We need linebackers

gr82b4au

On 12/31/2022 at 9:19 AM, Mikey said:

I'm afraid that most of those ships have sailed. We'll be in a fix, more so in 2024 than in this coming season. What we've got coming back can possibly be patched together to make a serviceable if somewhat weak LB corps. '24 will need a complete overhaul.

I agree 1st on numbers then on quality. of the 6 we have Riley and Steiner are only ones with any real PT under their belts and neither set the world on fire but both have potential. Woodyard might be ready to step up this year a full year past his injury. Asante who was a starter on previous team never stepped up. Powell is a tweener between LB and Edge Rusher but if adds meat might help at edge or LB.  

If we don't have any luck in the Portal I was wondering if we have a safety or 2 who could play LB.  Zion Pucket is 6' 227 pounds and Cayden Bridges is 6'2" 202 pounds. I grant 202 pounds is light but he could probably add 10-15 pounds and with a real need to have LB's that can cover TE's and RB's out of the backfield converted safeties sometime work out.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Where is Caleb Wooden at size wise? Big enough to play linebacker?

No, he's way too lite. Around 180-185, I believe 

I agree we could utilize 1 stud LB for sure!

1 minute ago, Hopsing said:

I agree we could utilize 1 stud LB for sure!

IMO, if we're transitioning to a 3-3 we need to sign ~3. If we return to a 4-2-5, then I believe 1-2 is all we need in this class.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That is why when I mentioned a couple I excluded him. Pucket is close on size and Bridges has the frame if he could add weight. Ideally though we get 2 portal lb 's and then recruit the heck out of 2024 LB's.

• Like 2

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

That is why when I mentioned a couple I excluded him. Pucket is close on size and Bridges has the frame if he could add weight. Ideally though we get 2 portal lb 's and then recruit the heck out of 2024 LB's.

I was honestly surprised not seeing ZP move down like Herring did.  I think his game translates to the old school Strong safety, Darren Woodson/LeRoy Butler type.  I'd like to use him as the star in a 4-2-5.  Ideal hybrid.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I was honestly surprised not seeing ZP move down like Herring did.  I think his game translates to the old school Strong safety, Darren Woodson/LeRoy Butler type.  I'd like to use him as the star in a 4-2-5.  Ideal hybrid.

@bigbird How is the recruiting affected between a 4-3-4 straightup  vs  a 4-2-5 hybrid? Also, do we currently have personnel that fit one better than the other?  WDE

35 minutes ago, AU North said:

@bigbird How is the recruiting affected between a 4-3-4 straightup  vs  a 4-2-5 hybrid? Also, do we currently have personnel that fit one better than the other?  WDE

In a 4-3 you'll have a Mike, Sam, and Will.  The Sam is usually a bigger LB, the Will is usually faster a faster LB, and the Mike is typically the run stuffing thumper.

In a 4-2-5, you have two ILB, a Mike and a Will. The Mike is usually a bigger, run stopping type and the Will more of a speedy cover type. The "star" position can either be a rover type like Kam Chancellor or a DB like Charles Woodson. It depends what you want to do.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

IMO, if we're transitioning to a 3-3 we need to sign ~3. If we return to a 4-2-5, then I believe 1-2 is all we need in this class.

I think we need 3 due to injury stand point 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigger1985 said:

I think we need 3 due to injury stand point 

I definitely can see that too.  Hopefully we see some develop

I feel like I Read somewhere that one of our safety signees may be able to play some LB. I want to say it was Terrence Love??  Any truth to that?  

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what our defense does this year. I think we legitimately want to play a 3-3 but because of our lack of linebackers, I am not sure that is what we will do

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what our defense does this year. I think we legitimately want to play a 3-3 but because of our lack of linebackers, I am not sure that is what we will do

That's going to be the future I believe.

I have a feeling linebackers will get covered. Hopefully people will realize it’s not about finding 5 star players. Depth and hopeful contributors 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok hold up. For the past two coaching regimes fans/media have identified where the holes within the roster are. After the identification, those holes have remained unfilled. Apologist then state for us all to just trust the coaches. Wash, rinse, & repeat. Now when fans/media are identifying holes, word gets out that coaches are working on them. There is no doubt that coaches working on it has nothing to do with fans/media identifying it.  Even in the event that the holes still remain unfilled, it means that they are at least identifying the needs properly. What it means to me is that the current coaching staff is deserving of the trust we have been told to give the past two regimes.

LSU transfer linebacker DeMario Tolen is visiting Auburn less than 24 hours after entering the transfer portal.

Edited by Chaotic_zx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 4:13 PM, TXaubie said:

I feel like I Read somewhere that one of our safety signees may be able to play some LB. I want to say it was Terrence Love??  Any truth to that?  

I read the same. Said he may slide down from safety to play LB.

Edited by TeamZero77

On 1/6/2023 at 6:59 AM, Chaotic_zx said:

Ok hold up. For the past two coaching regimes fans/media have identified where the holes within the roster are. After the identification, those holes have remained unfilled. Apologist then state for us all to just trust the coaches. Wash, rinse, & repeat. Now when fans/media are identifying holes, word gets out that coaches are working on them. There is no doubt that coaches working on it has nothing to do with fans/media identifying it.  Even in the event that the holes still remain unfilled, it means that they are at least identifying the needs properly. What it means to me is that the current coaching staff is deserving of the trust we have been told to give the past two regimes.

LSU transfer linebacker DeMario Tolen is visiting Auburn less than 24 hours after entering the transfer portal.

Signed, sealed, delivered!

• Like 1