We need linebackers

gr82b4au

13 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

A lot of them and good ones. Anyone left in the HS ranks or portal? 

I'm afraid that most of those ships have sailed. We'll be in a fix, more so in 2024 than in this coming season. What we've got coming back can possibly be patched together to make a serviceable if somewhat weak LB corps. '24 will need a complete overhaul.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

A lot of them and good ones. Anyone left in the HS ranks or portal? 

We have plenty of depth there. I count 13 from this link...14 if you include Vaccarella!. Now granted 3 graduate, but that leaves 10. That's 3.3 per position. That's more than enough.

https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/roster?sort=position

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

We have plenty of depth there. I count 13 from this link...14 if you include Vaccarella!. Now granted 3 graduate, but that leaves 10. That's 3.3 per position. That's more than enough.

I think we only have 6 scholarship LBs.  Riley, Woodyard, Tisdol, Asante, Steiner, Gordon

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Are they good though? That's the question

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'd hope we could get some contribution out of Riley and Woodyard.  Rest are sketchy 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd hope we could get some contribution out of Riley and Woodyard.  Rest are sketchy 

Sounds like we need linebackers then 😂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Sounds like we need linebackers then 😂

I'd say we do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

There will be some enter the portal after bowl season is over.  

There are like 8 teams left playing.  Lots already transferred from those teams.  This feels like ppl saying "don't worry, there will be spring transfers too" when 90% of the kids that will transfer are already in the portal

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I think we only have 6 scholarship LBs.  Riley, Woodyard, Tisdol, Asante, Steiner, Gordon

55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

katena-sarcasm-tbv-sarcasm.gif

Those were the exact phrases by one that always defended the awesome OL depth. Hell, I even listed a deep snapper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Those were the exact phrases by one that always defended the awesome OL depth. Hell, I even listed a deep snapper.

I just shook my head when I saw a roster question 😂

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Someone got so focused on OL that they forgot about the LBs... Or maybe it was the other way. :dunno:

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Here's the difference, for the uninformed. The 3.6 OL per position were SCHOLARSHIP players. It would take 10.8 SCHOLARSHIP linebackers to be equal. We don't have them. But, some apparently aren't man enough to take their loss and move on.

Or, it could be some sort of weird self-flagellation that makes a poster bring up his embarrassing moment again and again at random intervals. Going on three/four years now and he still can't let the beatdown go. There should be some form of help available for that strange ailment.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Here's the difference, for the uninformed. The 3.6 OL per position were SCHOLARSHIP players. It would take 10.8 SCHOLARSHIP linebackers to be equal. We don't have them. But, some apparently aren't man enough to take their loss and move on.

Or, it could be some sort of weird self-flagellation that makes a poster bring up his embarrassing moment again and again at random intervals. Going on three/four years now and he still can't let the beatdown go. There should be some form of help available for that strange ailment.

The help is good all around recruiting!! Hope we have that capability.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

How many of our LBs would start on any SEC team much less the top four conference teams?  The answer to this question will speak volumes regarding the “must have” for quality LBs. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Gr82batigr said:

How many of our LBs would start on any SEC team much less the top four conference teams?  The answer to this question will speak volumes regarding the “must have” for quality LBs. 

I agree, it's quality not quantity. We went 2010 with just Bynes mostly. He was a warrior. We had Stevens too and he was pretty good but he got hurt

1 hour ago, Gr82batigr said:

Quality matters?

Interesting.

What's your take on long snappers?

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree, it's quality not quantity. We went 2010 with just Bynes mostly. He was a warrior. We had Stevens too and he was pretty good but he got hurt

Bynes was/is a beast!  Didn’t he start as a true freshman?  He’s still in the NFL with the Ravens. We haven’t had many LBs that good and that durable. He’s been able to stay healthy for a long time. He’s up there with Mike Kolen and Gregg Carr for favorites at AU in my book. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gr82batigr said:

Bynes was/is a beast!  Didn’t he start as a true freshman?  He’s still in the NFL with the Ravens. We haven’t had many LBs that good and that durable. He’s been able to stay healthy for a long time. He’s up there with Mike Kolen and Gregg Carr for favorites at AU in my book. 

My favorite is Karlos Dansby but I'm with you Bynes is one of my favorites. I don't think he even gets a smidge of respect and credit that he deserves. He should damn near be a household name imo. But yeah man we are on the same page!

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, ClarkGriswold said:

Any one else you might have forgotten? 🤣

image.jpeg

Never seen a head as a complementary piece to a neck like that. It’s usually the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

What's your take on long snappers?

My take is they don't play linebacker. They line up on the O-line. Why someone would list a LS as a linebacker is quite puzzling. Drinking early on New Year's Eve?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

My take is they don't play linebacker. They line up on the O-line. Why someone would list a LS as a linebacker is quite puzzling. Drinking early on New Year's Eve?

I wholeheartedly agree. They shouldn't be considered at positions they don't play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1