Women vs. SEC Opponents

slot canyon

I watched roughly the first half of our game vs Ol' Miss last night.  AU ended up losing by 32 points, 79 - 47.  They were down by 16 at half.  Did not make a 3 point shot the entire game.  Overall made 25% of shots from field and 61% of free throws.  Out rebounded 53 - 37.  I did not know we were picked to finish next to last in the conference in the coaches poll. Ole Miss was picked middle of the pack.  We were 2 - 14 in conference play last year.  Not sure what success would look like for this team but winning 4 conference games would be big improvement.  I have tried to be a fan of AU WBB but it has its challenges.  

• Like 1

With our start, i was surprised seeing how we were getting dominated.  Guess our pre conference was not difficult

• WarTiger changed the title to Women vs. SEC Opponents

Lost again today but at least the team was competitive. Another of those players Coach Flo ran off played a lot today. Lauren Hanson didn't score much but she's been averaging 19 points a game recently and plays a solid floor game. Coach Flo put together her best recruiting class, then ran several of them off because they "didn't fit her system". A good coach designs the system to fit the players,not the opposite. Another one she ran off went to Kentucky hurt us last year. I believe a third left AU for Florida State.

Oh well, Flo is gone now. Extending Flo's contract was Greene's second biggest mistake, right behind hiring Harsin.

• Like 1

In both games our starting PG was out. In the second game we lost coach moved our starting SG to PG and it helped but still to many turnovers..  In todays game the PG is key to a teams success.  Even with starting PG we would have lost first game but it would have been closer with starting PG in second game we probably could have won as she makes everybody around her better.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 12:54 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

In both games our starting PG was out. In the second game we lost coach moved our starting SG to PG and it helped but still to many turnovers..  In todays game the PG is key to a teams success.  Even with starting PG we would have lost first game but it would have been closer with starying PG in second game we probably could have one as she makes everybody around her 

Yes, us not having Honesty is hurting us. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Coach Harris must have read this board and decided something had to change or it would be changed for her.

I believe some of it is due to a couple of key players getting healthy.  I noticed Levy was not with the team last night and apparently injury related.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Girls up by 13 on Florida in the 4th with 4:52 left in game. While they are long way from the talent of the top teams in the country, they are improving. While some don't see the improvement with Coach Harris, I do. Defense is pretty good and they play hard. As @slot canyonpointed out, key players were out for several games (Coulibaly and Scott-Grayson in particular). It will take some time to overcome the last several years of ruining the AU Women basketball name in terms of getting top talent .

• Like 3

3 in a row for the first time in 6 years. You can see improvement. These young ladies have spunk. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, autigeremt said:

3 in a row for the first time in 6 years. You can see improvement. These young ladies have spunk. 

sorry couldn't resist I love this scene 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

sorry couldn't resist I love this scene 

Ed Asner was great in every role I ever saw him in. 

• Love 1

13 hours ago, akillshot said:

Girls up by 13 on Florida in the 4th with 4:52 left in game. While they are long way from the talent of the top teams in the country, they are improving. While some don't see the improvement with Coach Harris, I do. Defense is pretty good and they play hard. As @slot canyonpointed out, key players were out for several games (Coulibaly and Scott-Grayson in particular). It will take some time to overcome the last several years of ruining the AU Women basketball name in terms of getting top talent .

These last games with the players returned from injury have been better. We still have a long way to go. Coach Flo left a mess but it's now time for this team to step up to being a mid-level SEC team. Maybe we can make it this season, maybe not but next year is a must.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

These last games with the players returned from injury have been better. We still have a long way to go. Coach Flo left a mess but it's now time for this team to step up to being a mid-level SEC team. Maybe we can make it this season, maybe not but next year is a must.

At beginning of SEC season when we got blown out by all those teams we had key players out due to injury. With most key players healthy now we are playing at mid-sec level.  Because of early injuries our record won't show that but recent play does. We still need a big talent infusion to both be able to handle  injuries and to move up to top of mid-level SEC teams. I do believe we are headed in the right direction.

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

. I do believe we are headed in the right direction.

I am hopeful but have my doubts. By this time next year we will know a lot more.

• Like 2

Oh my goodness.  Auburn should have extended the win streak to 4 games today.  I only saw the final 90 seconds.  Unreal at the momentum swings in that short time.  Auburn loses by 3 in the end. 

Auburn tied at 51 with 40 sec left. Then in back to back to back plays, Aub gets rebound as falling down. She passes the ball before fully falling but called for travel anyways. then ...

Ark drives lane and they call an Auburn foul (despite perfect defense and all ball, no foul). Ark only makes 1 and Aub calls timeout to advance.