind other players, especially with his bad play right now. 

I dunno, I suspect he's not really healthy yet.  Bad play doesn't seem to keep anyone else from getting minutes at the 2 or 3.  We just haven't seen any play.  Knee surgery is a tricky thing.

Edited by Cardin Drake

Picking a nit but I wish Johnson would stop playing to the crowd every the occasional  time he makes a positive play. That particular schtick gets old when you ass up 3 consecutive plays then pander after actually making a good play

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 1

I still don't know why Bruce refuses to integrate Berman into games more. He can clearly shoot from the perimeter, and is one of the few who can. And we desperately need it.

On 12/28/2022 at 8:15 PM, fishepa said:

Yup. Jaylin was in great position there though. I think Castleon was surprised. 

Yes. As Castleton drove and shoved with arm extended (again!!) Jaylin receded and Castleton had no body to absorb his force, he lost his balance falling forward and bounced the ball off his foot. Well played by Jaylin.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 9:43 AM, gravejd said:

This is spot on. Lose games like that at home and finishing in the top half of the league becomes a challenge this season. 

To your broader point: Looking way ahead, we can’t afford to strike out on scoring talent on the perimeter come portal season. The complimentary pieces are all in place to be great otherwise. 

Edited by Dunndone414

On 12/29/2022 at 2:16 AM, GwillMac6 said:

What are you talking about!? The stats are identical besides the clear difference in assists.

B3A6CB19-E6A1-45B1-A390-238B04329D0E.png

Not referring to stats. Wendell is definitely a smarter and more reliable guy in these high pressure situations than he was last year.  

On 12/29/2022 at 4:18 PM, KansasTiger said:

I still don't know why Bruce refuses to integrate Berman into games more. He can clearly shoot from the perimeter, and is one of the few who can. And we desperately need it.

Its his defense that keeps him on the bench. His lateral quickness is not enough to defend the perimeter consistently. 

23 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Its his defense that keeps him on the bench. His lateral quickness is not enough to defend the perimeter consistently. 

Ive seen his defense. He's not as athletic as most of the rotation, but he plays D hard. I think I'd take his minor lapses in athleticism on defense for ONE consistent shooter on the offensive end.

18 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Did you watch the So. Cal and UF games? The guys we've had on the court are getting blown past several times a game and surrendering layups anyway. Berman could hardly be worse and maybe he'll occasionally hit a 3 on the other end.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:02 PM, KansasTiger said:

Ive seen his defense. He's not as athletic as most of the rotation, but he plays D hard. I think I'd take his minor lapses in athleticism on defense for ONE consistent shooter on the offensive end.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you. I posted pre-season that we may need to go to him in an effort to find a shooter.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

Did you watch the So. Cal and UF games? The guys we've had on the court are getting blown past several times a game and surrendering layups anyway. Berman could hardly be worse and maybe he'll occasionally hit a 3 on the other end.

I did see it. Our guards gamble sometimes for steal with shot blockers behind them, its our style of play. CBP loves Lior, did a lot for him on the junior national team he was on. IF CBP thought he would help us win, he would be playing more. Trust me, the guy who can beat everyone on the team at horse and in shooting drills is usually a guy sitting on the end of the bench during games. 

My comment wasn’t about his ability on any one trip down the floor, it was about the idea of him getting a block of minutes in the 10+ range.