Women vs. SEC Opponents

slot canyon

Then auburn calls an unbelievable inbounds play. We pass it to a breaking player near the rim and she scores but they call a foul before the shot. Arky player pulled jersey on the break. Ruled intentional foul. 2 shots and ball and down 1

Then gets a 5 second call before inbound ball and Arky ball. They make both and we miss desperation 3

We lose by 3. Sorry for the weird formatting.  My phone no longer cooperates with the site for some reason.  Frustrating as hades lol

We probably won without giving the foul before the bucket but we had the best chance to win after and screwed it up royally 

• Like 2

And they came back from 13 down at half.  So valiant effort, then didn't close it out.  Auburn never led.  Only tied 

This was an ugly loss. All losses are bad but they aren't all ugly. This one was ugly. To cap it off, four players stand around flat-footed while our final chance to win gets blown up on a five second out of bounds call.

I'm glad I didn't go to this one. If I had started thinking about the game while driving home I'd have probably rammed my truck into a telephone pole. :(

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

This was an ugly loss. All losses are bad but they aren't all ugly. This one was ugly. To cap it off, four players stand around flat-footed while our final chance to win gets blown up on a five second out of bounds call.

I'm glad I didn't go to this one. If I had started thinking about the game while driving home I'd have probably rammed my truck into a telephone pole. :(

I haven't watched much of them this year, but knew they were on a streak.  With the game close, decided to watch to see if they could make it 4.  Beautiful pull up jumper to tie at 51.  Then a mixture of untimely/unfortunate calls and mishaps, and just plain out choking it away.  Disappointing to say the least.  Although Johnny was none too pleased herself.  Maybe they can bounce back. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 10:11 PM, Mikey said:

Our ability to make a basket is putrid.  Terrible. Horrific.  There are a lot of high school basketball teams that could have beaten the team I sat and watched Sunday at the Arena.  Talent evaluation across the board in the sport of women's basketball is really bad. 

• Like 1

Took another drubbing, this time 46-69 at bammer. I'd really like to see something positive here, some indication that there is a future for this team and coaching staff. Right now we fans have got to look mighty hard to find some light.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Took another drubbing, this time 46-69 at bammer. I'd really like to see something positive here, some indication that there is a future for this team and coaching staff. Right now we fans have got to look mighty hard to find some light.

And a 31 point loss at home to Bama The Women’s team hasn’t beat our arch-rivals in three years.

We have taken some drubbing's this year there are a some reasons for that. One the SEC has some of the best teams in the Country, two the new staff has only had one full recruiting year to beef up our talent level and three we have had some of our best players out at various times due to injury and finally we have had some execution issues maybe because our starting PG was out injured.

Next year is when we should start to see some serious improvement. We will have two full recruiting classes and hopefully the injury bug will have passed us by. With the quality of Woman's basketball in the SEC especially at the top it will not be a quick turn around. Ideally next year we should be a solid mid-tier SEC team then each year there after moving up the ranks.  One key piece which will help Auburn basketball both men's and women's is a separate practice facility for basketball as Pearl has already said that  scheduling conflicts impact both practice and at times recruiting.

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Next year is when we should start to see some serious improvement.

Should have seen serious improvement this year. I think it's next year or else next coach. We didn't need to compete for the championship this season, but we should have been mid-pack in the conference and we are more than a couple of injuries away from that.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Came from behind to win by 10 against TAMU!  Keeping it going. 

That’s a positive step. The ladies have doubled their number of SEC wins from 2 to 4 with a few games left in the season.

• Like 1

Today's loss at Knoxville (76-83) was at least an acceptable game. Playing this well in some other games would have produced wins. Oh well, onward and upward!

• Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Today's loss at Knoxville (76-83) was at least an acceptable game. Playing this well in some other games would have produced wins. Oh well, onward and upward!

I agree. They were within striking distance for the most part. I just get frustrated when I compare our lack of length to some of the other teams we play. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 1:13 PM, all4AU said:

If we beat Vandy, I believe that would be enough to make the WNIT, which has 64 teams so a .500 record or better should do it.

My question would be whether an NIT bid is really worth it?  The NIT is a tournament you pay to play in.

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

My question would be whether an NIT bid is really worth it?  The NIT is a tournament you pay to play in.

Young team that needs experience…. Undoubtedly yes. 

Team won their 5th SEC game today. So progress from only 2 in 2022 and zero in 2021.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Team won their 5th SEC game today. So progress from only 2 in 2022 and zero in 2021.

Yes they did. Blew a 13 point lead in the final minutes but hit 2 of 3 free throws with 4 seconds left to get the win. This against what is one of the few conference teams that we have an advantage over athletic-wise. Yes, Coach Harris needs another year. No, the progress to date has not been what was hoped for.